Author Topic: Milk first/solids first? 9MO  (Read 1242 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Milk first/solids first? 9MO
« on: January 24, 2012, 19:45:44 pm »
DS is 9MO and still having milk (BF) first when I can manage it (read: when he's not at day care who seem to think he must eat before he will sleep!) After he's been at day care and had that happen, he's up for two NF's... and if they don't feed him snacks he STTN as he has since he was 6MO.

So... if it ain't broke, don't fix it OR do I just have to bite the bullet? He just won't take a decent milk feed if he's had solids first, even if there's 1.5hr in between.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Milk first/solids first? 9MO
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 00:19:48 am »
I always did milk first and solids an hour or more later (the only difference being the last milk of the day just before bed) and never saw any need to swap it around.  Gradually the day milks became sippy cup milk with a snack, then water with a snack.  Still have two milks, one first thing (before breakfast which is about 1.5hr later) and just before night sleep.

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 14:30:33 pm »
I never switched the milk/food around. The daytime feeds dropped as the solids increased just leaving the am and pm milk feeds.

Offline becj86

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:19:00 am »
Ok, I'm not feeling so crazy now. I'll just keep milk first and drop a day feed in a month or so.

I've decided not to leave solids at daycare with him. I'll bring his lunch with me when I go up to feed him and only bring him one option. If he doesn't eat that, tough.  I'm not getting up for multiple NFs because they can't follow basic instructions like 'no snacks'.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:53:50 am »
It must be really difficult when day care don't follow those sort of instructions.  Not been in that situation myself but I knew someone with a child with a dairy intolerance and the school continued to give her dairy snacks :(
It shouldn't be such a battle!

Offline becj86

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:46:53 am »
Yeah, at least I am only 100m away and can force them to do it my way by not leaving any food there for him (they don't provide food). I'd be livid if they gave him something he was intolerant of. Our day care is nut-free because one kid has an allergy...

I think its quite common for day care centres to just give a kid food when they're fussy instead of redirecting them to a new activity. I've known of a few BFing mums who've had heaps of trouble supplying enough milk for daycare to be going through four 7oz bottles of EBM in 9 or 10 hours, so I'm lucky I can just walk up the hill and feed him :)