Author Topic: Mucus and Blood in Stools  (Read 1580 times)

Offline lawell

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mucus and Blood in Stools
« on: February 21, 2012, 14:19:29 pm »
Our LO has been having a tiny bit (1/8 teaspoon) of mucus and blood in his stools the last couple of days. He is not fussy, does not have a fever and otherwise seems perfectly fine.

We recently started yogurt and some milk-based formula, so I'm think that could be the culprit. I've read it takes weeks to clear out his system if it is milk protein intolerance. We stopped the yogurt and formula as soon as we saw the first blood.

I've called his doctor, and his regular doctor is not in today. The other doctor says to bring him in but will not give me an idea of what the problem could be. I want to wait and take him in when his doctor is there tomorrow. Is it bad to wait?

What should I expect at the doctor's visit?

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Mucus and Blood in Stools
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 14:48:32 pm »
IIWY I'd go to the Dr. if only for my peace of mind.
Alon has now a temporary milk intolerance and our Dr. said that the clearance take three weeks, with no dairy whatsoever, except for BF milk (which he is anyway not). He said that many parents see an improvement and go back to milk, but that it actually takes that long to clear the body.
But like I said, a Dr. would be my move.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 16:13:29 pm »
I got an appointment with his doctor today - she was just out of the office this morning.

What else do they check for at this point?

Is it mostly waiting for the milk to clear out of his system?

He seems perfectly fine other than the blood and mucus - it's just scary to see blood (as you all know!).

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 16:26:02 pm »
That does sound like a milk intollerance.  Good that you have stopped it and the dr. will probably discuss any other possible diet changes, but that's usually the first place to start.  Milk and soy also often go hand-in-hand, so you may want to avoid anything soy related right now as well and then try it out later once you're sure the milk is gone. But certainly talk with your dr. about all of it.  although I haven't personally found the dr.s to know much more about it all than I have been able to figure out here and researching around on the web.  Lots of been there/done that mamas on this board!
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline lawell

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 14:25:53 pm »
We saw his dr., and she said she's almost certain it's a milk intolerance that will clear up in a few days to a week. We're already seeing less mucus and blood but are anxious to see it go away completely.

Thanks for the note about soy!