Author Topic: A quick (and possibly silly) question...  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Baby Georgia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 23, 2012, 16:59:23 pm »
Hi there,

I've recently started bottle-feeding my DD and am a little confused about the measurements. On the side of the formula packaging, it tells me that for a 7oz feed, to use 210mls water with 7 scoops of formula. i know from expressing breast milk that 30mls equates to one ounce, and so the 210mls is the 7ozs.

However, when I add the 7 scoops of formula, the total amount in the bottle rises to 240mls, which is 8ozs. Does this mean I've actually made an 8oz feed? My DD tends to finish the whole bottle, so I'm interested how much the little guzzler is taking :)

Which quantity should I count - the amount of water used in the feed, or the total quantity of liquid once the formula has been added?

Apologies if I'm just being a bit dim! xx

Offline Mashi

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 408
Re: A quick (and possibly silly) question...
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 17:14:43 pm »
We always went by the amount you made, rather than the amount it results as. There are only 7 scoops of formula in the bottle and 7 ounces of water, so it is a 7 ounce bottle -  it is just that mixing the two means more volume. HTH!

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 17:17:41 pm »
We always went by the amount you made, rather than the amount it results as. There are only 7 scoops of formula in the bottle and 7 ounces of water, so it is a 7 ounce bottle -  it is just that mixing the two means more volume. HTH!

We did the same. As long as we were both measuring it the same way it was fine.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 17:49:39 pm »
I agree with PP - a 7oz bottle has 7oz of water and 7oz worth of calories and nutrition it's just the volume the powder takes up that pushed the level up a bit!

Laura

Offline Baby Georgia

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 19:43:09 pm »
Ah thanks very much... I guess it works a bit differently to expressed milk in that case, which is why it got confusing. But thank you for clearing that up :)