Author Topic: Refusing solids - 9mo  (Read 1307 times)

Offline MissyD

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Refusing solids - 9mo
« on: February 09, 2012, 15:57:51 pm »
Hi there :),

My DS started solids at 5.5mo and was eating pretty good up until recently.  Late January his 2 bottom teeth started cutting through and they are about 3/4 grown.  I am wondering if this has anything to do with his lack in wanting ALL solids?  The only things he will eat are crackers, puffs and bread.  But other than that, he refuses all meals :-\.  I know teething can cause discomfort but refusing ALL meals??  I am thankful that he at least still nurses, but now his NWs are increasing because he's not getting enough calories during the day. 

Also, DH and I were hoping to sleep train (3rd time doing PUPD) this weekend but with his refusing to eat anything, I wonder if we should push the sleep training until his eating is back to normal? 

I'd appreciate any advice or input.  Thanks!

-Mish

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Refusing solids - 9mo
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 00:22:53 am »
Teething can definitely affect solids. Just keep offering. Are you medicating for the pain? Have you tried offering cold foods like frozen fruit that would help his teething?

I would actually put off any sleep training until he is not having any discomfort from teething and you can be sure he isn't hungry at night. Pupd won't be effective if he is in pain or hungry, he'll just wake again shortly afterwards and it will take longer.

Hope he gets better soon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline MissyD

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:00:42 am »
Hi Ali,

I tried Tylenol today and so far his NWs are a lot better than last night (approx. 10 NWs!) I have a hunch that his lack of eating might have been bc he was waking at night, bc of teeth, and I am (was) feeding to sleep. Started to wean that today so we will see if my not feeding him tonight (plan on only feeding once after 3am) helps with his wanting solids tomorrow.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 15:18:03 pm »
He also may be entering an age where he only wants to feed himself. Some LOs go through this and do better if you start offering more finger food options. It may be a bit nerve wracking, but some soft cooked fruits and veggies or pastas....etc. may be some good options to start offering him as he may be more keen to eat what HE is feeding himself.

Hope it's just teeth or something simple and his appetite picks up soon!

Offline MissyD

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 16:20:09 pm »
With regards to finger foods... I tried giving more yesterday and he ate them easily, no fuss. However, I know that the amount he is eating isnt nearly as much as he eats when he has solids. Should i attempt to just feed him a lot of finger foods in the meantime just to get him eating?

And is I is it normal for kids to gag a lot???  I cute up his pasta and blueberries into smaller pieces but he still sometime gags and it freaks me out!  I gave him a long piece of veg (but it was steamed and soft) and he tried to shove the whole thing into his mouth!!  Should I let him do that? He doesn't use his front teeth to bite lol even though he has them.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 20:24:27 pm »
Yes I think gagging is just developmental and he needs to get used to manipulating the food in his mouth. I would let him do what he wants but obviously make sure you are always right there in case he ever chokes.

They do eat less with finger foods to start with but normally catch up quickly. You may actually be surprised how much goes down. I always feel my 6mo who just started blw a week ago is getting nothing down him but his poop tells me different. LOL.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 00:45:21 am »
Gagging is TOTALLY normal. My DS gags all the time still, but he generally figures out how to spit out what is too much or swallow what he has without issue. I am always right there just in case though. How about trying to offer some puree while he is eating/playing with the finger foods so he is "busy" and might not refuse as much of what you are offering?

He'll be fine. He'll probably make up what he needs nutritionally with milkfeeds until he is better at eating and then the quantity of food will increase.

Oh and I meant to say, I'd personally wait until you were on a good feeding routine before sleep training to make sure he is taking in a good amount of calories during the day. You can always try to resettle in another way before offering to feed at night to see if that helps. But once you know he's doing well with calories during the day, you'll feel more at ease with sleep training at night, ykwim?

Offline MissyD

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 02:33:02 am »
Nicole, we actually gave him a toy to distract him while feeding today and he ate ALL of his meals with minimal fuss because he was so busy thinking about something other than eating!  Also, I've recently (since Friday night) stopped feeding him to sleep at night and it has helped his day time feeds a lot!  Not only his solids, but definitely his milk intake :)  We plan on sleep training on Tuesday (tomorrow we have our weight check appt at the dr). 

And thanks for letting me know about the gagging.  It scares me everytime it happens, but you're right, how else will he learn if not for trial and error.  But I'll be sure to keep an eye out while he's still in this learning process. 

I also think I need to be more creative with the finger foods... so that's what I'll attempt this week.  So far he's been eating cheese, blueberries and bread -- aside from the baby crackers/puffs. 

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »
We find cheerios to be a good one (careful they do have added sugar/salt, etc. so not the BEST), pears cut up without the skin so long as they are fairly soft, bananas cut up, avocado cut up (the slimy things do better when coated with something to make it easier to grip, like a breadcrumb almost LOL), french toast, scrambled eggs, small pastas like pastina, etc.

(Some of these are from way back when DD was a baby as DS has more intolerances and food issues and can't have them all yet, so it's hard to remember what she could eat and when, but I know she was VERY good with finger foods by 12 months as at her bday party she was walking around with raw broccoli and chomping away on it LOL)