Author Topic: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating  (Read 31444 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating
« on: February 12, 2012, 17:55:09 pm »
I'm at a breaking point with the eating issues of my DS (will be 3 in June). He DOES have a dairy intolerance but other than that, no food allergies.

He was a decent enough eater until about 1.5. Not great, mind you but LOVED fresh fruit of all kinds, would let me feed him "adult food" like lasagna and chicken marsala from my fork, etc. Around 13 months he started getting pickier. At about 1.5 he got his one and only ear infection and it got WAY worse. He dropped almost all fresh fruits at that point except bananas and apple slices. Then somewhere between 2 and 2.25 he dropped those too.

He drinks NO milk (soy, coconut, anything) since we dropped his bottle. He is on a calcium supplement per his Ped and holistic practitioner. He WILL drink "juice" or water. His "juice" I make from blending a tiny bit of apple juice with lots of water, fresh fruits and avocado. And sometimes I throw carrot and/or spinach in there too.

He will eat: pancakes (homemade and VERY healthy - see below); challah french toast (again homemade and extra egg-y); multigrain waffles; oatmeal (occasionally); french toast sticks (homemade and multigrain); toasted whole wheat bagels with Earth Balance or Tofutti spreads; dry cereal; pasta (has to have red sauce or bolognese, needs the color for him. he does allow finely chopped broccoli in there too); pizza (homemade since have to use soy cheese and can add in chopped or pureed veggies); toast with Earth Balance spread; hot dogs (I buy all natural nitrate free ones); chicken nuggets (homemade is usually accepted); sweet potato fries; alphabet fries; soy yogurt; applesauce; broccoli potato pancakes (sometimes); roasted chickpeas; pistachio nuts; cashew nuts; crackers; and animal cookies.

I realize this list isn't HORRIBLE but it's not expanding at all and in fact becoming worse at times.

Other than the pasta (which he'd probably live on along with pancakes if he could) he TOTALLY refuses to use cutlery. For pasta he will take turns - whereby I spoon feed him a bite and then he has to spoon feed himself 1-2 bites, etc. But he refuses to do that at nursery, insisting on using his hands instead or not eating.

Ideas, thoughts? Where to start? This morning he ate 8(!) homemade silver dollar pancakes that I made using coconut milk, applesauce, whole wheat flour and ground oats. Then he had swimming. At noon I offered him his homemade meatballs (that he used to love) and applesauce but he refused both and is about to take a nap. Should I offer only his lunch after his nap instead of a snack (which would usually be either whole wheat crackers, roasted chickpeas or pistachio/cashew nuts)?

Sorry this is so long and jumbled. Many thanks in advance!

Ack!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 18:37:41 pm »
Ugh Karen, I'm sorry.  I've got a picky eater too and I have lots of sympathy though not a ton of advice.  I would re-offer lunch before a snack.  Kate is 6 now and still doesn't eat a ton though she knows she has to eat fruit or veggies at each meal (depending on which meal it is) - we talk a lot about food groups, foods that have certain vitamins - might be something to work towards as he's still young.  Will he try things?  Katie has to try what we eat and she's expanded her foods from that.  Not great advice I know, how about some (((hugs)))?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 19:05:30 pm »
Thanks Erin. I know I've posted on this topic before but it's been a while and it's not really getting better (and in some ways worse). And my Ped isn't much help at all of course (I love him but it's not his thing). He will NOT try things, and to be honest I've even tried "bribing" him as in "if you have some banana we can fly around the family room like Superman, etc". But it doesn't work. We talk about how Superman is big and strong because he eats fruits and vegetables and eggs and he likes to discuss it but won't try them. Sleep talk hasn't helped either. He will actually choose to skip meals and be crazy hungry (and then gets the terrible blood sugar tantrums) rather than eat something he doesn't want (like a banana or whatever).

He's napping now but should be up within a half hour. I guess will try his lunch again and if a no go will go for an early dinner. It's hard because his snacks are really healthy (the nuts and chickpeas and all) but I guess even that can fill him up so he won't eat a meal? I don't know at all anymore...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 19:20:27 pm »
Hi Karen - Been there, and still working through it in a lot of ways. I got some great advice from Deb in Oz who pointed me to a few websites and helped my DH and I come up with a plan.  DS was a couple of months older than your DS when we started and I wish he had been a bit younger so I think your DS is a good age for it.

