Author Topic: When do you start worrying about no interest in solids?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
When do you start worrying about no interest in solids?
« on: February 15, 2012, 22:32:41 pm »
DS is nearly 10mo and still not interested in solids one bit. He would happily go the whole day with none. He is not drinking milk excessively but enough. He has reflux but this is well controlled I think (on omeprazole/carobel). He is BF and we are both dairy and soy free and this has helped our NW.
I started with BLW but he wasn't eating anything. He was able from 6mo to pick up the food and suck it but didn't eat anything. So now I am doing a mix of spooning and FF as I did with DS1 (who was eating normal food by now and 3 meals per day)
I will give you a run down of our day today and maybe someone can suggest anything I am missing.

WU and BF 7.30am
breakfast at 8.30am -pea size amount of scrambled egg and 2 canelli beans, sucked a bit of pitta
1pm BF
2pm Lunch sucked some bagel with dairy free butter with few small flakes tuna on, 1/4 carrot stix
4.30pm   Dinner - sucked some chicken and some of a potato wedge, sucked a vegetable sausage
6.30pm BT BF
DF

Note I say sucked to a lot of his food as in he puts it to his mouth like he does most things (toys etc) he picks up but then just squishes it and throws it on his tray or the floor.
At playgroup he even managed to get hold of a biscuit and didn't even eat that!
He was born on 50% line on the growth chart and with the full fat BM he jumped up to 97% by 6mo. Since 6mo he is dropping down the lines and was on 75% 3 weeks ago. I weighed him at home today and he hasn't put on anything in the last 3 weeks. He is obviously still not small but it worries me that he is dropping down when he is not eating.
He isn't crawling but can get from one side of the room to the other with lots of laying down, rolling and sitting up again etc or crawling backwards so he is very active/mobile, not just sitting there.

Anyway any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
Re: When do you start worrying about no interest in solids?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 22:39:50 pm »
Reading along! Abi is just the same. Not interested one bit. Food gets squished, it goes in her mouth and then pops back out again. She too has had very good pincer grip for several months so it's not like she can't get it there.

I haven't had her weighed since 6 months but she definitely looks leaner than she was. Meeting all milestones so I'm not worried...just curious!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 22:46:10 pm »
Just some thoughts- could he be more interested in getting around- following his brother? Do you all eat together or is his bother playing or something while he eats?
Do you need to work on cutting the Dream feed? I know it's tricky as while he's not eating heaps he needs it- but could it be meaning that at his age he's essentially having too much milk?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 23:02:03 pm »
Sounds like my DS2!  TBH I didn't worry about it until a year, and just after a year is when he started to take an interest.  :)
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 23:37:20 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Frustrating isn't it Steph?
Katy I am not trying to cut the df. I actually only moved it from 4 feeds in the day to 3 in the day and df a month or 2 ago and it has really helped the nw. If I don't do it for any reason the nw are worse. He is also only getting 4 10min feeds in 24hrs which is the minimum recommended for his age so I don't think he is getting too much. I have tried solids before milk to see if he could get the taste for it too but he isn't interested still. I do make a point of eating as a family so he sees K eat. He wants to grab food off K's plate but even if I let him or K hands him some he doesn't eat it. If K is out and it is just him and me eating he is no better.
Good to know your ds became interested later Em.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 23:40:50 pm by Khalam's Mama »

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 00:04:38 am »
Well i thought you'd have all the bases covered... The saying is 'solids till one are just for fun'- it's just that you hope not to test that theory!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 00:27:02 am »
But there has to be some transition surely? Will he just suddenly start eating at 1yo when he needs it?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 00:28:23 am »
But there has to be some transition surely? Will he just suddenly start eating at 1yo when he needs it?
That's pretty much what happened with DS2!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 00:43:26 am »
Huh!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!