Author Topic: Teething Problems with Weaning!!!!!  (Read 1745 times)

Offline mummyumpkin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Teething Problems with Weaning!!!!!
« on: February 12, 2012, 15:39:01 pm »
Hi, I'd just like a little advice/reassurance please.

My DD2 is 25wks old, 26wks on Tuesday and been showing lots of excitment and interest in our food and when we eat. I was determined to wait until next wk but caved in Thursday after DH has been so eagar to begin weaning for about 8wks or more!

We mixed a little baby rice with BM and sat her at the table with us at dinner time. The spoon went in, the face screwed up and the rice came out!!! We tried for about 10mins and possibly a little may have been swallowed! The nxt day we tried again. I also tried her with a little of my yogurt on my finger, which was met with more excitement and kicking of the legs but it was cold and not all of it stayed in her mouth! Also tried squidging abit of banana with my fingers and giving her that on my finger and again alittle was eaten but alot spat out and still the screwed up face!

Yesterday I tried baby rice again and some purees apple...same as before really, not impressed. Last night I tried her with a finger of toast. She won't hold food and put it to her mouth, if I put it to her mouth she sticks her tongue out, although she sucked on the toast and eat bits I pulled off and gave her or bits that came off in her mouth. She did the same with bits of bread I gave het from my sandwich yesterday too. Today I tried mashing a piece of banana about an inch in length and mixed it with soke BM, she ate it, again she apat it out but I put it back in again! It took 20mins and perserverance and a lot on the bib but we got there!

Last night I pureed some carrot and put a little butter in it, a recipe I used with DD1. The difference is DD1 took to weaning from the first spoon full. Crying for more, eating EVERYTHING given! I know no 2children are the same and thats why this is different for me. I know its mire about tastes and learning to take food from a spoon and swallow at this stage but I was wondering if I'm doing right at just persevering, trying all the first veggies and fruits recommended, maybe with a little BM, staying relxed and just give her time and opportunity to practice and learn the skill needed or whether shes just not ready and I should stop???

I may need to add...she was 8lb 10oz at birth and 3-4 wks ago weighed 15lb 7oz, so was in target to doubling birth weight by 6months. I aim to get her weighed tomorrow am or Wed pm for an up to date weight. Shes been having 4 feeds through the day sometime 5 including the top up and then 1NF. Shes STTN for the last 2 nights, 8-7 or 8-7:30. But shes also been off it since Tuesday. I thought teething but then DD1 started coughing, sniffling and fever. DD2 has started with cough and sniffling now. Turns out DD1 has Chicken Pox as spots appeared and a couple blistered today so DD2 may have them over the next few daya too! Don't know if u'll need any of that info but thought I'd try giving you as big of a picture a possible!

What do you think? I'd really appreciate ur input/ any advice!
Thanks alot for taking the time to read this.

Mummyumpkin
x x x x x x x x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Teething Problems with Weaning!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 20:50:43 pm »
I think you can relax a bit. If she is not interested in the spoon feeding I think it is important that you don't push it. So no sneaking a spoon in when she laughs etc. It can actually do more harm than good to press babies to eat if they don't want to and can  lead to negative food associations in the future.
Does she still have the tongue thrust reflex whereby she automatically pushes food back out of her mouth with her tongue? UK weaning guidelines suggest waiting until this has disappeared before starting solids so she may not be ready if so. If she is just tasting stuff and deciding she doesn't like it then spitting it out then that is different.
I would continue to offer food but if after the first spoonful or two she isn't willingly taking it then I would stop and try again tomorrow. I would also carry on offering finger food so she can practise and develop her hand eye coordination even if she isn't actually eating any.
Also the leaflet I have from the hv and the blw book I have both say that you shouldn't put chunks of food in their mouth. It is better to give bigger pieces and let them hold it themselves and bite bits off when they're ready. That way you can be sure they aren't getting bits that they aren't developmentally ready for.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline mummyumpkin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 08:41:10 am »
Also thought I might just add she doesn't like much in her mouth apart from nipple and the  syringe for calpol! Sometimes shes put rattle to her mouth and sucked it but even when I think shes teethin and I put my finger or knuckle or a teether in her mouth to rub her gums and try to get her to chomp she pushes her tongue out and does the yuk face! She suckes her fingers too sometimes.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 23:58:29 pm »
We started Hamish about the same time on solids, and we went with BLW. He for about 2 weeks or so just held the food- explored it, put some in his mouth and then really got the idea and so far hasn't looked back (well- there are some meals were more is on the floor). SO... Don't panic- you are going really well, it's all about learning new things! We have really liked BLW, but it isn't for everyone, so i'm not saying you have to do it- but perhaps have a look as she is at the right age for it! Also- she may like more to take things at her own pace, and BLW allows that...

Also- she does sound a little sensitive in the mouth department, so you are better to take it easy rather than pushing her- letting her take it slo will allow her to be more comfortable and less sensitive!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline mummyumpkin

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 15:52:38 pm »
Well, I don't want to speak too soon but today is an improvement!
This am I offered her a finder of buttered toast and after letting her suck it a little I put it in her hand. She dropped it a few times but I kept giving it back to her and then she started watching me eat mine and putting hers to her mouth. It went soggy then suddenly I looked and couldn't see it. I waited a little as she sucked, chewed a little, then she looked like she was going to gag. I put my finger in her mouth and could feel it all mushed up. I forced myself to leave it and wait and smile (although worried) and she managed to swallow it, eventually. Then she hate half of another finger! So almost a quarter of a slice of toast this am! I was totally impressed!
Lunchtime I gave her a little pureed carrot mixed with BM maybe about 1-2 tbsp and she still didn't look happy to be having it in her mouth but she kept it in, mulled it round and eventually swallowed it! She was keen on having the spoon in her mouth and a couple of time she clamped shut! But no spitting out, only towards the end so I got rid of that bit as she'd eaten all but the last spoon.
I'm feeling a little more optomistic. I'm not wanting / going to force her, but I get the impression its just because its different and I think now shes getting used to it a little. We're not there yet buy a long way but there may be a tiny gleam of light ahead!
Shall keep up the BLW part and let her try for herself. Steamed veg maybe later if we have a cooked dinner!

Thank you for your advice!
Mummyumpkin
x x x x x x x x

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 21:15:31 pm »
Yay! Greeat news!! Good work mummy for leaving the toast!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!