Author Topic: milk for 16 month old  (Read 1592 times)

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My gorgeous little girl
milk for 16 month old
« on: January 28, 2012, 20:04:47 pm »
Hi, my Lo is almost 16 months. She was only drinking about 90ml milk in her morning bottle and then not very keen on breakfast so I decided to give that milk in a cup instead (about 4 weeks ago) with her breakfast to encourage her to eat more porridge which has worked but she would have a maximum of 3 sips and that was it. Now she wont even drink it at all. She has a full bottle at night before bed and loves all other dairy products. Do you think I should stop offering her milk in the morning? IS she getting enough milk? What will happen when it's time to drop the evening bottle? Should i start adding a bit of milk to her tea (she likes redbush- a South African herbal tea).
Any thoughts?
thanks  ??? 

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: milk for 16 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 20:10:29 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much.  I forget off the top of my head how much dairy they're meant to have but you can give it as yoghurt, milky sauces etc.

I have to admit I don't 'get' people giving their kids tea, herbal or otherwise.  I think Redbush tea still contains tannins (but less than normal tea) which can harm iron absorption (although that might just be iron from vegetable sources so if she eats lots of red meat and liver etc, you might be fine).
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 21:51:40 pm »
thanks!
she only has the tea about 3x a week (about 1/4 cup) and it has 1/10 of tannin in normal tea. i'd rather give tea than juice.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 07:14:40 am »
Oh I agree but why not just give water?  I think it's just under half the tannin of normal tea unless you have a low tannin brand.

Anyway, it's just my opinion, it's completely up to you and frankly none of my business!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:42:14 am »
thanks for your advice. would you still offer milk in a cup in the morning if she's not having any?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »
I'd just play it by ear.  She might change her mind in a few months but if she doesn't want it and isn't bothered, maybe I'd offer one mid morning instead?

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 19:49:46 pm »
Good idea. i'll try that.. thanks :-)

Offline Texomamama

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 13:23:22 pm »
I would also discontinue offering the milk in the am, at least for a while.  At this age, it is not like you can force anything on her.  Also, I have always found it frustrating to offer something and have it refused, esp at this age where their ability to communicate the "why" verbally is pretty limited, kwim?

Offline julesdq

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 19:45:51 pm »
ok thanks. i didn't offer it today and won't for a bit.
i just wonder what will happen when its time for the night bottle to go..