Author Topic: Obsessing over baking for school (non-peanut free kitchen)  (Read 4861 times)

Offline nona

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 95
Re: Obsessing over baking for school (non-peanut free kitchen)
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 06:20:20 am »
Epi pens typically come with a faux pen to practice. They are easy to use. in all your free time nicole you could ask your local pharmacy if they have any tester pens you can have!
heather

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 15:00:47 pm »
 My nephew's elementary school was nut free...the whole building.  And even then, his teacher had a pen, the nurse had a pen, and the main office as well.  I honestly cannot imagine that my sister ever let him out of her sight...I didn't really "get it" until I became a Mom.  He didn't go to a movie theater until he was 6 or 7, and even then she brought a giant sheet and covered the chairs they sat in and the floor too.  Now that he is older he is 100% capable and aware (he is 12)...but prior to that, like when he was a preschooler? OMG I would have been a wreck every day!
 It seems to me in my limited experience that people who *have* food allergies are the ones who are aware and ask questions. At dd's open house before school started, a mom asked if there were any allergies in the class, and I know now it is because she has a lethal allergy to shellfish. I don't think it's something the average person thinks about unitl it touches their life in some way.
 Because of my nephew, (and the fact that dd had a milk allergy as an infant) I didn't offer dd peanut butter until she was almost 3, so she could talk to me and tell me if she was feeling odd. Had benadryl at the ready and had phoned the doc first. I was so scared, but she was fine with it. 

Everyone in my nephew's life was instructed on how to use the pen....so crazy that a Mom wouldn't give you a tutorial.   :-\

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 20:12:59 pm »
My ds does not go anywhere unless the person taking him as been epipen trained. We have a trainer pen which means we can train people easily. My ds has had anaphylactic reactions and it is so hard trusting other people to keep him safe when they don't deal with food allergies.

When James is at school he knows to only eat food from home.

Kelly x

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 02:13:23 am »
I am told there are a couple of different epi pens so be aware of that.  I have a trainer, that I practice with, before I am in charge of a relative. 

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:21 am »
Oh, yeah, there are the epi pens which are single dose (the ones you jab in the thigh and hold) and then the twinject, which has 2 doses, the first is a jab one, but if the 2nd is needed it is done like a normal injection if that makes any sense!!
Heidi

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 02:30:57 am »
My ds does not go anywhere unless the person taking him as been epipen trained. We have a trainer pen which means we can train people easily.
Ditto - an epi pen everywhere and I have them practice on the trainer. And Dylan has only been watched by our parents and my SIL (and daycare). Unfortunately we can't just have our teenage neighbour do it because we just don't trust that she has the maturity and skills to deal with a medical emergency.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!