Author Topic: Bigger bottles first?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Saskin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 27, 2012, 13:10:11 pm »
Hello,  my son is 5.5 months and is on a great 4 hr EASY.  The DF was always great for us but latetly the df started affecting his day milk.  I started phasing it out and I'm now at 2 oz at 830.  He has since ajusted his day intake and is downing 8oz bottles every feed.  He also has two solid meals of about 1 oz each for breakfast and after his cn.  So 34 oz in the day of milk and 2oz of solids.  I'm wondering weather I should increase his bottles to 9oz before adding more solids since he is still under 6 months... he is pretty big, 18lbs... but I wonder because the 2.5-2.7 rule has never really applied to him, he has never eaten that much... would be 45 oz right now??  

He sleeps through until about 645 in the morning with no nw or nfs...

Should I increase his bottles?  Or add more solids... and then decrease his milk at 6 months?  I don't want him to start waking at night because of hunger so I'm trying to nip it in the butt... any ideas?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 13:12:06 pm by Saskin »

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Bigger bottles first?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 13:30:56 pm »
I would add more solids, 34oz is a good amount but you don't need to decrease it at all when he gets to 6 months. Milk needs to be more important than solids until 1, so you should find that his solids increases gradually as he grows. When he gets to 9/10 months you can drop to 3 bottles and then down to 2 bottles around a year.

For now then increase his solids a bit and gradually work up to 3 meals, you can make his bottles 9oz as well, but don't reduce the amount of milk for a few more months yet! If you find his milk intake reducing as solids increase go slowly or even reduce a bit to keep his milk intake around the 30oz mark at least.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Saskin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 14:44:41 pm »
thank you Laura!  I will increase his bottles to 9oz and eliinate the other 2oz at 830.  I'll add a lunch too of an oz of solids.  I'll stay like that until he starts to look like he wants more food again.  Thanks!