Author Topic: How long was your LO in a high chair?  (Read 1994 times)

Offline FroggyMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
« on: February 02, 2012, 14:36:17 pm »
DS is about to be 2 yrs 2 months old.  He is still mostly eating in his high chair.  I have been contemplating moving him out of the high chair for about a month or so now.  Truthfully, he is in the 90th percentile for his size, and I have a bad back.  So, lifting him in and out of it several times a day is starting to wear on me.  Also, I just found out this week that I am expecting baby #2 in October!!!   ;D   So, I may not be able to keep lifting him in and out of the high chair for a long time.  However, I did not want to move him out of it to early and mess with his eating routine.   He is a very good eater!  :) 

How long did your LO's stay in a high chair?  When you took them out, did they go in a booster seat?  He got a toddler size table for Christmas, and I considered using that as well.  Thanks ladies!

Offline lilisuze

• Showing Appreciation 46
Re: How long was your LO in a high chair?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 14:52:40 pm »
we went straight from high chair to toddler table at about 2 y 9 m and it went fine. I bigged up the table and how it made him and big boy, and he sits nicely at it. he is now 3 and 90 cm tall and can sit fine at the big table with dh and I and DD in the high chair. does he go to daycare? at ours they don't use a high chair at all but until age 2 they have the wrap around Velcro straps on toddler chairs
Little dude (2008) spirited monkey boy
Little pink (2011) textbook princess

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 15:07:41 pm »
No, he does not go to daycare.  He stays at home with me.  Hmm, I have not heard of the wrap around Velcro straps on toddler chairs.  Is that something I can buy and just attach to toddler chairs I already have?  Do you think 2 yrs 2 months may be too early?

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 15:10:35 pm »
following with interest. My DS is 2 and 2 mo too, and still in the high chair.
Barbara

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 15:16:14 pm »
we have a travel wrap called tot seat. it fits on any chair and works great. it would probably fit on a toddler chair, I'll check!

Offline Seona1973

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 18:52:33 pm »
both mine started using a booster seat at the table from about 18 months

Offline mickey44

• Showing Appreciation 25
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 18:53:58 pm »
we moved DD out of the high chair and into a booster seat with a belt a couple months before she turned two.  It worked great and she loved eating at the table with mom and dad and there was no risk of her getting out because there was the belt to strap her down just like a high chair.  She is able to climb in and out herself with a hand from mom or dad but no heavy lifting!!
Stacey

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 18:54:55 pm »
We moved to a booster seat at around 2 I think - we were having some issues at mealtimes (throwing food etc) and it really helped with that.
Catherine x

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 19:20:45 pm »
I am sure Olly would love going into a booster seat but we don't have another room at our table for another chair really so will be hanging onto the collapsable high chair for a bit longer  ;)

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 19:24:57 pm »
DS2 moved to a booster chair at the Kitchen island at about 18-19 months...he wanted to be on the same level as everyone else
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 20:07:41 pm »
Oscar was still in the highchair until he broke it - due to his size and weight LOL! Well over 3 yrs before he was out of it - I know as they were "sharing" it. We never bought another proper one - just a Antilop from IKEA for Emma as she was around 8 ish months when Oscar broke the proper Chicco highchair....

I replaced the straps on the IKEA highchair with a five point harness for Emma and we used it as a kind of booster from the beginning with her. She's the better eater by far. Since around 2.5, she'll sit on a real chair, on her knees, at the big table with us all but if its crowded and we have guests, she will go back in the Antilop when asked ;-)

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 20:49:07 pm »
Yeah, we also use Antilop of IKEA. It's cheap, so we've bought one for home, and one for both grannies. But we are using it with the tray, so it's like a normal high chair. We never miss a proper high chair :) I'm thinking to move DS in a booster at our table, but this would mean to move from our small kitchen (where there is space only for two at the table) to the living room... and this would mean more cleaning, especially on the floor... probably I'll wait a little more  ::)
Barbara

Offline FroggyMom

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 21:38:22 pm »
Lilisuze, I googled tot seat, and it looks like a product offered in the UK?  Is there something like that in the US?

I also like the idea of a booster seat as some have suggested.  DS's high chair is actually a 4-in-1 deal that came with a booster seat.  Before he got the toddler table at Christmas, I thought about trying out the booster seat.

Oscar was still in the highchair until he broke it - due to his size and weight LOL!

Siobhain, this sounds like something that would eventually happen to my DS!  He is already so big at 2!  LOL!

Well, I decided to give the toddler table a try for lunch today....figured what could it hurt?  I sat on the floor beside him the whole time because I was worried he may flip out of the chair.  But, he did great!  I thought he would try to get up and run around instead of eating, but he did not do that at all!  Hmmm....just can't decide....

Offline Canadian_Mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:04 am »
For us I started doing snacks here and there with DS at the kitchen table and him sitting on a normal chair just after 18 months, then we moved to removing his tray from his highchair and pushed him up to the table, like a booster, to eat (we have the fisherprice space saver which I love!!) and continued with the odd snack/meal sitting on the regular chair.  Around two years old he totally started to refuse to sit in the booster (had occasionally refused it up until then) and we just ditched it and meals have gone good for the most part!  Though there are the odd meals where I wish I could tie him in and make him sit there.

DS is also in the top percentile for height and he sometimes will eat sitting normally on the chair, but on the most part he sits on his legs.

Glad to hear that the toddler table worked good for you!

Hope that helps!!
-Nadia

Offline lilisuze

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 09:06:28 am »
frog mom, sorry I'm in the UK, didn't know it didn't market elsewhere. if not maybe I'll make my millions by shipping them mmm there's a thought lol!

I'd go with the toddler table, sounds like he did great