Author Topic: Screamer for food, what to do to stop it?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline lovie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Screamer for food, what to do to stop it?
« on: February 19, 2012, 23:07:13 pm »
My DD is 14 Months. When she sees food she wants she screams. I get her milk ready, she wants it RIGHT NOW, she screams. I have been trying to do the more and all done sign language, but I just don't know what to do in this case. Advice?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Screamer for food, what to do to stop it?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:17 am »
At 14 months she might be able to speak and ask soon.  That said, when my son is hungry, if he's reeeeally hungry at 21 months it's tantrum time.  He's recently recovered from a stomach bug and yesterday he was so grouchy.  It was only after a huuuge meltdown that I realised he was hungry.  He knows the words: milk, lunch, food, bread, toast, drink, breakfast, tea, pasta, banana, raisins, apple, grapes, orange, pear, etc. etc. but did he ask for any of these?  No.  I think it's just a 'joy' of toddlers that some of them have personalities whereby when they really want something they get so upset they forget to communicate it and sometimes he's too busy to ask until he's way past being ready.  This is why I stick to a routine because it then anticipates his needs and I'm offering and then he can chose to accept or refuse.  It just got thrown off course yesterday.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Texomamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Re: Screamer for food, what to do to stop it?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 13:42:29 pm »
I often have the same problem with my 17 mo DD2.  She is much more food focused than her big sister, so when the screaming for food and drink started around 10 mo, I was not really sure what it was, since my oldest never did it.  The 17 mo is much calmer and more inclined for wait for things now, as long as she knows it is coming and can watch me prepare it.

Lemonthyme is correct, I think it boils down to frustration on their part about not being able to communicate.  My LO is not very verbal yet.  I never did signing with DD1 because she was pretty laid back and chill as an infant and toddler, but DD2 is much more of a "I want it NOW" kind of kid, and I think she could/would benefit from learning more signs, but I am trying to push her more to use words.