Author Topic: Waking up RAVENOUS!!!  (Read 1395 times)

Offline alarose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 11, 2012, 14:22:04 pm »
Hi Mums

So my 11mo ds has transitioned beautifully to one nap, but I've started to notice that he is waking up RAVENOUS after his nap and even in the morning. The amount of food he eats hasn't really changed, but I have changed when he gets it. Since he only makes it til about 11:30, I give him half his lunch before the nap and half afterwards. Maybe I'm missing something? Help please!

Typical day:

7am: Wake up and bottle (4oz)
8am: Breakfast (Fruit, cereal, tofu, yogurt)
11am: Fruit and half of lunch
1:30pm: Wake from nap (Was getting a bottle here, but I've taken it out to get him to drink some cows milk with lunch) He gets the protein and veg from his lunch here
5pm: Supper (Protein, veg, fruit)

After his nap he is inconsolable, and won't stop crying until he's fed.

Am I missing something?? He used to wake so happy...

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Waking up RAVENOUS!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 22:36:59 pm »
It is really common to have to be a little creative with the lunch when LOs move to one nap. As he gets older that nap will probably get later as he can stay awake longer before the nap. Then he will probably be sleeping after a more normal lunch time.

Can you give him the entire lunch before the nap and then a cup of cows milk and a snack when he wakes from his nap? Or what about having a snack like some fruit ready for him to munch while you do the rest of lunch? And protein apparently keeps us fuller for longer so it might help to do the protein part of lunch before his nap so he isn't so hungry when he wakes.

Another thought is that he may actually be a little OT until he gets more used to the 1 nap days and that is actually why he is crying when he wakes. My DS1 is grumpy even from a long nap when he was some accumulated OT (especially if I wake him) and I have to distract him before he'll cheer up. Maybe the eating for your DS is actually a distraction rather than it being that he is so hungry until he eats.

HTH.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:19:06 am »
My 21 month old often has his lunch at 11:30am still.  Why not give him his whole lunch at 11am and then a snack at 1:30pm?  Maybe some fruit and a cup of milk?  When kids get more active they can still be going through growth spurts too.  My son has just gone through one where every day he was at nursery he'd be eating two portions of lunch!  It lasted a couple of weeks and now he's back to normal.  
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Chicane

• Showing Appreciation 103
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:53:57 am »
My DS was the same - turned into an eating monster! We started to do lunch before nap - it was weird at first because in the early days of the 2-1 transition it meant lunch was at 11am, sometimes 10.45...slowly its moved later to a more lunch type time. It was better that way for us because then he didn't wake up starving and therefore cranky. I give him a snack soon after waking then another one at around 3.30 to get him through to dinner at at 5.30/6 pm

HTH

x

Offline alarose

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 13:15:15 pm »
Just wanted to give a quick update...

Thank you so much for the advice about giving a full lunch before his nap. It worked! He ate the whole thing on the first day and still woke up crying but was consolable. Then the second day not crying but just cranky. After a week and a half he is a grump for maybe 5 mins (which means I get some cuddles!) and then he's himself again.

Again - thank you, thank you!! xo

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 13:49:36 pm »
Aw good I'm glad it worked!  My son has been ill and more tired recently so we've moved lunch back to 11am and it's definitely better for him.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 14:06:09 pm »
That's great news.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011