Author Topic: Low weight gain - need reassurance please  (Read 1510 times)

Offline becj86

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 346
Low weight gain - need reassurance please
« on: February 03, 2012, 05:48:34 am »
DS is 9.5MO now and 8.56kg. He has put on 260g in two months. Granted, he was off his food for a bit with teething and he is incredibly active (walking already and literally will not stop moving during his A times) but he puts away what I consider to be quite a bit of solids in his 3 meals per day (he'll scoff an entire banana in a few minutes and then stand in his chair and dive at my food on the table) as well as 4 BFs per day.

The health nurse seemed a little concerned (I did go and weigh him as I thought he may not be growing much since I haven't put him in bigger clothes for 4 months) and he's certainly not following the curve weight-wise, though his head circumference and length are still increasing as expected. She asked if he was having snacks as well as 3 meals and 4 BFs. Did anyone have their baby on this much food when they were this young?

I'm not particularly worried, but don't really want to tell DH this as he'll say its time for formula (again). I will tell him and we'll have another lively discussion, but it'd be nice to know we're not the only ones whose kid is not gaining due to activity level.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Low weight gain - need reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »
Sounds like he's doing great.  Weight gain does slow down once they're moving about a lot and if they've been unwell.  How far has he dropped on his centile curve?  Are you/your DH quite tall/slim?
*** Amanda ***

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:49:19 pm »
I had two slow gaining BF babies who were both following their curves and perfectly fine.  Trust your mommy instinct, it is always right!!  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 13:19:17 pm »
I think he sounds fine - my LO was in the same clothes for ages, and as she walked early too her weight gain around 8-10 months was minimal, although she did get quite a bit taller. She was on 4BFs and 3 meals, but no snacks. I'd say she's put on about 1kg total in the past 4 months and is 9kg now at 12.5 months.
*Nuala*

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 13:25:04 pm »
My DD is slim too and always has been and her weight gain is pretty slow despite her eating like a horse. We swear she has hollow legs! Tbh we ended up stopping getting her weighed. DH took her recently and she'd hardly put any weight on but now I try to assess by how active she is, how her eyes and skin are glowing and the fab condition of her hair, and her general mood! Oh and not forgetting the monster nappies.

DD is not really a big snacker, now she's dropping the afternoon feed she has a snack but usually it's 3 meals a day with occasional snacks if she's having a hungry day.

I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. I'm sure you would know if you there was a problem. :-*

*Nicola*

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 14:17:24 pm »
When I saw your post title, the first thing I thought of was activity level, your little guy is just so active!!  I would agree with everyone else, he sounds fine!

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 00:31:28 am »

I did tell DH last night expecting the formula talk again but he said DS is active, been off his food with teething and I shouldn't worry... so much for knowing my DH, eh? Oh well, I think I just needed a few other perspectives, this health nurse is the one who helped us get BFing established well when I was losing chunks of nipple here and there and she has been so supportive, so to have her wanting to check his weight gain sort of knocked me a bit, but I think since the rest of him is growing and he is so active, I'll not worry so much about weight as an indicator.

Also very nice to know I'm not the only one with a 9MO kid not having snacks as well as 4BFs and 3 meals!