Author Topic: Is this Cows Milk intolerance?  (Read 1724 times)

Offline susaninlondon

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:22 am »
Wondering if anyone can help...My son is 14 mo today and is generally in good health excluding the runs of colds/viruses etc they get in their first winter and when starting nursery! Its been non-stop!
Anyho I have been trying to introduce full fat cows milk instead of formula since Jan. Didnt do it before 1 as knew we where going to be travelling over Xmas etc (he was 1 on 18th dec). I started each time doing his only 2 bottles, morning and bedtime (210 bottle with 1-4 ratio of cows milk to formula) and each time I do he seems to come down with something. The first few times I thought it was just coincidence. The first time he had just finished ABs after nasty earinfection so thought it was post viral rash/AB reaction, the 2nd time he got the runs - again time of year, 3rd time cold/runny nose...and so on....so this time was all ready and sure enough within 24 hrs of starting the 1-4 ratio of CM to formula he got a raelly nasty cough...so bad he coughed up his dinner etc.
He eats lots of yogurt and cheese and has milk in cooked food and SMA 2 Formula......but have read that some children can be fine with these (as proteins altered during processing, cooking, fermenting) but would react to cows milk uncooked.
Has anyone got any experience with this? some feedback would be much appreciated......

Many Thanks
Susanx

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Is this Cows Milk intolerance?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:29:50 am »
Many many people, whether it's parents with kids or adults trying this themselves, find that they are healthier when they go off milk and cheese. As a musician/singer, it's accepted that "loose dairy" is associated with mucous production, so singers tend to avoid milk and cheese before performances to keep the phlegm down. And as someone who is milk-protein-intolerant myself (our whole family is), there are absolutely positively intestinal/digestive effects from MPI.

There could absolutely be an allergy or at least an intolerance there that might be worth avoiding diary for, at least in its raw forms. I know some people who heat the milk to about 180F and then let it cool for drinking; if you really want him to have it, that might be worth trying. Here the only dairy we can tolerate is yogurt (and sour cream), so I make a gallon of yogurt a week out of full-fat milk.

BTW, many people with dairy issues also have similar problems with soy; I've read that the proteins are similar enough that in some cases the body reacts the same way, so soy milk may not be a good alternative option.

Offline EloysH

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
Re: Is this Cows Milk intolerance?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:36:00 am »
Sounds like you have answered your own question and just need some reassurance  ;) Everything you have said is probably true and really happening and not co-incidence.  Milk protein intolerance is intolerance to the protein casein, and some who have a mild form of the intolerance can tolerate foods with fermented or lesser amounts of casein but not milk.

My son is very sensitive to casein and when I started to give him just one tablespoon of buffalo yoghurt per day he seemed ok, but night waking and irritable. When I added 20ml of goat milk, the night waking became more intense and small rash spots would appear around his face and disappear after a day or so. It took me 6 weeks to work out as I thought he was teething and just sick... but as soon as I stopped it, he started to sttn again.  

A few months ago I started him back on organic butter and he got cold after cold which seemed to run into one another. I decided to bite the bullet and cut butter out so he has no casein at all. That was about 4 months ago, he is 23 months now and I don't regret that decision. He has not had ONE cold or running nose at all since then!!! It was too much for his sensitive little immune system.  He also has other food intolerances and only just got off reflux meds a week ago.

Offline susaninlondon

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:52 pm »
Thanks Guys, going to call HV tomorrow and see how they recommend we progress!!
Was confused as each time he has different symptoms IYKWIM....never consistent : /

X