Author Topic: Started Alimentum today  (Read 1351 times)

Offline ENMS

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 63
Started Alimentum today
« on: February 09, 2012, 00:38:28 am »
Hi! DS is 2 months old and has reflux, which is now under control with medication.  He's bottle fed with most feeds of EBM and 1-2 feeds of formula a day.  Ever since the reflux is controlled, I've seen an improvement in the crying and his general state during the day, but feeding time is still difficult. He chokes and can take up to 45 min to drink 4 oz, and cries on and off.  Usually when that happens I need to go in a room alone with him and put on some white noise to make him take his feed.

So the doctor today said to cut dairy from my diet and prescribed Alimentum. I gave him a feed with Alimentum this PM and he took it well, gulped 7 oz which is more than usual (but he had fed 4 hours before instead of 3).  Then at BT I tried to give it to him again but it didn't go well. Lots of crying, he seemed to maybe not like the milk? Should I start by mixing it with his regular formula? I'm a bit confused...

Also, the doctor said I would see results in 2-3 days, I was a bit surprised I thought it would take longer than that - any thoughts?

Thanks!  :)
Elise

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
Re: Started Alimentum today
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 15:14:32 pm »
Hmmm I tried again to give him Alimentum this morning and was faced with lots of crying! I am a bit stressed out because I cannot pump enough to give him all feeds of EBM in a day... and I would have liked to really completely clear regular formula from his diet to see results faster rather than later. I have cut dairy since yesterday at lunch.
Elise

Offline babymunkey

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Helen.....call me H
Re: Started Alimentum today
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 20:15:39 pm »
No help at all Elise, but hugs for you - it must be very frustrating - I'm sitting here pumping for the same reason, to try and eliminate formula completely, but Beth only has mild reflux so no feeding dramas.

Hope someone can shed some light soon

xx

Offline Little toes

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:41:11 am »
Hugs. Sorry, not sure what to tell you....wanted to follow along. I've recently tried Nutramigen, made him gassy and fussy, then Alimentum - less gassy but waking frequently. I'm BF, only want formula for 1 feed/day to give myself a break. Was just reading about up Neocate infant formula.