Read through this website to start -
http://www.ellynsatter.com/11-to-36-months-feeding-your-toddler-i-31.html

We adapted some things and used it as a good guideline for setting up a plan for going forwards. I have found it extremely helpful in changing our approach.  I also found that it took a good read, a good talk with DH on setting up our agreed upon tactics and attitude we would take, which took a few conversations before we started changing the things we needed to change.

My DH jas JUST put on a movie and I have to go or I will miss the start, but promise I will be back to talk more, tomorrow...if I forget then ping me a PM!!!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 19:24:28 pm »
Thanks Mashi, I do recall you posting on the topic before. I will check out that website, I remember reading one of her books when DD was little - she's big on always having one thing on the table you KNOW they will eat, right? And I have tried that but then he only eats that item and nothing else?

Will have a read on that site later today though and would love to chat with you more, thanks again.

Offline Mashi

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 20:58:12 pm »
she's big on always having one thing on the table you KNOW they will eat, right? And I have tried that but then he only eats that item and nothing else?

Yes, that is one of her main principles, but the big thing that DH and I found was that we had to change our attitude towards the latter part of what you said, that DS would only choose to eat one item and nothing else. And that is where the hard part comes in - you need to allow that. You can not make him eat anything and you can't have that much control.  Make sure that there are food choices on the table, which includes something he likes, and allow him to choose to eat that and only that.  It will take time but he will learn.

A huge key thing for us in getting DS to that point was in NOT SAYING A WORD.  It was one of the hardest parts for DH and I and we would be kicking each other under the table (with the occassional shriek from DS "HEY! You kicked me!" when we missed  :P).  We kept conversation completely non-food related except for things like 'pass the butter' and DH had to refrain from his typical overexaggerated "OHH wow, this is SO yummy, thanks!" ::) No commenting.  No praise for DS for trying something, no comments on what he did or did not eat, nothing AT ALL. 

I would put everything out on the kitchen table - and our table is tiny so it took some shuffling most nights!! - and I tried to include some random things as well that DS had not seen before (ie we are a family of olive haters and I bought some olives to put out  on a plate) just so that there were new things for DS to look at and decide if he wanted to choose them or not.  He was allowed to reach and take whatever he wanted or not take whatever he wanted and his responsibility was getting it into his mouth.  And key to the approach is also in allowing that - if he wanted to lean his face down and eat like a dog I would have said ok.  The point is in getting him to put food into his body at this point...in 6 months time work on cutlery skills. Mind you my DS did not try to eat like a dog and I would have been clenching my jaw if he had, but DH and I discussed and agreed ahead of time that however he got the food into his mouth was his own choice and we would not interfere ONE BIT.  We made everything his own choice and within his own control.  And that was key - and DS learned VERY quickly that something different was going on at dinner and that there was no commenting on his food and he DID honestly start eating - not much mind you, and it is not like our problem is GONE but we made some HUGE steps in a short time (about 2 weeks). 

After about 2 weeks of the no commenting, no assisting, no interfering approach, one Sunday my DH shouted out to me if I wanted soft boiled eggs for brunch. And did I want one, or two. DS shouted out that HE wanted one and we both stopped, gobsmacked, and stared at each other. Since about 12 months my DS had refused egg in any form  (except hidden like in french toast for instance).  We struggled to not remark with shock and DH just said ok.  Cooked him an egg, called him to the table and he sat down, dipped a piece of toast in it and said it was good and he liked it, but then only ate that one bite, and finished off his toast.  MASSIVE step IMO.  He used to refuse to even sit at the table with us when we ate eggs.  We had a few instances of things like this and we really felt a lot of load off of us as we were seeing the small improvements.

With modelling good eating habits and good food choices, as well as table manners and cutlery use, in time your DS *will* come to know how to do those things. He will not WANT to be stuffing food in with his fingers when no one else is, kwim? But at the moment, it can't be about manners and cutlery, it needs to be about eating and opening his idea to eating. Does that make sense?

