Author Topic: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating  (Read 31438 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:57 am »
I'm sure tomorrow morning he'll gorge himself on either homemade/healthy french toast sticks or waffle and then tomorrow at school is bagel day for lunch so that means toasted whole wheat bagel with Earth Balance spread. He always refuses the fresh fruit snack (despite them always offering and the other kids all partaking). Sigh.

I wonder if this could be an issue if that is typical of breakfast?   If he's filling up at breakfast it really could affect his eating for the rest of his meals.  So as Mashi say breakfast would be a french toast/fruit/yogurt but reasonable portions.  So 1/2 slices.  So he can choose french toast but once the reasonable portion is done then he needs to choose something else or be done and at least that way even if he doesn't choose something else he'll be hungrier at his next meal.  Because although our meals always include something the kids will eat it not limitless.  Once the portion is eaten then there isn't more.

I agree with the spoon feeding.  I would just leave him to it. 

I only did it this weekend because I know we have worked up to it over the past 6 months, and I still have not changed our approach to where now I expect him to taste, but because it is something that I *know* he likes it was just making him get past his mental block.

This is how it was with M.  it was like 'I don't eat x' but I agree that you have to have a certain history to be able to do it.  I think though it had got to a point with us where I wasn't insisting she ate the whole meal or eat things she truly didn't like but it was reasonable to taste things on her plate without it being a huge drama.  She didn't even have to swallow just try it.  And since then she has discovered lots of things she actually likes. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:04 pm »
Thanks again Erin, Mashi and Shiv - you ladies (and everyone here) rock! Will try all those things and keep you posted. Part of the problem is also his dairy intolerance. Certain things he wants he cannot have and the alternatives aren't always as appealing to him. Or just different even. So I can model with my yogurt but it is a different container - I eat plain Greek yogurt - or somethings with fruit or nuts mixed in and he has to have soy yogurt. Or like with the Shepherd's Pie tonight - since I knew he wouldn't eat it I made it with real butter this time as it tastes better and IMO is healthier than Earth Balance spread. So I can't even offer it. I guess I'll leave a broccoli pancake and piece of toast out for him and leave it to that tonight?

So if not helping him means he cuts out yogurt and oatmeal and applesauce (which I'd hate because he has the yogurt 2-3 times a week and it's a good healthy source of protein and calcium that he likes) just accept that for now? Or be willing to take turns and help him for now as long as he alternates turns?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »
Yes...the dairy allergy makes things harder, of course. I forgot.  I do think with dinner though you can still put a lot of things out and available for him to choose from, rather than saying a brocolli pancake and toast "for him" - cut up veggies, even spreads - like I said a bottle of mustard is one of the things that I remember putting out randomly one week many days in a row and after days of looking at it DS asked what it was and wanted a squeeze on his plate. He stuck his finger in it, hated it and ate nothing else for the rest of the meal because of the horrible taste in his mouth, but I still considered that an accomplishment and a big positive for us! :) So it does not have to be a selection for him and a selection for everyone else, but perhaps you can put the things that he is not allowed to choose from on everyone's plates and something in place of it on his plate, but leave all of the other things that he is also allowed to choose from on the table.

In cooking, instead of butter vs spread can you use olive oil?

I don't think that yogurt out of a different pot is going to stop him from eating it - what I mean by modelling it is that you are also eating yogurt and he sees the idea of how it is done - dip spoon, put to mouth, etc.  Or if it really is an issue for him you can just scoop the yogurt into bowls so he does not see the source.  I think that offering to take turns with spoon feeding him, at this age, is defeating the purpose and I don't think it will actually get you anywhere. I think he might surprise you in his willingness to eat when left up to it on his own.  Have you tried different cutlery styles and sizes - it is one thing that surprised me one time when we were in England and we moaned how DS could not eat with his spoon....FIL suggested a bigger spoon (like a tablespoon size) and I sort of rolled my eyes, after all it is too big for DS's mouth!!  However, sure enough when DH gave him the bigger spoon he ate an entire bowl of cereal on his own for the first time ever.  No clue why - but even now there is only one spoon he can eat cereal with, other spoons he is not able to manage.

