Author Topic: 14 month old enjoys Mommy doing all the work...  (Read 1119 times)

Offline jennifer2012

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 month old enjoys Mommy doing all the work...
« on: February 04, 2012, 04:55:37 am »
Hi! First time on this wonderful site,,,,hoping someone can give me some direction.

My little guy is just about 14 months and has no desire to feed himself (unless it is finger foods), still throws his spoons and bowls around the minute they get on his tray and also has shown a hatred towards his sippy or any sippy cup for that matter, he will not drink out of a cup either. I have done a little research online to see what age I should really be pushing this stuff and it seems to vary....Am I trying to soon? If not, how should I go about introducing all of these new things again? And how do I get him to buy into it all?

This is our daily eating schedule..

7am   4 oz bottle of milk
8:30    breakfast with milk or water in a bottle (maybe 20z if I am lucky)
900    Nap with 3 oz bottel of milk
1100 snack with water in a bottle
1230 lunch with milk in a bottle
230 snack
300 nap with a 30z bottle
530 supper
700 snack
745 Bt bottle usually 4 0z

All day he gets water from a bottle.

Can anyone help me?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: 14 month old enjoys Mommy doing all the work...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 19:30:23 pm »
I wouldn't worry that he's not feeding himself with a spoon.  It was probably around 15 months my son really took to spoon feeding himself but sometimes the spoon and bowl still goes flying. 

Why don't you just move to finger foods for the time being? 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline jennifer2012

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 01:48:17 am »
He is still just as picky when it comes to finger foods and I am worried he is not getting much variety. He will not eat any veggies that are cut up, he will only eat them if they are mush.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:04:10 am »
I wouldn't worry too much about him feeding himself everything as long as he feeds himself a bit.  Why don't you both have a spoon so he can try but you can also help if he starts getting frustrated?  I found stickier foods best when he was first learning with a spoon so mashed potato and fish pie were big hits.

For the cup, I just kept offering, kept leaving one out (just with water in) on a table while he played and he got the idea.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/