Author Topic: No Spoon, Please!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 07, 2012, 04:11:02 am »
Hi, my son is 9 months and loves eating!  He likes to push the spoon away and would much rather use finger foods.  I've noticed, though, when I give him small soft things to eat (like sweet potato or carrot) they seem to come out pretty whole in his diapers.  I wonder if there are good finger foods that are easy to digest?  Is it a problem that the orange ones come out big?  He doesn't seem to like it.

He's fond of bananas and avocado (along with cheerios), but I need to keep up the variety and want to encourage his self feeding.  Would love some input.

Thanks!
Erica - learning something new every day!

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: No Spoon, Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 04:49:00 am »
Hi! Come and check out this thread for lots of ideas on self-feeding: http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=224254.0

Bananas and avocado are both great - what about other fruits like steamed or roasted apple (cut into wedges or crescent or circle shapes), pear (raw if very ripe, or steamed), watermelon, mandarin segments. For vegetables, how about broccoli florets (steamed just soft enough to mush in your mouth, but so they still keep their shape)? At 9 months, my LO loved pasta with sauce (a shape like spirals or maccaroni is easy to pick up), or rice with sauce. Meatballs, fishcakes, fritters, etc are all good things to offer that LOs can pick up easily. You want it to be big enough so they can hold it in their fist and still get at one bit sticking out, if that makes sense!

It's not a problem for some of the food to come through undigested - that's still the case for my LO at 12 months. Maybe try giving BIGGER pieces, rather than smaller, so he really has to chew with his gums and mush it to be able to swallow it!

*Nuala*

Offline iluvmyortiz1122

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:32 am »
My DD1 loved the mandarin oranges.  She wasn't ever much of a veggie eater, so I made sure to get some of those happy baby veggie snacks. 

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 16:03:31 pm »
I didn't think about making things bigger so he had to work on them more...I was just worried about choking!  Thanks for the tips and the link to the thread.  I usually cook for him with the anabel karmel cookbook.  I'll check out the thread!

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: No Spoon, Please!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:19:37 am »
He's much less likely to choke with big pieces than small :) Haven't seen the anabel karmel book myself but have heard quite a few people say it's a good one!
*Nuala*

Offline eshea

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 21:09:16 pm »
Tried some noodles last night and he did well...I'll add sauce soon and see how he does.  I noticed being really hungry also helps.  If he's just so-so hungry he wants to play more.

Thanks for the help!