Author Topic: tongue thrust reflex  (Read 1078 times)

Offline dizzy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 31, 2012, 15:30:03 pm »
My lo is 32 weeks and we have been doing first tastes since christmas but he is really not that bothered. he is much happier sucking on a piece of cucumber or carrot but isn't actually getting any of it.
I notice that he often pushes the puree pear etc back out and I think he may still have his toungue thrust reflex? Is this possible? Should I be worried if he has?
I am not sure how to get him to eat more and I also think porridge, breadsticks and toast may be irritating his tummy as he was uncomfortable when he went to sleep and winging and crying out when trumping but on Sunday I cut it back to just pear, carrot or pear mixed with apple in puree and cucumber, carrot, mango, pear and oven chips in finger food and he seems better.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: tongue thrust reflex
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 22:44:15 pm »
I don't know if it's possible to still have tongue thrust at this age.
But perhaps he isn't keen on the texture of the puree pear?
My DS has always pushed out mashed potato, he can't stand it.

Solids and gas can interrupt sleep when you start out.  If you suspect certain foods I'd hold back for a little while and re-introduce them at a later time and see if there is improvement.  Also offering solids a decent length of time before sleep can be helpful, then they get to move around and pass the gas before they go to bed.