Author Topic: I do not like where this is heading, now hes eating less and less, Please help!!  (Read 3945 times)

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
So I was already having problems with DS2 preferring lots of solids over milk, now hes sick and hes actually refusing whole bottles!!! he wouldnt have his first bottle, so an hour after offering the bottle (three times I tried!) i gave only a small amount of solids (maybe 1 Tbs of porridgy type stuff) and 4 hours later he still refused his second bottle, he had a fair bit of mashed potato at lunch and then he only took 120mls of his 3rd bottle, i felt like I had to get SOMETHING into him so I gave him some pureed apple, not much, about 1TBS because I didnt want it to interfere with milk at bedtime. he finally took about 200mls at bedtime so a total of 320mls in a day.... he used to drink about 750mls before solids.

I know hes sick but im worried about where this is leading to, hes still having a feed in the night and I cant seem to get rid of that one yet but its really p!ssing me off (when hes not sick that is) because I know he needs to be having his bottles but hes just not having any of it and Ive even tried giving NO solids, its like he just holds out till he gets some!!

what gives here? how do I stop this cos I feel like now its snowballing with him being sick, plus I do not want him to start waking up more in the night for more milk!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:17:57 am by Avery3 »
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: I do not like where this is heading
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 18:08:05 pm »
To be honest I'm not sure what you can do really except wait until he is better and see how things are then. If he is sick that's probably causing the lack of milk and it should improve when he is well. Keep an eye on his hydration levels and maybe try some cooled boiled water if he isn't taking milk.

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 18:01:10 pm »
right well hes all better now... but still hardly drank anythng yesterday, then wanted two bottles in the night, both still not alot of. last feed was at 1am and it was about 3oz, hes up at 6.20am so I wait till 7am to feed him so theres a good amount of time between the last bottle and this one... he drinks 2 oz.. thats it!!!!! he clamps down on the teat, squirms away, i try for 5mins to get him to even just take it. nope.

So the night feeds have to go!!!! i tried not giving him one last night (at the 1am waking) but because he hadnt drunk much yesterday I didnt push it too hard, but now hes obviously deciding not to drink much at all and its really really getting up my nose!

should I drop solids in case they are interfereing with the milk intake? how do I get rid of these nightfeeds? I mean if hes not taking much during the day he will be genuinly hungry at night, just not extremely hungry. Even offering him less doesnt seem to make much difference because Ive done it before, he either just cries and screams until he gets more or still wont take much the next morning.

I dont think its a prop because he wakes up other times in the night at the moment and I can get him back to sleep easily enough with patting, also his naps he goes down independantly and sleeps 1.5-2 hours wihtout assistance, we never feed to sleep at any other time
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 21:51:08 pm »
I managed to get a full 100mls into him (took half an hour!) and then four hours later hes taken 40mls..... clamped down again and refusing to eat it

Im ready to throw the bottle across the flipping room!!!!

Offline Lolly

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 22:06:36 pm »
What flow teat are you on now? Reflux flare up? Teething? You certainly could stop solids for a few days and concentrate on milk intake.

{{HUGS}} it is really frustrating when they don't eat.

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 22:18:24 pm »
we are on a level 4 teat, the level 3 is for 6months plus and he gets frustrated cos its not fast enough.

dont think its a reflux flare up at all. I offered him solids this morning and he gobbled them up, he loves them but he cant live on them alone!!! and I do not fancy being up all night with him because hes hungry!

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 18:15:27 pm »
well he only had the one bottle in the night, at 10.45pm and took 110mls....
roll on this morning, 7am (half an hour after he woke up) he still only took 70mls then refused the rest *sigh* I dont know what else to do...

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 23:09:39 pm »
and again at 12 hes only taken about 80mls....

yesterday after he did this he was screaming for food at 3pm and so I had to give him a feed (he wasnt due for one for another hour) and he drank 120mls and was happy till bedtime when he took 170mls

thing is, he used to drink 200mls per bottle!

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 18:02:02 pm »
hes still not eating much, he was up all night with an upset tummy but hes happy as anything. he drank 160mls at the nightfeed at 9.20pm but then at 7am this morning he only drank 60mls..

I guess no one knows what this is

Offline Lolly

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 18:08:50 pm »
Sorry! Meant to come back but haven't had a chance today!

I really don't know what to suggest - maybe worth getting him checked out though if it carries on much more. Is he taking water at all? If not keep an eye on his hydration. You can add his formula to food so he is getting a few oz that way if you are keeping on with the solids.

How long is he going between bottles now? It could be worth dropping him to 3 bottles if this is continuing after he has recovered from the illness although it's probably the illness causing it really. If his tummy was upset last night it's no wonder he didn't want much milk really.

You could also try offering milk in a sippy cup or straw cup and see if that is any better. I would also think he is picking up your stress levels if you are getting wound up with the not eating (I know I always did and it's soooo hard to stay calm) so that may not be helping either :-\

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 18:40:56 pm »
Thanks Laura, sorry im just getting really frustrated...

I was hoping to get rid of the night feed before losing a bottle in the day but thats just not happening, if anything its going the opposite. Do you think I should still try and drop a day feed and see if that also takes the nightfeed away??

Offline Lolly

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 18:47:53 pm »
It's up to you really. We dropped to 3 bottles in the day first and it increased the amount of milk she was taking in the day so then we activly weaned the night bottle by reducing it 1oz every 3 nights. Once it got to 2oz she slept through one night so we just offered water after that.

Laura

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 20:40:46 pm »
ok, im gonna try him on 3 bottles today and still offer a night feed if he wakes for it, once he seems to be taking at least a decent amount in his bottles in the day I will start reducing the night feed

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
I do not like where this is heading... Hes just NOT eating enough
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:17:28 am »
Ok I really need some help here, even my Dad is concerned

Ive tried three bottles during the day instead of Four, hoping he would take more at those three, Yesterday he took 110mls at 7am, 20mls at 12pm, 110mls at 3pm (he was SO hungry so I gave him another bottle) and 110mls at 6pm, he woke at 9pm unconsolable and drank 140mls. Then he woke about 8 times in the night needing to be resettled. I gave him paracetomol and Nurofen alternating to rule out pain.
Today he took 100mls at 7am, 90mls at 12.45 and 150mls at 6pm... hes woken up at 9pm so i gave him a feed and he only took 20mls!!!!! i tried really hard to get him to take more and he just wouldnt wake up!

Im up 10 times a night!!!!! I only offer the one feed at night so it cant be a prop can it?? I dont want him to think he can be fed back to sleep but I cant NOT offer him a nightfeed until he picks up more ounces during the day, at the moment hes totalling 11.5 ounces!!

I feel like Im going insane with this. hes also waking up from his naps early cos hes hungry from not having had enough earlier but then he still only takes a small amount so now hes also getting into OT

Im so lost! I took him to the dr twice and both times his ears were fine, he checked him out and said it must just be a virus hes going throught, but something just isnt right!

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
I would be worried too and i would go back to the Dr and explain how little he is taking. Hugs hon xxx

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
and just like that he started drinking again....!!!!

Offline Lolly

Yeah! Panic over..... until the next time ;) ;D

It must have been the illness, and he must be feeling better again!

Laura