Author Topic: How hard is it to switch back to breast?  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: How hard is it to switch back to breast?
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:16 am »
I have heard from some ladies that swaddling helps, provided it doesn't put her to sleep.  :) 
You sound like you're doing great! :)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:38 am »
Great job! Just imagine us all cheering you on and fixing you a tea as you try to relax! (Or as it's imagined anyway- we can be fixing you a wine if you like!!)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 13:12:59 pm »
THE most frustrating part, though, is she has to have her hands near her face, and trying to battle her arms out of the way just so she can latch on is a bit annoying

DS was exactly the same, and he outgrew it lately... I'm so glad it was really a hassle to try to get him to latch on.  So hang in there, once she gets the hang of it, I think it'll pass.
Elise

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 14:43:32 pm »
Could well be a TT - DD had a posterior tongue tie and lipstick shaped nipple following feeding is a classic sign.  Nothing looked wrong with her tongue (she could stick it out, you couldn't see any tight skin under it making it heart shaped at the end etc which are more anterior TT signs) but her tongue just didn't make that wave pattern when she was sucking as it was tethered at the back under the skin.

Often TT babies will have a disorganised suck/swallow pattern, so will gulp quite a lot and then breathe and then go back to gulping, rather than the suck, suck, suck, swallow that you often hear described about BF.

That said, some babies will feed absolutely fine with a TT and they do sometimes stretch over time as well.  If you're getting pain and there are any weight issues, I'd get TT assessed by someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. who doesn't just take a quick peek into LO's mouth to have a look - sometimes you need to get a finger in and have a feel too) and go from there.

Good for you for getting her back to the boob, though!  Well done!!
*** Amanda ***

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 00:33:01 am »
Okay, I may be too excited about baby puke, but oh my!! She spat up! And quite a lot, which makes a small part of me sad, but a larger part of me squealed with joy knowing she's getting some milk. She's been going 2-3 hours between feeds but does take awhile to eat. approximately 30 mins or so, compared to her 10-15 minutes of eating. I'm not entirely sure she's getting her fill, as she often falls asleep at the boob  but I'm learning to trust her.

Fiver, I'll make sure to have whoever is at our breastfeeding clinic has a good look in her mouth, as well as our doctors when we go for DD's vaccines. And thanks! I'm seriously a happy mama. She's even starting to refuse the bottle a lot more, which surprises me. But I got what I wished for! :D
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline ENMS

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 00:35:31 am »
Glad to hear that Heather-Lynn!

DS takes a good 20 minutes to feed, sometimes even 30 so that's not too much I think.  To wake her up you can undress her when you feed her and if it's really an issue, use a cold washcloth to rub her, it'll do the job I promise you!

Congratulations, you can be proud of yourself! :D
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 02:15:22 am »
:)
Keep it up!  You're doing an amazing job!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 09:58:17 am »
Hamish was probably at 20-30 minutes at 2 months so that sounds fine- AND fell asleep almost EVERY TIME!! Sometimes i'd change his nappy and he's STILL be asleep!! She's probably getting to be satisfied!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2012, 20:36:56 pm »
So happy for you!  The sick not quite so much so, but sounds like you're both doing great :)
*** Amanda ***

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 21:47:59 pm »
Well, we went to the breastfeeding clinic. The nurse stuck her fingers in DD's mouth, and I watched her. She said her sucking reflex was great, her tongue was fine, and there was no reason why we can not breastfeed.

HOWEVER... what I was doing wrong: because of my "geography" of my nipples (haha! I almost giggled at this when she said it lol) I had to shift DD a little to get her to latch correctly. Also, I was shown how to hold my breast wrong. As soon as I changed those two little things ta-da! No more lipstick nipple! I almost cried. Another big HOWEVER is DD is a refluxer, AS I SUSPECTED in the first place. I had issues in the bottle department, (theres a thread of mine in the bottle forum) and suspected DD had all sorts of classic reflux symptoms and I have brought it up many-a-time with 3 different doctors and a nurse and none seemed unconcerned. This nurse spotted it off the get go, and I almost cried again because I couldn't shake the feelings that something was not right with DD. She said because DD doesn't cry after feeding, as long as I manage her reflux (changing diapers before feedings, holding her over my shoulder after feedings, among a few other things) medication is not nessecary. Yes, DD is uncomfortable, its very apparent, but it isn't too bad. It will just take time.

Gosh, I'm so proud of myself. And I'm so happy to have your ladies' support :). I'm half tempted to discard/donate all my bottles to other pregnant mamas. Although I think I'll keep one or two for flexibility should I want to go out.

:)
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2012, 21:51:47 pm »
I'm almost crying for you!! What a lovely result!! Perhaps ditch one or to bottles for the gesture- like a celebration- but keep one or 2 DEFINITELY!! You will- at some point- be happy to get out and about- (and all this ill be a blip at the start! 'oh it was hard to start, but it's been great ever since!). Hugs on the reflux! Make sure you go back to the dr if you feel it gets any worse!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Fiver

• Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2012, 22:22:33 pm »
Oh that's really great that you've got that IRL help and reassurance.  Hoping you can keep the reflux under control
*** Amanda ***

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 00:23:11 am »
WONDERFUL!! I'm tearing up remembering my own moment like that. Its so nice to feel like someone 'gets it' and gives you advice that's useful :D

Love the 'geography of the nipples' - that's awesome.

So glad things are going better.

Offline ENMS

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 00:42:06 am »
So glad things are going well now!!

Hope the reflux does not get worse!
Elise

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2012, 02:35:39 am »
So glad that you got the reassurance and validation that you need.  :)