Author Topic: Could just use some support... I think our nursing days are numbered.  (Read 16107 times)

Offline teilvnav

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 90
I am sick, and my supply has tanked. Well, it is probably a combo of that and the almost daily spotting I've been having for months (I think my AF is just constantly on the verge of pushing through or something). Anyway, Anna is hungry and so I am doing EAEAS as well as drinking Ovaltine, eating oatmeal, and taking fenugreek. She has a DF and is up once or twice a night to nurse after that. It just all seems like so much WORK and I am tired of it right now! She is spirited and fusses at the breast if the let-down isn't instant, and will not keep sucking a second after the flow slows down. Even when she is sucking, she is kicking and patting me, wiggling like a little wiggle bum. She hurts me sometimes as she yanks around. And I can't feed her in public because she yanks the cover off and draws attention to us with her chirping. Yet she will lay there as quiet and as gentle as a dove and suck back a bottle in no time flat.

I want to keep nursing, but I also want to quit to make my life easier... reality check, please? My goal has been 6 months but right now I am not going to make it past 5...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 00:42:06 am by teilvnav »
Amy

~Carly~

Re: Could just use some support to keep nursing
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:00 am »
Hang in there!  My DS went through a stage at 4 mo that made me feel like I wanted to quit, too.  He is spirited, too, so I ended up having to try new interesting positions, especially ones that put him more upright.  It is work, but then it is suddenly a lot less work then bottle feeding.  Hoping you get past this!  :)

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 01:18:22 am »
Agree with pp. DSW2 and 3 had reflux and nursing was really tough work early on - especially at that 4-5 month mark if I remember. And I couldn't nurse either of them in public. I did find, though, that it got easier, so much easier that I am still nursing ds3 at 19mo. It was really nice to be able to have that closeness through the transition to daycare. It will get better and in the long run, much easier than making bottles. But as she is taking one, can you get someone to give her a daily bottle to give you a bit of a break?
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline TiffanyT

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • In my flannel at the mall
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 01:43:41 am »
Hi Amy, I just stumbled on this and I am sorry that my post regarding using bottles to top off feeds might have discouraged you (by association, I know it would discourage me). I feel the same way. I'm taking fenugreek, nursing constantly (except in the night, trying to prevent habitual wakes), pumping to increase supply...it feels like to no avail. If it helps at all, although I've just begun supplementing some feeds, I intend to stop that once I get some EBM stocked up in the freezer. I want to nurse as long as little C will take it!

I will continue to follow this thread so that I can also find some tips and inspiration!
Tiffany

Offline Jenn+Ethan+Emily

• Showing Appreciation 107
  • So Big!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:55 am »
(((((hugs))))) Amy!

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:04:11 am »
Oh no, Tiffany, it isn't like that! Don't worry, that's not what made me post or want to quit. I am just having a hard time with it right now.

I do love to nurse; I love that closeness and the feeling that comes with knowing that my body is supporting her so physically. It's just that when it is hard it is HARD. Ya know? Nathan was a biter and I still managed to make it to 8 months, when I quit because he drew blood. Now *that's* a reason to quit. I would kinda hate myself if I quit just because of how things are right now. And yet...
Amy

Offline TiffanyT

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • In my flannel at the mall
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:15:56 am »
Ok I'm glad that I didn't influence you. Do you think it's coincidence that Clark and Anna are only 1 day apart in age and we're going through the same thing? ;)

Anyhow..you keep at it, I'll keep at it.
Tiffany

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:29 am »
Do you think it's coincidence that Clark and Anna are only 1 day apart in age and we're going through the same thing?
That... is a very good point. My goodness!
Amy

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 02:26:16 am »
You're almost at your goal, girlie! You CAN do it :) ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:02 am »
Hang in there Amy!  You can do it!!  Just take it one day at a time, one feed at a time...

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:34:45 am »
You can do it Amy! After all the support you gave me, I know you CAN do this.

FWIW, my big girls are.spirited and around this agebif I took the bottle away to burp them, they lost it. Completely. Flat out screaming and even refusing to take the freakin thing back after they burped.And that's if I could calm them to burped them. I do think something developmental is going on at this age and perhaps a GS . Add your spotting/supply questioning, it's a wonder you don't have even more frustration than what I'm reading here.

You can do it.  I know you can.

Have you considered domperidone to lake up for the spotting? I had to go on it when the fenugreek and all of the other tricks weren't enough and it made a huge difference. I found my letdowns were faster answer something I think a spirited would take quick advantage of.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:35:41 am »
Oops, meant to throw some hugs in there for you too. You're doing a great job :) :-*
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 13:51:36 pm »
Thanks girls, I really did need some hugs and just some 'you can do it' attitude. I am feeling better about it this morning, probably because she just finished a really good feed. Ask me again later after she is crying because my let-down isn't right there or she keeps popping off and won't finish because DS keeps being too darned entertaining.

I just started the fenugreek, and I don't smell like maple yet so I will give it a bit more time to see if it helps. I don't mind taking domperidone if this doesn't work, but we don't have any drug coverage so it isn't my first choice!
Amy

binxyboo

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 17:32:37 pm »
Huge hugs and keep on nursing vibes! This is my third child, and I have nursed them all...ds for 15 months, dd1 for 3 years 9 months, and now 4.5 months in with dd2. She has no nursing issues, latched on perfectly from day one, and apart from my milk coming in late due to my c-section, we have had no real problems at all. But I just feel a bit bored of it all this time round and wish so much that I didn't. My supply tanks a bit round AF, got it back at 2 months this time...boo...so we do EAES a lot as well.

I have read a few of your posts round here, as the photo of your beautiful children always catches my eye :) YOU have kept me going at times when I have felt I wanted this all to be over, so you can't stop lol. You are my inspiration!!

Offline teilvnav

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 18:02:10 pm »
3 yrs and 9 mo?? Holy cow! Now *that* is an inspiration!

Lot of tears today, and lots of popping off to yell at me when my let-down wasn't right there when she was hungry. But I can see a tooth cutting through, so that makes me feel better (as bad as that sounds). That means that our recent difficulties aren't my fault... she is in pain, and it is interfering with nursing. Add that to my supply issues right now and no wonder she is seeing red! Just gotta keep plugging away at it, really... formula is just too darned expensive. xx
Amy