Author Topic: The age old milk from a sippy cup battle!  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Bex09

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
The age old milk from a sippy cup battle!
« on: February 04, 2012, 23:31:43 pm »
So my DD is way too old to still be having milk from a bottle... I know! BUT she has it morning and BT and drinks it down so quick it hasn't really bothered me. A good few months ago we managed to get her drinking her morning milk from a sippy and all was going great. Then one morning she just decided she wasn't entertaining the sippy anymore and kept asking for her bottle, stupid me gave in to get her to drink her milk and we have never gone back! :-[

So first off how much milk should she be drinking at 20 mo? She currently has 6oz in the morning and about 7oz at BT. she also has yogurt, cheese, etc in the day and milk on her cereal too. Any brilliant ideas of how I can get her to drink milk from a sippy? Have tried a special new cup she chose herself, she just said "no milk". She will drink water or juice no problem from the sippy and has done from being 6 mo, but milk is a different story. I obviously want her to have the milk for health reasons but if I drop the bottles I don't see how she will drink it. I don't actually think she would miss them, she never asks for milk, if she wants a drink she says "juice" or "water". Any ideas? TIA.

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
Re: The age old milk from a sippy cup battle!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 23:50:05 pm »
I think if you just offer her the sippies (or even straw cups - they worked best for us at first), with juice/water for a while. If she doesn't take the milk in the cup then fine, just don't offer the bottle. She will be totally fine with no milk for a few weeks, especially if she is getting dairy from other sources. Later, once she's not had a bottle for a while, you may find she will take the odd cup of milk. When ds started on a cup he would never drink milk in it - only water or juice. But, after a while I was able to offer milk and he was fine. I guess the hardest time might be at bedtime if she is used to it during wind down. Maybe if you introduce something else that is novel as a distraction, and give her a cup or juice or water at that time instead for a while.
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline *jazzberry*

• The Lounge
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 119
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 20:14:21 pm »
We went cold turkey with the bottle with ds1 when he was about 2. He didn't drink any milk for a month or so but then suddenly started taking it from a sippy. Like pp said you could always give extra yoghurt/cheese etc during this time.
Have you seen this link?
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=67786.0

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 20:19:25 pm »
agree with what Becky said...theother thing I did and don't wnat to reccommend unless you as a parent agree is TV time while drinking milk form Sippy! That worked great for us with the boys. Its also how we wanted TV time, so we limit it to only thsoe 2 times in the am on waking and at bed time... DS1 is a grouch in the am and the Tv while milk helps me just wake up as well as him get time to stop being grouchy and that how our routine started.

TV doe snot interfere with their sleep and ebd time TV for boys is fruit and milk time.
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 20:45:08 pm »
Thanks ladies, looks like I will just have to cut the morning one first and see if I can get her to take it from a sippy instead. Just worried she will never drink milk again! Thanks for the link Jazz, will take a look. We usually do watch TV while she has her morning bottle and I have my coffee to wake up! So will keep that part of routine the same and see how it goes.