Author Topic: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating  (Read 31394 times)

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Beyond Fed Up - 2 years 8months eating
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2012, 23:56:47 pm »
less than one month from the last step... In my book that is totally "on target" & moving forward. :)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2012, 00:45:16 am »
Thanks Kate! I am/was quite pleased (and surprised). I wasn't cooking tonight as DD was up all night and home sick today with strep and when I offered her a turkey sandwich he said he wanted one. I called his bluff and served it with some applesauce and a broccoli pancake and he ate the whole sandwich cut into pieces (minus the crust), all the applesauce and left the pancake.

Though does the banana still count since he only did it that once and won't touch it again/since?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:54 am »
Trying is the main thing & then getting them to eat it regularly.

I know it is a long way from 3yo to almost 9yo, but when I think about my Ds1 & how little he ate at 3yo & the fact that Ds2 had a carrot stick left on his plate the other night & DS1 picked it up, dipped it in gravy & ate it... I offered carrots for 2 years straight without them being eaten, then every 6months or so we'd try to see if "they agreed with his more mature tastebuds" & finally about 1 month ago carrots came on the radar... so yes even if not being touched since I'd count it as a success.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2012, 11:40:15 am »
That is so great Kate!

Would just love to even get him eating ONE fruit and/or veggie regularly (other than sweet potato fries and the fruit blended into his "juice") and him using a fork and spoon for more than 1-2 items himself!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2012, 12:48:41 pm »
Karen & that same child took a brussel sprout off his Dad's plate because DH had 3 & DS1 & I only had 2 each & DS1 ate all 3, leaving a bite of meat on his "meat, potatoe & 3 veg dinner" rather than asking for seconds of meat & leaving all the veg like he did 2 years ago... been a long journey, but to have an almost 9yo eating brussel sprouts tells me it was well & truely worth it to never force the issue. He also stole a piece of baked cauliflower from my plate LOL.

Anyway it will get there... yes about 100 times slower than we as parents would like, but it will happen - at their pace if you give it a chance.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2012, 16:51:37 pm »
WTG to your DS1 Kate!!!

He did eat ice cream yesterday at camp. Not that it's healthy but at least a different texture and he fed himself it with a spoon. Since he has a dairy allergy it was Tofutti (soy ice cream) - at first he hesitated but apparently then dug in and I have a picture to prove it!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #156 on: July 24, 2012, 03:47:59 am »
Karen, that is a wonderful update!!  I'm so, so proud of you and him :D
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #157 on: August 15, 2012, 01:08:46 am »
Hadn't had anything new to report - still no fresh fruit or veg (luckily get tons in his smoothies plus lots of veg in his meatballs, pasta sauce, etc). But tonight he tried two tiny bites of lemon chicken (similar to chicken francaise)! He was totally refusing at first and only ate a few roasted potatoes but refused the chicken and cauliflower. An hour later he was hungry and whiny and I was calmly reminding him that he had to try one bite before he could have more potatoes or anything else. He kept refusing but then spotted his favorite whole wheat crackers in the pantry. He finally agreed to try one bite, decided he liked it, had one more tiny bite and then happily ate his crackers!!! We were psyched - it's the first chicken he's had OTHER than nuggets since he was like 18 months old!!!

I guess I should get around to updating the title of this thread since he's now well over 3 years old!!

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #158 on: August 15, 2012, 06:35:28 am »
H Hun,

That's a great step forward  :D

Just a thought but have you ever tried making up special inviting names for vegetables. Like for example I call 'Butternut Squash' sunshine mash. I also cooked a load of vegetables for Sam and we made pictures out of them. Broccoli for trees etc LOL. I saw it on TV and it helps LO's to 'befriend' veg and see them as fun things. Not saying it will make an immediate difference but if their is a psychological barrier building up it will help to break it down. Of course with fruit too your pictures could be second to non  ;).

Sam had months of terribly fussy eating. Now the vegetables are the first thing he eats off his plate, so hang in there, nothing is forever  ;) I just kept putting them on his plate and throwing them in the bin until we had success. Quite a lot of the things he eats now he asked for whilst I was cooking. Like raw carrots, when he saw me munching on them.

Good Luck  :)

x.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #159 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
I've tried with the cute names, etc - we used to do that when DD was little. And he finds it funny but still won't eat them! He'll happily scarf down loads of chopped broccoli, mushroom, etc in his pasta sauce (that he can see and know is there) but not on his own. So odd.

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:12 pm »
Still  here with you.  We have resorted to a bridery sort of thing.  Yesterday she ate real chicken (that dh and I ate not nuggets) peas and carrots and she tried some smashed potatoes all for bites of bananas.  So it went bite of chicken bite of banana, bite of peas and carrots- bite of banana.  Our other bribe is calling grandma so she can tell dd how proud she is of her.  Either way meals have become a test of endurance and stamina.  I spoke with our ped @ our 3yr visit and he was like there is no right or wrong answer as long as its not a fight.

I think we just have to keep going and hopefully before they hit college they will be eating something more then chicken nuggets :)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2012, 15:47:27 pm »
He'll happily scarf down loads of chopped broccoli, mushroom, etc in his pasta sauce (that he can see and know is there)

Well that's great, I though he had zero vegetable tolerance LOL.

x.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2012, 02:09:20 am »
Didn't work tonight though. We were having uncured turkey bacon, homemade oven baked fries and vegetable pancakes. He has NEVER tried the vegetable pancakes and I've made them at least 10 times now. And he LOVES regular silver dollar pancakes and these taste quite mild and good (DH, DD and I love them). I'm pretty sure if he tried them he'd like them. All day he was saying "I love vegetable pancakes" and "I will try them" but of course he did not. He ate his turkey bacon and his fries (and I only have him a few of them), asked for more of each and I told him only if he tried the vegetable pancakes. He refused, refused again later and that was it for the night.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2012, 01:47:35 am »
Oh well.  :(

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2012, 04:58:18 am »
Small successes.

http://genetics.thetech.org/online-exhibits/are-you-super-taster

Unsurprisingly for me, myself and both boys came up with 'super tasters' & to me that explains a lot about why the fear to taste new things is so strong.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05