Author Topic: 27 months no solid poos  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Tay

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
27 months no solid poos
« on: January 22, 2012, 17:22:25 pm »
DS is 27 months and has never had solid poos. He had/has reflux and still takes meds for it and I always wondered if it was related to some food intolerance, but this was never diagnosed. DD was MPI but again never diagnosed properly- she was a very 'colicky' baby (now I'm convinced it was silent reflux), had all sorts of bowel diffs but it was only when I decided t stop BF and she took a skin reaction to formula that the GP gave her soy formula; but as I said with no proper diagnosis. She still suffers from eczema if she drinks too much milk.

DH and I really want to start potty training but with no solid poos this becomes very difficult.
Question is: what do I do? and How do I go about it?
I mentioned to the paed who dismissed it (the same paed that dismissed that he could still be refluxing at the age of 24 months, sent him for a Barrium swallow test who proved he is still refluxing). Should I do an ED? What would I use for milk substitute (if anything)?

I have approached the HV about it who wasn't very helpful and started wondering if it was any point taking him to a private clinic - or is it better to do an ED first?
TIA
xxx

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
Re: 27 months no solid poos
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 17:48:49 pm »
Tay just one thought, my friends LO is v like this and she thinks it's cos he's always thirsty so drinks a lot! He won't drink water so it's a fair but of juice/squash, and that's prob why he has soft poos...Not saying you ply him with juice of course, just worth a mention! Xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 22:39:30 pm »
Hi Tay,

A tricky one when he is that much older  ???  If you were going down the intolerance route, I think a private doctor would either say eliminate it and see what happens or send him for allergy tests. If it is just loose stools then it is not a fast reacting allergy.

So if you suspect it is food then certainly take out dairy for a couple of weeks and see what happens. It can't hurt. Try oat, hemp, coconut milk. Maybe not soy for the time being.  ???

Offline Tay

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 20:08:23 pm »
Thanks for the reply girls, DS doesn't drink that much water/ juice for it to be the cause, but I'll definately keep an eye for that, can't hurt can it?
Yes, I think I'll try cutting out the dairy for a couple of weeks to see if there's any difference (would probably be a good idea for DD as well to see if the eczema improves) and then go to the doctor armed with more info. Will look in the supermarket for Oat milk, never seen it before (but again wasn't looking for it :) ). Would I get it on Asda?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 20:15:12 pm »
It is in the long life section, away from the fridges  :D

Offline Tay

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 20:37:42 pm »
:) Thanks! DH will be away the first weekend in Feb and I might start then (easier without him giving into the kids... lol )

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 20:42:27 pm »
Tay.  sorry for tmi, but DS does have solid BM but not always.  In fact he has BMs almost after every meal and there is so much poo out of him, so usually only the start is more solid, the rest is just ... u know how it goes...    maybe coz he just eats a lot.  it is as if once he starts, the bowels just clear themselves. 

I am not sure if soft stool would be a problem for pt.  DS does his bm mostly in the toilet now and he just sits there with a favourite book and he could be at it for a very long time ::) 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 20:43:44 pm »
It does sound like a dairy intolerence, esp with the eczema -

Oatly is the oat milk - the red one has added calcium, the organic one doesn't ::) Vitalite and Pure sunflower are both dairy free. I used the marg and milk for cooking etc using "normal" recipes. ReadyBrek (or the supermarket own - pretty sure they are all readybrek!!) is a really good source of calcium.

I would get your dr to refer you to the dietician so you can get some advice, but if not I can tell you how I did it with M (through advice of dietician) around the same age.  The dr prescribed Neocate to ensure he was getting enough of everything, so you could ask your dr for it (with O I just asked for Neocate and even had to spell it out!).

posted same time as last 2 posts!  M's stool used to be like cake mix when on dairy/soya !!

L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Tay

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 21:17:52 pm »
I'm so 'off' doctors at the moment that I would prefer to have more info about what is going on before going back to him, iykwim. So I would appreciate any guidance!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 09:01:00 am »
I can post (maybe even email) you the dairy free info I have - it tells you how much calcium they need and how much is in different source, using a star system so really easy.  Would you be able to have a phone appt and ask your dr for Neocate, explaining that your LO has dairy intolerence so you would like a dairy-free formula to ensure your lo is getting enough fat etc (or if he is over 2 I suppose he may be okay with other sources of fat and using oatmilk, etc) .... maybe someone on here can advise about that part???  I am happy to talk you through the dairy-free bit but not sure about if he would need neocate etc .... (I realised that M was under 2 when I did it as it was before O was born!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Tay

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 16:10:27 pm »
Found and bought the Oatly!

I wouldn't imagine DS would need the Neocate as now, (or maybe I'm wrong?) the only milk he takes is a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening, most of his diet at the moment does come from solids anyway -so I would imagine he should be able to get the nutrition from that source and from the substitute milk.

I am not sure if soft stool would be a problem for pt.  DS does his bm mostly in the toilet now and he just sits there with a favourite book and he could be at it for a very long time
I agree with you... I think because of him not talking much yet we have also been postponing it. One thing at a time I guess...

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 17:04:19 pm »
I wouldn't imagine DS would need the Neocate as now, (or maybe I'm wrong?) the only milk he takes is a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening, most of his diet at the moment does come from solids anyway -so I would imagine he should be able to get the nutrition from that source and from the substitute milk.
that's what I thought too but wasn't 100% so didn't want to say it! ;)  M's dietician said Oatly is low in fat (like semi-skimmed milk) but was happy with him on it since he always gained weight well - I suppose at age 2 you can move to semi-skimmed milk anyway so that fat thing probably isn't an issue.  if you want me to,  pm me your address and I will post the calcium/dairy free leaflet (photocopied) to you - realised printer isn't connected to computer so easier just to photocopy it on the printer!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 17:30:33 pm »
Oatly enriched has plenty of calcium but yes the fat content is equivalent to semi skimmed. I make sure Olly has plenty of avacado (luckily he LOVES it) but also oily fish, cook in olive oil etc.

Offline Tay

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 20:03:45 pm »
I always gave DS semi-skimmed from he started on cows milk anyway (because DD was already drinking it and he's a big boy the HV didn't think it was a problem).
Just pmd you my email address!

Like the idea of Avocados, I love them but haven't really tried it with DS. ill def try.

Gave both DD and DS the Oatley tonight and it went down a treat, they both LOVED it! Might adopt it anyway.