Author Topic: Could this be an intolerance?  (Read 2520 times)

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Could this be an intolerance?
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:00:30 am »
Hi all,

My DD (8.5mth) hasn't been a great sleeper for months now, wakes 4/5 times a night, not particulary hungry, will sometimes take milk but likely to bring it back up again, just generally unsettled, sometimes quite windy.

I've been making the usual excuses, routine not 100% great, maybe O/T, teeth etc etc but the a couple of nights ago she slept amazingly - 14 hours!!  :o

DH thought it was down to the tiredness building up but yesterday I realised that it was the one day when I didn't give her dairy during the day. She's a little thing so usually she has plenty of cheese, yoghurt and milk on her cereal every day.

When I was BF I did make the connection that on days when I drank a lot of milk she was unsettled but dismissed it as coincidence  :-\

Does this sound like it could be an intolerance? She had a yoghurt yesterday and again she had a bad night, so today we're going to have a dairy free day and see, but if anyone can give me any advice or point me towards some threads. I'm not sure what to do next if it does seem to be a dairy thing....

Thanks xx
Carrie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Could this be an intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:06:26 am »
Hi, it could well be but you will only know by taking dairy out her diet completely so early days yet. You will find lots of info on the Food Allergies and the Colic, Reflux and Crying boards.

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:56:02 am »
Ah...the Food Allergies board! thats the one, thanks! I knew I'd seen posts recently about allergies/intolerances, thought I was going mad when I couldn't find them  ::) xx
Carrie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 21:54:09 pm »
Hi if you want this thread moving over let us know and we can do that for you x

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:22:41 am »
Yes please if you could x
Carrie

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 14:06:04 pm »
Hi Carrie :)

What happens at night - is she crying?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 16:48:07 pm »
Hi Becky  ;D

Its not always the same, sometimes she just wriggles, fusses and moans as if uncomfortable, sometimes she wakes up with an awful high pitched scream, which we have to pick her up and comfort her to help her calm down. We went thru a couple of weeks where she'd be wriggling around awake for up to 2/3 hours in the middle of the night. Nothing we try really seems to help her that much, we kinda feel at a loss  :-\

We had a dairy free day yesterday and her night was better, she did have a couple of NW's but she's picked up a cold so was struggling to breathe which seemed to be the biggest reason for it last night, we've had another day of no dairy today so wait and see what happens tonight....

I could be way off....

xx

Carrie

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 19:26:59 pm »
hope you get it sorted. We also have weird NWings but with ours she is generally not crying, just not sleeping!!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 19:50:16 pm »
Hi, as I say the only to tell is to have a few days off the dairy, a week at least I would say. And a week when she is well so you are not left wondering was it the cold, was it the dairy etc etc.

Good Luck x

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 17:30:09 pm »
hey all, well we've had a few days of no dairy now and  she seems a lot better (naturally teething has kicked in, amazing timing!, so unsettled nights, but the behaviour is very obviously teeth pain/discomfort) so I think the non dairy is helping - famous last words  ;) ::)

Quick question - how are soy yoghurts/milk rated health wise for LO's? I bought DD a pot of Alpro Soy yoghurt today and she wolfed it down but the sugar content seems a little high. I'd like to be able to give her some type of yoghurt as she really loves it. Any recommedations? Also is there such a thing as dairy free/soy cheese? If so can any UK mums name a brand/place to buy?
Many thanks xxxx
Carrie

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 18:15:10 pm »
I thin soy formula milk is controversial but I am not sure about soy foods for a 8.5 month old - maynbe someonme else can advise.

You can buy a big pot of plain soy yoghurt. Those little fruity ones made Olly stay awake for ages at night when he was younger. I think it was the sugar in them.

I have found a soy cheese in an organic shop near me. I guess health food shpos may do them?

Offline caz2107

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 22:13:37 pm »
Thanks will check out some health food shops.
Sorry, I should have been a little clearer in regards to milk, I meant replacing cows milk, ie in cooking/on cereals etc with soy milk, I am keeping her on regular formula :-*
Carrie