Author Topic: confused about how much how often????  (Read 1294 times)

Offline beckys88

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:43:42 pm »
My DS is 5 months old and i would like to know how much i should be giving him and how often? when i should cut out a bottle etc

6.00 7oz bottle
10.00 50z bottle mixed with his porridge
2.00 7oz bottle
5.00 7oz bottle and half jar fruit puree
7-8 7oz bottle

any advice on quantities and when to drop bottles etc would be a big help thankyou.

Offline MommyMoulton

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
Re: confused about how much how often????
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 15:27:07 pm »
Dropping bottles is a ways off. Milk is their primary source of food until 1 year old.

Your lo will Let your know when to cut milk feeds out. My DS is 7 months and we are thinking about going to 3 milk feeds. I don't think your lo is eating enough solids to cut back on milk yet
Melissa

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:05:52 am »
I agree with PP - milk is far more important at this stage. Think of it as "food before one is just for fun"!

I wouldn't introduce any more solids until your LO is closer to six months old, and even then there's no hurry. It's mostly about exploring new textures and tastes at the start, rather than nutrition, so just follow his lead and try not to worry about how much he's eating :)  If you're worried that he's hungry, milk contains more calories per ounce than solids so at this age you're better off getting more milk into him than more solids, iyswim.

My LO started wasn't having solids three times a day until 7.5 months. We went to four milk feeds then, and three at around 11.5 months. The WHO recommends four milk feeds per day until one year.

HTH xx
*Nuala*

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 21:17:48 pm »
I found the guidance in Tracy's book re: weaning is very helpful if you're not doing BLW. I started weaning my LO at 6m. She is now nearly 7.5m. She has 3 solid meals a day and 4 bottle feeds (we dropped the DF as she reached 7m). She is now taking about 8tsp-10tsp of solids each meal. There are days though where she is just not interested. I tend not to stress about it - as was said to me (and it is very true!) solids are fund until LO are 1!!. I find that my LO is not unsettled and sleeps just as well if she doesn't eat - it's if she doesn't drink enough milk that we have problems.

Sorry i digress... the guidance suggests 2tsp when you 1st start weaning, moving up to 4 at week, and 8 at week 6 and 8 to 12tsp from 8wks on depending on baby's appetite. I think the important thing at 5months is not too give too much by way of solids at the expense of milk... I'm not an expert, but I hope that helps  ;)