Author Topic: MSPI and eggs  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
MSPI and eggs
« on: February 06, 2012, 16:58:47 pm »
Naturally I will ask my son's GI Dr at our appt at the end of the month but I was wondering what the opinion here is.

Wyatt has a milk protein allergy, dairy causes him severe allergic colitis.  No one has told us not to trial eggs, but I'm curious if anyone else with a MSPI baby has been given any info regarding the introduction of eggs.

Thanks in advance!

Z

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 17:11:55 pm »
Zoey my DS was MSPI and I found any help from professionals was SO varied and opposite that I just had to make up my own mind! ::) Paediatric consultant who diagnosed him told me that he had signs of being a 'typically allergic baby' and so go slowly, be careful, stay away from other allergenic foods, and so on. He referred us then to a hospital paediatric dietician who said 'ok so he can't have milk and soy, why are you worrying about other foods, worry about then when he shows you he is allergic" ::) 

So basically I went with my GP's advice was that no matter what I did was right and wrong at the same time so make up my own mind.  (Great help they all were eh?!)

I thus avoided egg whites until DS was older than 1 - I waited until about 14/15 months I guess - but I did give him egg yolks.  The white is the part that is more likely to be allergenic and the yolks are usually not.  So I just separated them, added a wee wee wee bit of his formula and made them into scrambled eggs for finger foods. He loved them.  They were a bit hard to cook because a yolks is so small so I would often do up three yolks at once and put the cold leftovers in the fridge for a meal later that night as well!

HTH!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
Re: MSPI and eggs
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 17:20:27 pm »
With Masyn I was super cautious, she was MPI but outgrew by 12 months, and had no other allergies/reactions...I still didn't feed her eggs til 1, seafood & nuts til 3. She is fine with every kind of food now.

With Spencer (MPI too) I threw caution to the wind and fed her egg yolk at 7 months, had a reaction (hives and very cranky, not sleeping, diarrhea) then again at 13 months with the whole egg and same reaction.  I did do seafood at 3 and it was fine, but I still don't have the guts to try nuts of any kind. 

We have a huge family history of allergies/asthma so it freaks me out! 
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 17:47:48 pm »
MPI is different to having a true allergy. IMHO Ithink I would have been less cautious with an MPI baby than a baby with a milk allergy.

I have read on this board about Paeds who have advised against eggs and others who advise against wheat. Not sure if any of it is conclusive  ???

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 17:53:52 pm »
MPI is different to having a true allergy.

That's true...which I guess is why I was less cautious with Masyn, but by the time Spencer was eating solids she had 2 first cousins with anaphylactic allergies (now that total is 3)
Heidi