One other thing I struggled with was not that he would choose only the ONE thing at the table, but that he wanted to fill up totally on that one thing. So he would always choose bread and just want 4 slices of it.  So we did limit the item that he liked - so I would only put two slices of bread on the table and he and DH had to share them, and when it was gone, there was no more of that, but he could choose other things, or choose to be done. Many nights he chose to be done.  We had a small bedtime snack each night but I made sure that it was not substantial and not too close to after dinner, but for us it is sort of a part of our family, kwim? I wanted there to be a snack in there so that on nights when he did not eat it was not like an alternative but no matter what, it was there.  A piece of toast, a banana, cup of milk, etc.

It was about October when we started with this, and now 5 months later we are able to alter things a bit. Today I refused to let him leave the lunch table until he tasted his lunch. There were no options - we had chicken risotto and some cut up cold leftover chicken. He was allowed to choose one of those things to eat, but he DID need to eat. And he sat there insisting they were both yucky and he hated them,etc etc despite the fact that I know he likes chicken, and kindergarten claims he has been eating rice all month. And prior to that he had spat out even once grain of rice every single time it had ever been offered.  Never once had a grain of rice been swallowed from 6 months old.  About a week ago he had to answer some questions for a kg activity and he said his favourite food was rice  ::) but I had still not seen him eat it. So today when I said we were having rice for lunch, he said that was great, he LOVES rice.  ::) But then refused to even TASTE it. So I did force it - there are times when I end up saying something and kick myself because it is against our rules but then I feel the need to stick with it. It ended up with him sobbing at the table, and I told him to go find a quiet place to cry and be upset about it, and that he could stay there as long as he wanted, but that when he came out from there, he was going to taste the rice. (And he KNOWS that tasting means spitting out is okay so I was not asking much). He stayed away for about 5-7 minutes and came back and agreed to try the risotto. He ate a bite, instantly said "MMm, that's yummy mama, thanks!" And then refused to eat any more - because he didn't like it.  ARGH.  So I did make him sit there until he finished.  Because it is definitely a mental thing at that point.

BUT I could not and did not do that at all 5 months ago when we started this approach. It took us nearly half a year to get to that!  We do still try to stick to the rules of no commenting, no control, no rules and allow choice as much as possible but I find we do deviate a wee bit now that things have opened up. Sometimes it backfires and we need to go back to the start again. But truly, by taking all of the responsibilities off of me and allowing him full control things happened fast.  Obviously by taking responsibility from me I do not mean he orders like it is a restaurant, I am sure you know how I mean  :)  Our meals are family friendly - he may not like chicken but chicken is a family and toddler friendly food that is easy for him to eat and it's not unreasonable to expect him to start trying it so I count that as family friendly iyswim? And our meals always include things he will like - a small serving of bread, a vegetable he likes (corn or peas or cooked carrots he can pick up with his fingers), a plate with some cut-up cheese, maybe some pickles, etc and then our main meal. 

Sorry I have rambled on and on (I'm not into the movie DH chose!!!) and nto sure if I have offered anything helpful or not.  Am happy to chat through it with you and support you in your journey  :-* Deb in Oz has been a great shoulder and support for me in getting through this struggle and it meant a lot to me and made the world of difference to have someone to talk with about it along the way and am always happy to pass that support on as well.  Even if you choose a different approach :-*

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 21:05:02 pm »
{{{hugs hun}}}

I've just got your PM.  we've moved house and only just got internet back up.  

I know you are frustrated but I have to say that list of foods is pretty good.  Actually not pretty good but very good.  It looks like you have a good few options for all meal times and snacks so its not like he is eating the same things every day?

Is the main issue that he just won't tolerate trying anything new?   Like he won't even entertain it?   Will he lick/touch/bite new foods if there is no pressure to eat them?

What foods would you like him to be eating if we can come up with a plan?

At the minute if he refuses a meal you aren't providing an alternative is that right?  So he's definately not holding out for something preferred?

{{{{hugs}}}}  

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 21:14:51 pm »
Posted with Mashi. 

I really like that approach Mashi.    That is naturally what I do and what I have done since M is little and what i do with R now.  I just provide meals and the kids can eat or not eat.  DH is a menace for cajoling and/or threatening ridiculous things for M not eating meals and it drives me mad.   

I agree with Mashi though that we did get to the point where we had to change things up a bit as M was refusing all veg and limiting a bit and just refusing to try things so I did introduce that she had to try every thing on her plate.  First 2 meals we did it she howled like a banshee and you'd have thought i was trying to poison her but i insisted and she did try each thing.  Since then it has been much better and she is eating better and will try everything. 

