Author Topic: How To Start Solids? HELP  (Read 1282 times)

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How To Start Solids? HELP
« on: January 23, 2012, 13:14:53 pm »
Im way overly organized and always a good note taker. My son is 3 1/2 months and way to young to start but I know the time is coming soon so I want to be ready with a plan in action ! He currently follows a 4 hr EASY drinking 5-6oz bottles. I just need tips on beginner steps on how to start. Rice cereal first or straight to pureed foods like sweet potato or avocado? Do you just give them one meal in the beginning? Ive read milk first then hour later give solids. Is there a guide of the min. formula with solids that he should be getting at what months? Any tips and or instruction would be great!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: How To Start Solids? HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 13:49:32 pm »
Hi have you read through the FAQs and this forum, there is lots of advice and tips out there!

You can start on either cereal or purees. Some babies find rice binding so come off it again quickly.

We started with lunch, one hour after the 11am milk feed.

Not sure about formula but I imagine it would stay the same at first as solids are not meant to replace milk until much later.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 00:14:09 am »
If you wait until 6 months old you can go straight to finger foods (know as baby led weaning, there's some info in FAQs) and family meals so long as they are healthy.  Or even a mix of purée and finger foods.
We did BLW and loved the experience and didn't have any problems.

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 21:26:49 pm »
Hi!

My LO is 7.5m. We started weaning her when she was 6m. I have followed the plan suggested in the BW (available on the FAQs) and it has worked a treat. I also give my LO different foods to hold and try herself, which sometimes she does but usually it ends up on the floor.

Good luck!  ;D