With the dairy intolerance...it's funny because I have often wondered what role an intolerance plays in fussy eaters.  I was SO keen into feeding DS so many things and from age 6-12 months that boy had a weekly meal plan that could have been served at The Fat Duck ::)  He ate anything and everything, he loooooooved his food. But once he hit old enough to be eating more table foods and I had to say 'No, not that one, you can have this one instead' or 'sorry that's mommy's and you are not allowed to taste it' his attitude and approach to food really changed.  He outgrew his soy allergy about 13months and milk about 14-16 months but we did have to go slowly the first few weeks even...SUCH a crucial time for him in forming food and eating associations.  There are many other BWers who when they write about their todder picky eaters, they are also MPI - though I do know there are some who were MPI without food problems but it seems to be a common enough occurrence to see a connection!

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 12:30:50 pm »
I agree with what Mashi and Shiv are saying about relinquishing control and just giving him the power over his food and his intake. The most popular theory across the board amongst most doctors and dietary experts is one that you have heard before "Children will not starve themselves." YES he may go hungry sometimes. YES he may be THAT stubborn. But in the end, he will eat enough to sustain him as he works through his own mental blocks, cutlery issues, and whatever else is holding him up in the food eating department. It will be hard to watch and hard to not say anything, but the approach they took is probably the one that will end up working best for your LO. It may take a LONG time to get there.....but there is an end in sight.

If you choose to jump into this method of just allowing him to eat what he wants, how he wants it and how much of it he wants......you may find that you want to have (need to have) some go to phrases to respond to him or other people when certain questions arise...like the inevitable things others will mention: he's not eating a lot, he won't try this, he's not using his spoon/fork. And of course the ones he will say, I want more xyz mommy, I don't like this, etc...

I would make sure you are ready to casually defend your approach to daycare with things like "he's a light eater." "He doesn't seem to require many calories." "He's experiencing and adjusting to new food textures." "I pick my battles, that doesn't bother me right now." "Go ahead, let him use his hands, they can be washed."

This way you won't get caught off guard by others and you'll know what you are doing.

In my prior post, I didn't mean to cajole him into eating. I just meant to make it a bit more lighthearted or fun. For the most part, I let my DD eat what she wants and how much she wants. Only on occasion do I encourage her to taste things or eat more of something, but these occasions are when I know she is running off and not eating as much to try to catch the end of a show or to play a game or she is avoiding eating something I know she likes and I know she is still hungry b/c she hasn't eaten much that day or whatever---those nights she'll beg for food later if she doesn't eat enough at dinner) But I KNOW her and she is a good eater for the most part so I CAN push a bit. But the majority of the time, I am fine with what she chooses to eat. I actually ask her what she wants for breakfast and lunch and snacks and she chooses herself most days. I offer suggestions. I decide what to make for dinner and that is the only choice for dinner. That seems to work well for us here.

In any event. I think Mashi and Shiv are right about the approach.

Just saw your post....

I really wouldn't alternate turns with the spoon feeding. I'd really let him do it himself or just not. If you both have yogurt, can you transfer it to bowls so you are both having it out of similar bowls rather than straight from the container? My DH buys those tubs of greek yogurt and puts them in a bowl and adds sugar free jelly. DD now LOVES this as a snack.

As far as his intolerance, IMO, I would really only make foods for family "meals" that HE can also partake in for the time being. As much as possible anyway. I was on an ED while I nursed my son (before he went on neocate) for the same dairy/soy intolerance. Earth Balance was my friend. I found a way to make all my standby meals dairy/soy free. I used panko bread crubs, Earth Balance, almond milk, coconut milk yogurt/ice creams, organic tomato sauce with no dairy/soy for pastas, etc. etc. It was def. possibly to have all my meals be dairy/soy free and not super difficult, although label reading is a pain when shopping. This way EVERYONE is offered the same choices and can be great role models and he doesn't have the "different" from everyone else meal choice. If you need ideas for meals to make with the dairy intolerance that are delicious, there is help for that! I even found brownies I could make with the Earth Balance. Yes they were prepackaged, but they were dairy and soy free and although not the BEST brownies in the world, they made me feel I could eat like other people and that was SO SO nice. :) Might be part of his trouble. He may now be noticing he can't have the same as others and that could be messing with his head a bit.