What age is your DS now? I started insisting on trying at just before 3 YO i think and she totally got it. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 23:26:50 pm »
Thanks Mashi and Shiv, you guys rock! He is two years and 8 months. He'll be 3 at the beginning of June.

Mashi, I don't care if he doesn't use cutlery per se. But I think it's really hampering his eating because he hates to have his hands messy/dirty. So he won't eat stuff that is too messy with his hands usually. And they are really trying to encourage using cutlery at school, at least on Fridays (when he has pasta). He will and does happily fill up on the small portion of the meal he likes, even if it means leaving himself a little hungry he won't try the rest.

Shiv, he will not try new foods at all. Sometimes he'll touch them but often he'll just yell and want them taken away.

BTW he did end up eating the meatballs after his nap. Not at first but eventually. He refused the applesauce with it, even though he loves applesauce. But he refused it because I wouldn't spoon feed it to him unless he took turns spooning himself. Which he refuses to do with a passion. He's currently refusing dinner.

So in addition to a food plan we should stick with refusing to spoon feed him pasta or yogurt or the like unless he'll at least take turns doing it himself, right? That may mean he doesn't eat the yogurt, etc but we'll see. And what if he doesn't eat lunch or dinner (he always eats breakfast)? Is there no afternoon snack then but only the meal re-offered? And what about the nights (many of them) that our family meal doesn't include ANYTHING that he likes? Like tomorrow night we are having leftover Shepherd's pie. He won't eat that. On the side DH and DD will have sourdough bread with butter (I'm gluten free) but DS doesn't like that. Let him have one piece of toast instead?

Sorry so many questions. Congrats on the move Shiv!

Thanks again, xoxo

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 00:53:39 am »
Ok, we're not as formalized as Mashi either, but we are actually kind of similar too (except dh always has a stupid comment, like just try it, it tastes like sausage - which dd2 loves - even if it tastes nothing like sausage, drives me crazy) - anyway, I always make sure there's something there she'll eat and sometimes when we eat things I know they don't like I'll do an alternate dinner.  But that's just me -- dh and I were super picky kids and there's things both of us still won't eat from having it forced as kids, so I won't do that -- but there are plenty of people who will.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 01:10:39 am »
Yea I don't want to force at all. Just don't know how to encourage better since nothing seems to be working!

He went to bed on an empty stomach tonight. He refused dinner (soup) and the offered breakfast cookie (which he used to but always refuses now) - they are homemade from oats, whole wheat flour, tofu, etc. He drank plenty of his "juice" (see above) so at least nutrients there but nothing to eat since the meatballs at 3:30. I did ask him if he wanted oatmeal before bed but he only wanted it if I'd feed him - which I didn't think I should?

I'm sure tomorrow morning he'll gorge himself on either homemade/healthy french toast sticks or waffle and then tomorrow at school is bagel day for lunch so that means toasted whole wheat bagel with Earth Balance spread. He always refuses the fresh fruit snack (despite them always offering and the other kids all partaking). Sigh.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 01:36:10 am »
I'm sure you've done all of these things, but in case you haven't......

*turn foods into fun....decorate things to have silly faces, etc. Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes, raisins or chocolate chips added to them for eyes or smiles or whatever.

*let him make the food or pick something new when shopping at the store?

*let him put whatever spread, sauce, dip, whatever he likes on anything he wants. If my DD will eat xyz with ketchup on it....I'll go ahead and let her put some ketchup on it. If she liked salad dressing, I'd let her do that. If she liked syrup, I'd let her add a bit of that....just b/c she likes to be the one to put it on AND she may be more willing b/c she likes that flavor. You could alternatively use a dry seasoning, like parsley or something fairly benign and let him do the sprinkling for fun? Or shred his soy cheese and let him use it to add to any other foods. DD LOVES to add things to a pizza, to a quiche, to help bake, etc.

*always offer new foods with old favorites, but you can try to mix them...so mixing them together or putting what he likes on top of the new food.....might be more tempting.

