Author Topic: milk for MSPI  (Read 6117 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« on: January 26, 2012, 14:41:20 pm »
I have a 1 year old who we suspect has MSPI. I was wondering if it would be ok for him to drink Lactaid milk.  I was looking on the label and it says it contains milk and then the lactase enzyme.....it worries me.  He was on coconut milk and almond milk mixed but I feel like it isnt dense enough like the lactaid milk is.  But if its not ok, I will switch back and make up for the calories in other ways.  :)

TIA!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: milk for MSPI
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 15:22:40 pm »
Lactaid would be okay if he is lactose intolerant, but as far as I understand if he is intolerant of the protein that would still be in the lactose free milk.  I think if you can make it up by adding extra fats to his diet it will be fine!
Heidi

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 15:25:50 pm »
Ok, we are not sure what he is allergic to and we just have eliminated all dairy from his diet.  I started giving him 2 oz of lactaid twice a day since Saturday.  His constipation has been ok until yesterday he started getting hard again yesterday but I also decreased one of his meds so I am not sure what is to blame.  :)  I put the meds back up to normal dose today so I will know for sure what is causing the stoppage. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 16:11:38 pm »
If he has MPI (or MSPI) then the Lactaid will still be a problem. Lactaid only solves the lactose issue, not the whey or casein one. I'd stick with the coconut/almond milk TBH.

Avocado is a GREAT source of good fats.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 16:13:30 pm »
Thanks mom to m&m, I was thinking the same thing.  :)  Good thing I only bought a quart. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 16:52:11 pm »
I'd use it yourself and not give it to him, TBH. If you are worried with the density of the milk you can always do a higher % of coconut milk and less almond milk (the almond is quite thin). Are you using the full fat coconut milk in the can as opposed to the tetra pack/drinking one? The canned is a lot thicker with lots of good fats.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 17:08:08 pm »
Ok, I will cut it out.  I will also buy the one in the can, thanks so much for the advice!!!  I normally buy the one in the 1/2 gallon in the refridgerated section. :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 17:30:33 pm »
If you buy the one in the can it's more solid at first and a bit separated. I'd probably blend it for a few seconds with the almond milk before serving - you can always keep it in a glass blender container (or other glass jar) in the fridge and shake it again right before serving more.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 17:50:34 pm »
Hiya, you want to avoid anything with milk it in whilst you do this trial. If not you get in the situation you are in now where you are not sure if it the milk or the meds causing him problems. Only way to be sure is to be really strict I am afraid!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 17:51:37 pm »
Thanks so much for the tips! I am going on my lunch to check it out.  :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 17:52:51 pm »
you want to avoid anything with milk it in whilst you do this trial
I didnt realize there was milk in there until after I started giving it to him, or I never would have.  :(  I have been doing really good and being very cautious about everything I feed him.  I feel bad for not checking, I just trusted it was dairy/milk free.  Its kinda misleading on the label. 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 17:56:51 pm »
Don't feel bad  :'( it is SO HARD when you start out and we have all been there and made mistakes. You really to have check every label as you can get caught out with the oddest of things!

Have just had a look at the fat content of coconut milk - it 17% in the stuff you get in cans for making curries etc. Even full fat cow's milk is only about 3.5%  so coconut milk is high in calories  :).

HUGS xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 18:00:20 pm »
Yes, it's very high in calories. And thick. So I'd definitely mix it with something like almond milk - maybe even half/half if you use the full-fat cans?

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 18:55:35 pm »
Just got back from the store.  I bought 2 cans and it does have alot of fat (14grams) I still have some of the 1/2 gallon of coconut milk too so I will just mix all three until the others are gone.  :) Does it taste good?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 18:57:48 pm »
I think it tastes super yummy but I'm a coconut freak!

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 19:04:12 pm »
LOL, ok good! I love coconut too!!  I love the milk that they have in the dairy section.  :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 17:14:12 pm »
So we are on about 2 oz of the coconut milk and 5 oz of the store bought coconut milk in the dairy section.  The coconut milk in the can is sooo thick!! The dairy section milk is alot thinner but still makes the milk too thick for him to drink. He gets tired of sucking.  LOL  Should I water it down?  The coconut milk in the can has hardly any nutrients in it either.  :(

Offline birdie

• Showing Appreciation 127
  • Wyoming, USA
    • The Doula Advantage
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 17:49:11 pm »
My little MSPI boy has been on Rice milk since he was one. We buy it by the case.
Certified Birth Doula (CBI)

Mom of Four Angels: WENDY

Always Remembered: REECE BRADFORD born still at 38 weeks (August 4, 2006)

Our Miracle Boy: IAN MICHAEL (October 17, 2007)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 18:02:19 pm »
I'm not a fan of rice milk in large (or even medium) quantities due to its arsenic content. I'd stick then with the drinkable coconut milk (and/or almond milk) and make up the fat content in other ways (avocado, nut butters if allowed, eggs, etc).

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 18:14:42 pm »
So, should I continue using the can coconut milk and then the dairy section one combined?  Is that ok?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 18:19:45 pm »
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=210586.0

Hi, there is more info on this thread and the threads it links to. As far as I know coconut milk is fine. Rice milk isn't recommended in the UK until after 5 years of age.