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:14 pm »
Coconut oil is great to cook with (we very recently changed and use that or olive oil most of the time) and is dairy/soy free!

Walmart carries it and it's not crazy expensive.

:)

Offline ~*Nicole*~

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 12:37:56 pm »
PPS: I don't know if you enjoy making all that food homemade. I am not a good cook/baker and I found it to be super time consuming so I found lots of alternatives I could use to do things quickly and easily. I know it's a more processed diet, but it works for us. I found a Healthy Heart pancake mix that was dairy/soy free from Bisquick I believe and could use that for pancakes or waffles, etc. These things truly helped make my life easier when I was nursing DS. If any of that interests you I can try to think of more things I used. :)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »
Have to dash but will read this more thoroughly later this morning - but thanks Nicole. BTW, I LOVE LOVE LOVE coconut oil (and milk) and use it with myself and DS often BUT DD seems to have an intolerance so I can't use it for family meals - unless I experiment and find out otherwise (which is possible). Plus I have a gluten allergy, further confusing matters - so meals are already a bit different many nights. Also usually for dinner I eat with DH instead of the kids - they eat much earlier than I am hungry for and he is not home until about 6:30 most nights. But I do still sit with them.

I can't say I "like" making all these things homemade but in the end it's worth it to me and I do make large batches and freeze them!

BTW - for breakfast just now I offered his french toast sticks (which are NOT homemade but from Van's and healthy and dairy free) but only four of them (instead of 5-6) along with a few multigrain cheerios and 3 blueberries. He ignored the cheerios, asked me to take away the blueberries (which I did not do) and ate the sticks of course. I guess for nursery today will ask them to only serve him a few crackers along with the morning fruit snack and leave it at that? Instead of letting him have more crackers and fill on them?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 13:18:13 pm »
I guess for nursery today will ask them to only serve him a few crackers along with the morning fruit snack and leave it at that? Instead of letting him have more crackers and fill on them?
Yes I would make it a normal portion not a portion that would equal crackers plus fruit.

I agree with the spoon.  I would leave him to it.  Yes you may have a week or two where he refuses but once he sees you mean business I think he'll get with it and feed himself. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 20:59:39 pm »
Update - I did ask his teachers today to only give him a small portion of the crackers or whatever along with the fruit at snack today and to leave it at that. They said they gave him less graham crackers than usual along with some clementine. He ate the grahams but of course didn't touch the clementine. At lunch there he ate almost his entire half toasted whole wheat bagel with EB spread (not surprising). After his nap at first he refused both pistachio nuts (which he loves) and breakfast cookies (which he used to love but has been refusing lately). I didn't push the issues at all. But shortly after he ate all 20 or so nuts and two of the cookies (!). I imagine it might hurt his appetite for dinner but I'm just glad he added the breakfast cookies back in for now.

Since I can't offer him the Shepherd's Pie this time (dairy) tonight I'll just make him a broccoli pancake (which he used to like) and yogurt and leave it at that?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 21:13:34 pm »
I say that sounds like a plan xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 21:31:54 pm »
Good plan!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 23:27:34 pm »
Only two bites of broccoli pancake at dinner. Wanted yogurt but only if I'd feed it to him. Hope this isn't like milk (he totally stopped drinking it when we took his bottle away).

Should he be offered some cheerios or anything later or only fruit? Or a bit of both? Or nothing?

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 00:39:31 am »
i will be back
9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 06:06:50 am »
Glad he ate some cookies and the nuts - I think after a couple of weeks he will get the point and start eating more :)

I would offer him a small bedtime snack regardless of what he eats at dinner.  I'd be a bit wary of cheerios when it seems that he eats a lot of carbs already and is holding out and preferring them - I would try to make it something protein and/or a fruit/veggie.  Not the most normal of bedtime snacks I guess but the protein will fill him for the night and be another good opportunity to get something into him at a time when he is maybe not used to it iyswim.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 08:40:16 am »
We did a bedtime snack regardless of dinner too.  Agree with Mashi on the choice though.