*reverse psychology....it ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS worked when I was little. My grandfather in particular used to make himself a snack or plate of food. Didn't always make up a plate for me or my sister to start....then he'd bring it to his chair in the living room and we'd sneak over to investigate and want to try some. He'd pull the plate away and say in a silly way, "OH NO NO NO...you don't want...THIS." "Yes, we do!" "OH, no, you won't like this. Grown ups like this, but YOU won't like this." Then he'd leave the room for some reason....like to grab a napkin or whatever and my sister and I would eat all his food all the while he was in the other room saying "Watch my snack, don't let anyone else eat my snack!" or some such. I have done this with DD and she will "sneak" bites of my food off of my plate just to get me to react silly like that "*gasp* Who stole my broccoli? Is there a broccoli thief in the house?"

*make food more relaxing and fun. Have a picnic and just lay out various foods on a blanket and eat them somewhere else in the house or in the yard. Let him use a snack cup to carry something around the house and munch. Leave a dish/bowl of something ready to eat in the bottom of the fridge or on a low shelf and tell him it's his special shelf and he can get foods from there whenever he'd like. Then make sure to only put things you'd like to see him choose from. Maybe giving him more power will encourage him to branch out?

Anyway, I am sure you do lots of this stuff already, but thought I'd throw out ideas in case something struck you!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 02:38:07 am »
Thanks Nicole!

I SO wish he liked dips! That's how my DD (6.5) started eating more foods - she loved to dip chicken, eggs, etc in ketchup and veggies into homemade ranch or blue cheese. Now she's a pretty great eater. But he doesn't want to dip at all. And I've tried the shapes and it worked for getting him to eat pancakes or nuggets (and now he eats regular ones that I make) but it didn't work for like fruits or veggies or anything. But it's been a while and I should try again.

As for reverse psychology, again a great idea and I WISH it worked. It always did for my niece and nephew. But he couldn't care less. If we tell him that he can't have broccoli or eggs or whatever he just says OK, Daddy eat or Mommy eat or whatever and is pleased that he doesn't have to! He's WAY stubborn. But again, will keep trying.

We do often have lunch as a picnic in the family room instead of in the kitchen and that used to help but lately it doesn't.

And I just don't get why he won't spoon feed himself foods he DOES like (like yogurt, applesauce, etc) but won't feed them with hands either and only wants me to spoon feed them.

Thanks again Nicole (and everyone). I really appreciate all the ideas and please keep them coming! xoxo

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 04:17:37 am »
I will say that at 2.5 Katie was always a huge breakfast eater, ok lunch, and literally 3 bites of dinner.  Never bothered her either.  Maybe that at least makes you feel better...

Offline Mashi

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35:50 am »
Karen I would say one of the reasons why he won't spoon feed himself his yogurt is because he does not have to. He knows that you will do it for him.  I'd stop it full-on and let him figure it out. He will make a mess and he will get frustrated but he WILL learn.  I can imagine the worry is that he will stop eating that as well, but if you give it to him the first 10 times and he refuses to do it, you still just give it to him the eleventh and don't say anything. Don't encourage, don't prod, don't tell him he can do it....nothing. Just give it to him, sit down next to him and eat your own yogurt. And eating the same foods as him at the same time (without saying something like 'hey look, I've got one too!!') helps to model the expected behaviour.

I also think that encouraging trying should be avoided at this point.  Obviously not forever - and as I said I did not encourage but actually FORCED a taste this weekend and 6 months ago even gently encouraging or asking or expecting was leading to the opposite and having very negative consequences. I only did it this weekend because I know we have worked up to it over the past 6 months, and I still have not changed our approach to where now I expect him to taste, but because it is something that I *know* he likes it was just making him get past his mental block.

I do also think that "tactics" that people normally use for toddler eating are out the window when you have a child who is this far down the road in their pickiness. I think all of those things are super and I know as a kid my one aunt loves to tell the story about the first time she met me and how she got me to eat my peas that I hated....but I was not a child who had any "issues" surrounding food and eating iyswim.  I would not keep encouraging or enticing or doing silly dances to 'get him to eat' so to speak.  Because if you are going to great lengths at this age to "get him" to eat then that is where the foundation of the problem lies.  All of the control needs to be handed over to him, where he makes the decisions and the choices and does not have to be goaded into it if that make sense. You don't want to be "getting him" to eat you want to be giving him the control and also the responsibility for eating.  You choose when he eats, and what he eats, he is allowed the selection, the amount, the how and the if. 

