Author Topic: 6.5 month old eats CONSTANTLY!  (Read 1347 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
6.5 month old eats CONSTANTLY!
« on: January 27, 2012, 20:54:02 pm »
Just asking for ideas for a good friend - her wee man is 6.5 months old, about 18 lbs.  He is currently eating a full 10 oz bottle every 2.5-3 hrs plus solids three times a day.

She offers things like oatmeal cereal, veggies, fruit.... she is avoiding dairy for now as he does seem sensitive to lactose (on lactose free formula)... he is eating 2-3 tbsps of solids at each offering.

A naturopathic doctor told her that meat proteins are hard to digest and would likely cause tummy issues...  ::)  I told her that grains can cause huge issues as well and not to be afraid to try something like chicken...

Any other ideas?  He is taking over 40 ozs of formula a day and is waking at night to eat as well!

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: 6.5 month old eats CONSTANTLY!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 21:21:10 pm »
I wonder if she should stretch the feeds to 4 hourly and see what happens.  I would offer more solids each meal-time - from the beginning (around 5.5 months) O was having quite large amounts of solids (as well as the milk).
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 21:22:33 pm »
She has tried to push out the bottles and he just screams his face off at her LOL!  I swear this kid has a hollow leg ;)

Have told her to increase solids too - he is fairly active so just needs more I think :)  Thanks L!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 21:24:43 pm »
No problems - honestly I think my boys are the same - it's ridiculous how much they eat! O eats as much as an adult does at lunch - a couple of ladles of soup, a whole banana and other wee snacky things too ::)

I would def increase the solids - just keep offering until he is full (and if it affects milk intake then you would see) :-*
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 21:28:36 pm »
That's what I told her as well...just let him decide when he is full.  Told her to offer an hour after bottle and see how he does.

He is napping right now and she is baking bread to make him an avocado sandwich for lunch :)

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 21:31:37 pm »
That's what we did too, an hour after milk :) 

p.s. That paints a lovely pic - I guess she has him on EASY? ;)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 21:51:02 pm »
She is trying but is battling with short naps ;)  The Eat bit is really getting her in a mess now!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:35 am »
I think I adapted everything so that we ended up with
milk 7am; breakfast 8am, milk (later snack) 10am; lunch 12; snack/milk 3pm; dinner 5pm, milk 7pm.  I think some days he would actually have milk just before a nap etc sometimes or go for longer spells without food then eat when got up.