Author Topic: milk intake for 13 month old  (Read 1698 times)

Offline mjohnson33

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« on: February 03, 2012, 15:39:02 pm »
My DS is MSPI and is on coconut milk, which he loves!!!  He has never been a huge milk drinker, since about 10 months he only had about 15oz of milk a day in 3 bottles.  Then at age one he decided he didnt want the afternoon bottle anymore so we went down to 2.  A 5 or 6oz in the am and then a 7oz in the pm.  Lately I barely can get him to drink 2-3oz of those bottles at a time.  He absolutely hates his milk in a sippy so I dont know what to do.  He does drink all his other liquids in a sippy all day long but when I put the milk in there he acts like its poision.  Does it sound like he is ready to quit milk all together or the bottle??  BTW, he was diagnosed on Tuesday with an ear infection and a sinus infection so I dont know if that has something to do with it or not. 

He eats great so I can just substitute real food in place of the milk and I do give him yogurt for the calcium as well as vitamin D drops.

Just didnt know if this was normal?  ???

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 14:58:33 pm »
Anyone have any advice on this?? I have a call to his pedi regarding it as well.  I am very nervous about this b/c he gets a stool softener every morning and its in his bottle but if I cant get him to drink it I am worried he is going to get backed up! :(

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 19:59:08 pm »
I would think if he has an ear and sinus infection that could well be affecting his drinking - I believe it can cause quite a bit of pain to swallow so that's probably why his intake has gone down. I would persevere and see where he is at when he is completely better. It's also pretty normal for LOs to drink anything from a sippy apart from milk - I guess they just get used to the fact that it comes from the bottle and that is that..! I wouldn't worry about ditching the bottle at this stage, just wait and see if he starts taking more when he is feeling better. Yoghurt and cheese are a great way to get the calcium into him in the meantime.
And would it work if you put his stool softener into another drink in his sippy??

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 20:03:50 pm »
thanks!  I cant give him cheese b/c he is intolerant but I do give him coconut yogurt.  I talked with the doctor and they said dont worry about it, so I wont.  :)

I did put his stool softener in his sippy but it takes him a little longer to drink that vs. the bottle so I dont know if its as effective, but we will see.  Thanks so much for the reply.  Tomorrow is day 7 on the antibiotics, so he should be almost recovered by now.

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 20:09:52 pm »
Hope the little man feels better soon :)

Offline mjohnson33

• Showing Appreciation 2
  • Cole
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 20:11:06 pm »
Thanks, me too!! Its been a long week and weekend.  :(