Quote (selected)
Mashi, I don't care if he doesn't use cutlery per se. But I think it's really hampering his eating because he hates to have his hands messy/dirty. So he won't eat stuff that is too messy with his hands usually. And they are really trying to encourage using cutlery at school, at least on Fridays (when he has pasta). 

Can you let him play with some really messy things with his hands a few times a week to get used to it?  It sounds like he might be texture and sensory sensitive (not sure I am using the right words).  I would still allow him to work through it and not spoon feed him.  And let nursery fight their own battle with cutlery - they may make advances faster than you when it is the only time he feels pressure, and also it allows him to still have a lot of time to work it out on his own at home.

I will also say that we tried EVERYTHING. Every single thing you can imagine with DS.  His list of foods was in no way limited at all, he ate a very good variety and I had no concerns about his 'diet' per se, but it was starting to limit and there was total refusal to try anything outside of his list and often we were resorting to distraction, to enticing, encouraging, rewarding and spoon feeding to get him to eat. And none of those things are acceptable ways to eat IMO and lead to problems that just last and last and last.  Once we shrugged it all of and made it clear to him through our actions that no one cared, he slowly changed.

Quote (selected)
And what if he doesn't eat lunch or dinner (he always eats breakfast)? Is there no afternoon snack then but only the meal re-offered?

I would not re-offer the meal.  Snacks are a very important part of toddler eating (even in adult eating really!) and should be included as part of his food offerings regardless of what he eats at other meals. He should be offered regular bkfst, lunch, dinner and a small snack in between each of those meals as a set, engrained rule.  I think people often see snacks as a reward or that meals are the foods you do not like and snacks are what you do like but again it is just a change of thinking. Snack does not mean 'treat' but snack means 'smaller meal.' It is not a food handout to be run around with or that he gets to choose whatever he wants and that can be junk or treat or sweet iyswim.  Snacks should include 2-3 foods and include protein, a carb and a fat.   A slice of chicken, half a banana and some cut up chunks of avocado can still be his snack.  And like with every other meal he can choose what he wants to eat - and if he eats the half of a banana and asks for more then you give him a small piece more, but then leave it at 'that's all there is, if you are still hungry there are other foods here.'  And if he says he is not hungry then just accept that, and say ok. It is his choice.  Also remember that a snack is a necessary part of his day, not a reward that he has to earn. 

Quote (selected)
And what about the nights (many of them) that our family meal doesn't include ANYTHING that he likes? Like tomorrow night we are having leftover Shepherd's pie. He won't eat that. On the side DH and DD will have sourdough bread with butter (I'm gluten free) but DS doesn't like that. Let him have one piece of toast instead?

Then you need to make sure your meal DOES include something he likes.  Dinner table needs to include a selection of foods.  It does not mean they all have to be "meals" but also you do not make something for him as an alternative.  On your table you have the leftover shepherd's pie, the plate with bread and butter (and perhaps you could arrange that plate so that there is bread or toast to choose from, but you are not giving it to him or putting it on his (or anyone else's) plate - he can look and see what is on the table and choose....he may totally surprise you one day by choosing the sourdough and not the toast and that is what you are aiming for!) and I would also add in a few other choices. A bowl or plate with some olives or cut up pickles. A pot of cottage cheese. Some sliced up carrots sticks. A plate with slices of avocado. A bottle of mustard. A hard boiled egg cut into slices.  Obviously not all, and your dinner is not a restaurant buffet so you don't go overboard, but it is also not reasonable to have him only have something he does not like OR a piece of bread. It is not helping him to expand his choice.  If you have the shepherd's pie on the table in a serving dish, the bread/toast basket and then two small plates with ideas similar to the ones above, and then everyone sits down - what would you like from our dinner table tonight? Control and responsibilitiy is his. You have chosen the what and when, he selected and chose how much.

Anyway I am rambling again!! I am so passionate about this approach because after trying EVERYTHING in the world, and having many many many breakdowns in tears over what was happening I totally hit an emotional bottom with it.  This approach and whole new way of thinking completely saved us and has been helping my DS to open his mind (and mouth!) a bit more. It is the first and only thing that helped and where I saw attitude shifts in all of us, with results  ;D