Author Topic: back again!  (Read 2112 times)

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
back again!
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:52 am »
My doc has referred us to an allergist for M who is nearly 9 months now. He did not want to but i pushed for it so waiting for appt now.

I have read through the intolerances sticky so many times and just not sure if I should be doing more than I am. There are lots of symptoms she does not have but  a few she does. The main ones are...

She still spits up - it does not bother her but after a bottle and sometimes after a solid feed she will spit up small amounts but frequently. I thought she would have grown out of this by now??

She is a restless sleeper - she does not often need me at night but I can hear her whining or talking and sometimes on off crying.

She has ezcema on her tummy which is always there but gets worse some days. I do keep a food diary for her but atm I cannot see any links.

She is quite grizzly but she is also teething so this could be responsible for that.

I guess my question is whether to do a dairy trial. The problem I have is that she is on Aptamil formula and although it would be fairly easy to take most dairy out of her diet, I am not sure I should switch formula at this stage. What do you think? I would like to discuss it with the allergist but a. it might take a whole to see him and b. i am not sure they will take it very seriously as she is fine weight wise.

Do you think it would be worth cutting out all dairy apart from her formula or is that a bit pointless. Should I look into switching her formula? I don't know why but it feels like a huge thing to do particularly as she has always been on it.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Jimbob

• Showing Appreciation 59
Re: back again!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 13:55:51 pm »
To be honest if you are going to do a dairy free trial you would need to change formula. I don't think removing other dairy items would make much difference if your dd is allergic/intolerant to dairy.

Kelly x 

James has atopic eczema, multiple food allergies, asthma and late talker

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 14:57:00 pm »
yes that is what I thought - I just can't decide what to do for the best.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 19:04:26 pm »
I think you need to try it before the allergist appt. He is sure to ask you if you have tried it as milk allergy is the most common in babies.

I would imagine he is going to ask you what you think she is allergic too - ours did - and then he tested for them. Bloods before 1 - scratch tests after 1.

What is it that you are looking to get out of the allergist appointment?

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 19:07:15 pm »
I just want to sit down with someone and have them take my concerns seriously. I know in the big scheme of things hers is mild but she does get this crazy rash on her stomach and I am pretty sure it came from the egg white.
I want to be able to voice my concerns and make a plan as to the best way forward.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:41:47 am »
I think Becky you'd be best on a dairy free trial. Rosa is MPI and it was the first thing I was told to do. Luckily I'd already done it and could show them my notes and they were able to move forward. If it were me I would get the dairy free trial underway so at least when you see the allergist you wont just be sent away to try it and can get moving forward on testing for other things. R's symptoms aren't the worst but enough to bother her so I felt I needed to address it.

HTH x

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:05:16 am »
so do I try a different formula Shiv  - I have no idea where to start on that?

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 16:42:58 pm »
Did the doctor mention it?  Does the dairy free formula not come on prescription?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 17:26:31 pm »
Sorry Becky must have missed the fact you identified egg white already. That is good to go to the consultant with.

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 10:52:37 am »
thing is shiv the doc has only referred M to an allergist because i have asked and asked for it, not because he thinks she needs it. I really don't think he would give me a prescription for it so it is down to me to deal with it. Some days I feel I am making more of it than it is yk BUT there are symptoms that tell me something is up and her sleep is just not good really. :(

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:56 am »
Hugs Becky.  Yeah my doctor was a nightmare too.  Told me she'd grow out of it.

Do you think dairy is a culprit as well as eggs?