Author Topic: baby food maker?  (Read 6956 times)

Offline bbsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 30, 2012, 14:42:23 pm »
Hey everyone, just getting prepared for our next stage and thinking about making baby food.

Beaba babycook, ultimate baby chef, or baby bullet?

Or should I get an electric steamer, and I already have a food processor?

I only work one 8 hr shift a week, but I really dislike being in the kitchen, so I need simple, fast, and easy clean up. Any thoughts? :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: baby food maker?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 18:23:35 pm »
Anything you can whizz small portions of food up in really! Does your processor have a small compartment?

It depends on what you are making really? Do you think that you will make things like casseroles or bolognaise? A slow cooker/crock pot is good for bulk making that you can whizz and freeze in portions.

Offline bbsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 13:31:31 pm »
My food processor is a small one, but I do have a crock pot.  Great Idea!  I would have never thought of that.  At first I will just make single veggies and fruits, but eventually I Plan to mix things. 

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 14:09:48 pm »
I just use a small handblender to whizz up anything for Oliver that is too lumpy, etc (just a really cheap one).  Also have a steamer for steaming veggie.  Casseroles are great once your lo is onto more adult-like meals.  Another good thing is large ice cube trays - so you can freeze small portions (ideal for early solids, but also when older as you can defrost a few quicker than defrosting 1 large helping) :)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Diana1981

• Mama de Yeyo y Yoyo
  • Showing Appreciation 74
  • My angels
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 14:18:03 pm »
Ice cube trays! Great idea! Never thought of it

As you become more clear about who you really are, you'll be better able to decide what is best for you - the first time around

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 08:38:07 am »
I just used a normal blender and made bigger quantities and froze in silicon ice cube trays as one of the PP suggested.  I wouldn't use normal ice cube trays as they can shatter when you take out the cubes. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 21:10:39 pm »
I used normal ice cube trays without an issue - just watch that the ones you have are BPA free ;)

I had a Bullet but found this to be the quickest and easiest thing to use:

http://www.braun.com/global/household/food-preparation/multiquick-hand-blenders/multiquick-3.html

I used the stick blender with the little food processor attachment :)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 20:36:40 pm »
That's the other reason for using silicone, it doesn't contain BPA.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 14:47:07 pm »
I used a Baby Bullet and I absolutely loved it :)  Also, like many of the other ladies I made big batches and froze it in ice cube trays...I probably only made baby food once a month because when I did I made enough to last and did tons of combos.  After he didn't need really smooth purees I just used a food processor.  I never did meat in my bullet though, only in the food processor.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 21:10:07 pm »
I really dislike being in the kitchen, so I need simple, fast, and easy clean up. Any thoughts?
Do BLW (baby led weaning) and skip the whole purée foods part altogether.  Much simpler, no need to make different food for LO, no extra clean up (apart from the floor) and no need to worry what your ice cube trays are made of.

I use a steamer that goes on the hob rather than an electric one.  Wouldn't be without it.