Author Topic: Eczema flare on face - how long would it take after eating an allergen?  (Read 2440 times)

Offline C&B&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Just wondering what other people's experience is with how long eczema comes up after lo eating something they are intolerant to?

DD is 7 months and used to have eczema before I figured out she was MSPI.  Has all been clear for a couple of months.  But she came up with some new eczema around her mouth/ on her cheeks yesterday and it got worse today - scaley circles that are red, and some little red bumps.  We found out today that the bread I had been eating all day yesterday had got soy in it  ::) (my poor mum thought she had checked the label properly - so felt terrible when I phoned her to check today!) - but I wondered if it would be too soon for eczema to come up? 

She has started eating egg yokes the last couple of days so I was wondering if it could be that  :-\ - hoping not! 

Thanks
Claire x

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
Re: Eczema flare on face - how long would it take after eating an allergen?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 19:34:22 pm »
Hey Claire *waving* long time no see!  ;D

Alex was allergic to tomatoes when he was little, and he would get red, angry looking eczema all round his mouth, which would come up almost immediately, I am talking within minutes rather than hours.

Are you thinking allergy, or intolerance?

Did she have anything else she's not had before? What had she had to eat during the day? I spotted Alex's tomato allergy at 7mo as we went away for a week and he had loads of jarred foods for the first time- all of which had tomatoes in  ::)

This is a photo I took of him 2 hours after eating bolognaise when we were trialling tomatoes in his diet (it had actually gone down a lot by the time I took this!)

xxxxx
]

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 19:44:34 pm »
Hi kathryn **waves back**  ;D!

Thanks for replying.  Ben used to get a very similar rash when he had tomatoes - and it would come up almost straight away.  Hers isn't as bad as your picture of Alex - not as angry looking and has remained pretty much the same since yesterday. 

In terms of new foods - all she's eaten the last few days is pear, sweet potato, chicken, banana, avacado and eggs.  All of which she's had before, except the egg.  Which is why I'm wondering if it's the egg or the soy in the bread iyswim  :-\

ps - when are we going to get our ginger monkeys together again?!  I've got another one to add to the mix now  ;)
Claire x

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 19:49:19 pm »
The advice I got from the doc when I first suspected an allergy, was to eliminate tomatoes (or in your case eggs & soy) for 2 weeks, then try again. Hence the above pic- our thoughts were confirmed! Once that was confirmed we were told to trial it ever 6 months until he had outgrown it (at around 2 yrs in the end)

I would give it 2 weeks of eating stuff you know she is fine with, then try eggs again. Wait & see if there is a reaction and if not, she is likely to be fine. You could then wait a bit and tentatively try soy, and if there is a reaction you know that was the culprit?

Playdate sounds good- Fridays are the only day as I work 4 days (booooo). Can't believe E is a ginger monkey too, we will outnumber you in the room  ;D

xxx
]

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:36:44 am »
No!!!!!!!!! I want to come ;)

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!