Author Topic: Could just use some support... I think our nursing days are numbered.  (Read 16123 times)

Offline gogomama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Re: Could just use some support to keep nursing
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 14:35:23 pm »
{{{HUGS}}} Amy..I know BF can really be trying at times, but I know you will make the right decision for you and your family. I wanted to say that if Anna is sick and her nose is stuffy, that could be one of the reasons she is pulling off. Have you tried irrigating with saline solution right before each feed? I do that when DD is sick and it works wonders..she hates it at first obv. but gets happy when she can finally breathe again and can actually latch!

P.S- Boo to the judgy ladies at your church! You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone but you!

Offline teilvnav

• Showing Appreciation 90
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 14:42:14 pm »
Yeah, Sairah DH went out this morning before I nursed her 'breakfast' and bought some, and it did help. It was so stuffy this morning that I don't think she could have nursed very well at all without some kind of relief.

I don't think they are judging exactly... not in a mean way, anyway. It's just the way they do things. It surprises them when people do things differently, because BFing is the norm.
Amy

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 14:56:16 pm »
You definitely deserve those gold stars!  Sounds like she's got a whole lot to contend with right now, I'm sure if you just push through now things will fall into place quite soon.  Funny about th church thing, that's actually the only place I don't NIP.

Offline lidiayy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 15:50:48 pm »
Hi Amy,

I can't believe I've lost this post, but I am glad you are feeling better.
You DO deserve the gold stars! You're doing a great job, please don't forget that!!  :)
I remember the tears in my face when DD1 fought to nurse when she was 4 mo, I remember doing odd positions just to get a latch. BTDT. For DD1 I did like you're doing, setting small goals and I ended up BFing her until 1y5m, so you can do it. 
Big hugs! :-*

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 16:41:31 pm »
OMG, I think we have thrush. Just shoot me in the head. ::)

My nips have been itchy the last few days and today it is pretty bad, and when she was crying I saw some white patches on her inner cheek that wouldn't wipe away. Of course this is a long weekend so my dr won't be in until Tuesday. UGH.

Is there anything over the counter I can do if it is thrush? I can try to go to a walk-in clinic this weekend but would rather wait to see our own dr in possible.
Amy

Offline TiffanyT

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • In my flannel at the mall
Re: Could just use some support... update: now thrush, too?
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 17:14:04 pm »
Oh Amy! So sorry for all the issues. I don't have personal experience with thrush, but I know that a nipple shield has helped a friend in the past. I think to relieve your irritation but I don't think it will clear things up.  Sorry...I hope someone else has some other advice for you.

Hugs.
Tiffany

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 18:58:53 pm »
. It is actually kind of funny that some use CC/CIO methods and that isn't really frowned on, yet formula feeding is not quite koscher unless you have a good reason. Anyway, I would certainly get looks for pulling out a bottle to feed DD at church. It wasn't an issue when I switched DS to formula because by 8 months he didn't need to feed every few hours and I could avoid doing
It's insane isn't it...it's like that here too.

So sorry to hear you have thrush hun, I also never got it so I have no good advice :(
Hangs in there :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 19:17:24 pm »
Oh massive hugs for the thrush . I don't think there's anything OTC  that can help :-[ that I know of. At this point it's an antifungal ointment or nothing unless I've missed something. I had it a few times with E and it really sucks. 

Where you're already having some challenges, I personally would go to a clinic today to try to get a script for you both. The longer this goes on, the harder it can be to treat. I ended up needing to take diflucan twice because of how out of control it got.

More hugs. I get where you're coming from about switching to formula. I felt like the whole world looked at me with disapproving eyes when I went to the formula aisle with my big girls.

Oh and sorry for the autocorrect on my last post. I was attempting to put: I hope the teething necklace works for you. I had a good laugh nonetheless ;)
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline okinawamama

• Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 19:30:33 pm »
Amy, so sorry things are a bit rough right now.

I have heard of using Gentian violet for thrush ( two friends in particular swear by it), and it is available over the counter. Here is an article about it. The article touches on this, but use a nipple cream in addition to the gentian violet because it can be drying.
http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73:using-gentian-violet&catid=5:information&Itemid=17

Here are a couple of articles from Kellymom about thrush.
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html
there are some other homeopathic treatments, as well as what other things to do if you suspect you have it.

toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 19:49:24 pm »
Oh that really sucks, Amy :(  The http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65738.0 FAQ has some useful tips.  When I had it, I had miconazole cream for my nipples (daktarin), fluconazole tablets (just had two big doses, as I recall, as I had it in my ducts as well) and D had nystatin drops (but the miconazole gel is better, apparently).

Hope it clears up soon
*** Amanda ***

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 20:32:37 pm »
((((((hugs)))))) Amy! That's no fun :( Sorry this is adding to the troubles you have having right now. Not fair! You definitely have earned gold stars!

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2012, 01:34:43 am »
Oh Amy, I'm just seeing this. Big (((hugs))) for all your troubles. Hoping you can get the thrush sorted quickly! I think when you question yourself again, go back and read your long post on the previous page. You said all the right things in response to your original post. :)

Lots of love, my friend. You are doing a *FABULOUS* job!! :-* :-*

Offline Mrs. A

• formerly SamirsMom
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2012, 02:03:39 am »
Huge ((((hugs)))).  I hope the thrush can get sorted out and go away soon! 
Lisa
Proud mom to:
Samir 11 July 2006
Xenia 07 March 2008
Marina 20 January 2010
and one more on the way!

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2012, 02:10:28 am »
Thanks Stephanie and Amanda for those links... lots of good info there. And thanks to everyone else for the support! Vicki, I totally get the feeling of focus when buying formula... we only buy it once a month or so because of her formula DF, and I can aways feel the world staring at me like "Why aren't you 100% BFing??"

Basically my nipple has a white circle of aereola around it, and the tip of the nipple is white. Other than that, the nipple is bright red. The itching is a fairly recent thing; it is at it's worst during a feed and in the hour afterwards. I do have an itchy, red, flaky raised mark almost like a hickey on each breast near the nipples that I had thought was caused by her gymnastics; she jerks around and bounces quite a bit. Add that to her being quite the little fart machine lately, her discomfort during nursing lately (although that could also be the teething), and the white patches in her mouth lately, and I think we have thrush. She is fussing quite a bit at the beginning of feeds but then does settle in and does rather well, as long as she doesn't get distracted. Because DH is rather ill right now with the same cold we all had (although he seems to have it quite a bit worse, go figure) I am going to wait and go see our dr on Tuesday. Otherwise I will have to take DS with us to any clinic, which would be a bit of a nightmare. I have been air drying my nips between feeds today with a couple of drops of BM on there. I am also sterilizing her pacifiers and bottles before each use; relatively easy, since she just uses a paci for sleeps and only gets one bottle a day.

Ugh ugh ugh.
Amy

Offline flutie

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:08 am »
Probiotics help a lot with thrush.  Breaking open a capsule and having dd suck it off your finger will help.  Also a good dose for you.  Google Dr. Jack Newman + candida protocol and you will find some great info.  I followed his using the grapefruit seed extract instead of genetian violet (there is some info on the dr sears website indicating a study that linked it with oral cancer....large amounts I am sure) and got rid of it straight away.  You can find everything you will need at a health food store.
Lisa
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -