Author Topic: Sensitive to citric acid-Updated NOT sensitive?  (Read 4733 times)

atlantamomofthree

Re: Sensitive to citric acid, wdyt? Pics
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 01:38:32 am »
Ok, I'm struggling here and could use your help, ladies.  :-*

I thought it was citric acid that was causing Samuel to have the angry, red rash on his neck and chest (though the only thing *new* in my diet recently has been cranberry juice), and then after cutting all c.a. I saw a decrease in the rash, but it has never completely disappeared. When I had the tiny bit of barbeque sauce, the rash got bad again the next day, but then went down nearly just as fast that day.

Ok...I *originally* though the rash was because he has been drooling SO SO much.  :o But then I tried to fix it and I couldn't so I thought it HAD to be a food sensitivity. Kwim? So I looked for one, if that makes sense. Now I really am thinking it was a big coincidence because I have still been c.a. free and yet BAM today it shows up flaring red again!  :(

I did notice that he had (for some weird, unknown reason) been drooling less last week. Now it's water works again. Do you think it's possible that he's flared up due entirely to TEETHING?!  ::) My dd would get fevers when teething (like 102 , 103 degrees :-\) while ds1 didn't really have any "reaction" to it. I'm lost if it's not because of teething.

I just want to help the poor little guy.  :'( Are there any ways of helping with itching/discomfort without using a prescription? Was wondering about Aloe Vera since it helps with sunburn.

Thoughts, ladies?

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
Re: Sensitive to citric acid-Updated NOT sensitive?
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 03:56:31 am »
I just tried to post a pic with my phone but it froze :(

I use a cream called Cerave, which our dermatologist recommended when E was having an eczema outbreak. The stuff is great, cost about $20.00 CAD and lasts forever. There's no perfume and she's a super sensitive child (we still haven't figured out her issues) and she did great with the stuff. It gave instant relief. I will try to post a pic when I get a chance.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 04:01:11 am »
Trying again
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2012, 01:05:50 am »
What about Aquaphor?  It's a great barrier.

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 12:18:18 pm »
Thanks, ladies. :)

I haven't been able to go to the store since I asked, but I started using a little vaseline and then patting cornstarch on it. I bought new waterproof bibs last weekend (vs the thick cloth ones I had been using) and WOW can I see a difference! I think that what I thought was a food sensitivity was, in fact, a sensitivity to his own drool! Maybe *it's* acidic?!  ::) Anyway, now that his skin and clothes aren't staying damp, the rash is totally clearing up!  ;D

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 20:34:16 pm »
That's great! 

Offline stevesmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 22:19:56 pm »
perhaps use a cream designed for nappy rash...ie amolin, to hold the moisture off...or pawpaw ointment?