Author Topic: Nipple size too fast?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline flutie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Nipple size too fast?
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:35 am »
We switched ds to a level two nipple yesterday.  He went from taking over twenty minutes to feed (leaving an ounce or two) to downing his bottle in less than ten minutes.  (He is a slow gainer and has not doubled his birth weight yet so I am happy he is eating more.)  If this too fast?  He seems to be gulping and choking a little...will he get used to it, or should we switch back?  Also, I am pumping (due to tongue tie and relux) and notice that he is struggling more with morning bottles when the milk is more watery...would it be okay to use a level one at this time and two the rest, or would this just confuse things??  Thanks for your replies!
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Nipple size too fast?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 21:40:49 pm »
My two were both able to drain a 9oz bottle in less than 10 mins so it sounds fine to me! It can take a little wjile to get used to a new teat so he should get used to it soon. With the first bottle I'm not sure really. Try the slower teat for that feed and see, I would probably stick with the same teat all day but I hate faffing around and I'd end up confusing myself!

Laura

Offline flutie

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 22:09:47 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply.  Today was a little better, so we are sticking with it.  I was going to start to introduce some formula soon, so maybe I will add it to the first bottle to thicken up that milk a little.
Lisa

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 22:16:23 pm »
Glad today was better!

Are you switching over to formula or just doing a couple of formula feeds? I don't think formula and breastmilk mixed will make it any thicker - formula isn't much thicker unless you are using an easy digest formula!

Laura

Offline flutie

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:52:29 am »
Was just going to supplement a little to see how he handled it (we had a hard time weaning ds1 as he didn't do well with cows milk and also reacted to most formulas)
Lisa