Author Topic: Not finishing bottles  (Read 2215 times)

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Not finishing bottles
« on: January 30, 2012, 16:33:06 pm »
Hello.. my DS is 6.5 months old and has been on EASY since 3months and is FF, STTN(7-7)since 4months with no DF.
We started solids early at 5months, but only once a day. Now at 6.5 months he eats 3 meals a day. He doesnt eat his veggies willingly we have to trick him by sneaking spoonfuls in in between cereal and fruit.

In recent days he hasnt been finishing his bottles. Normally 8oz/bottle 4 a day. This morning he had only 6 oz, and now his 11am bottle only 4 oz. yesterday was similar and his BT bottle he only ate 2oz. He is eating a fair amount of solids around 4-6tbsp per meal, one hour after a bottle.

Is this ok? I thought reducing milk intake doesnt happen until 10+months.
Melissa

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Not finishing bottles
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 18:25:05 pm »
If he isn't getting enough milk then you need to think about cutting his solid foods back at that age. Just for while and then gradually increase again.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 18:31:31 pm »
I agree - sounds like quite a bit of solids for his age. I would scale back the solids until you get his milk back to where it was and then gradually increase the solids again.

Laura

Offline darcys mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:03:19 am »
My little one isn't a huge solids eater, now just over 9months, but he did the same at around 7months old and I ended up dropping him down to 3 bottles per day, 1 at wakeup, then lunch time and at bedtime. It was early, but got the ok from HV and he is now starting to do the same thing again, will probably wait a few more weeks to see how he goes then (again on HV advise) look at slowly decreasing the lunch time bottle down. HV said this was ok to do just as long as he gets 2 servings of dairy ie. cheese or yoghurt to get his calcium intake. She said that usual advise is to keep to 4 until 10months, then 3 until 12months but some babies just drop them earlier, I guess my little man is one of them!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 08:36:40 am »
I don't think 3 meals a day at 6.5 months is bad, just perhaps decrease the quantities and I wouldn't sneak in any food, just try him on it, if he says "no" at that age it doesn't really matter if he eats or not, especially as he's dropping milk.  Also at 6.5 months I'd make the food a bit more interesting.  Introduce meat, cheese, fish etc.  You might find he refuses broccoli on it's own for example but mixed with mashed fish, mashed potato, milk and cheese it might go down a treat.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 21:13:52 pm »
I agree with LT - start mixing things together :)  A steamed and pureed pear will make any veggie a hit when mixed together.

And also, yes, reduce his solids... the amount of solids he gets should have little to no effect on milk intake.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 14:11:19 pm »
A steamed and pureed pear will make any veggie a hit when mixed together.
yes - works here!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 21:22:24 pm »
Ha! Agree completely! I thought at 6.5m LO were meant to have about 8 to 12tsp of solids per meal or is that just the guidance suggested by Tracy given it says to adjust according to child's appetite??

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 21:23:34 pm »
Always adjust to LO's appetite ;)  Some will chow down and others will barely eat anything... this will also vary over the course of the day and day to day as well :)

Solids are only for fun before 1 so no pressure to eat a certain amount at all.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 21:28:25 pm »
8 - 12 tsp sounds very prescriptive and my (very good eater) was probably not eating anywhere near that much at that age.  I'm sure your appetite is different to the next person's and also varies from day to day right?  So why not in babies?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/