Author Topic: 6 month growth spurt? how often to nurse?  (Read 2334 times)

Offline MamaBear87

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month growth spurt? how often to nurse?
« on: February 24, 2012, 15:31:55 pm »
Hello I have a textbook/spirited baby girl who will be 6 months old tomorrow..
I have been having a lot of trouble getting her to sleep longer then an hour or two at a time at night which I have posted about in another discussion..I have been making her wait 4 hours between feeds at night..now that I'm seeing some progress I'm worried that when she hits this upcoming growth spurt I will be starting all over again..I'm looking for advice for those who have been through it...
how often does a 6 month old baby in a growth spurt need to nurse..what does your easy look like? how long dI'd your baby go between feeds during growth spurt at night?

Offline MamaBear87

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 6 month growth spurt? how often to nurse?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 15:38:07 pm »
Also at what age do you cut out night feeds? Her doctor told me yesterday she shouldn't need them anymore..isn't 6 months a little young?

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 18:17:04 pm »
For me, 6m is too young to drop all NFs, they are not established on solids generally and it's a lot to expect a 6mo to sttn. Is she having a df? What times are her feeds ATM?
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline MamaBear87

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:53 am »
Dream feed at 10..but she usually wakeup an hour after that regardless...
She's up at 630 nurses her then she naps  830-10 then I nurse her she naps at 12-2 I nurse her she cat naps at 4 then I nurse her at 445.. And again at 530 and 630 then put her to bed dream feed at 10 then she is up at 12,130 I feed her ,up at 230..330..430..530 I feed her and then she sleeps until 630 and we do it all again..I don't know where I'm going wrong..why she still has this sleeping pattern but now she seems to want to nurse at her 12 and her  330 wakeup now to..should I feed her then too?

Offline Roseii

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 07:33:30 am »
I think she should easily be able to go 4 hours at least at night. Although sttn is a big ask, she is feeding rather frequently! I'll see if someone who's good with EASY can have a look for you.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:14 am »
Hi there,
So is your BT at 17:30? And then she wakes up an hour later? I am just trying to picture the night. Is it:
17:30 BT
18:30 NF
22:00 DF
24:00 NF
3AM NF
Is she waking up at other times at night? How are you settling for other times, or are you feeding at all times?
Could it be that she is mantra crying and you are rushing in a bit too quick?

From your post it seems that she is taking two full naps and a CN, that seems like a good EASY to me (if she is indeed having two good naps). The only thing that I can think is that she either got used waking at night and feeding to go back to sleep (and it's like a prop), or she is ready to drop the CN. Has she been fighting the CN or going down well for it?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Roseii

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 09:23:36 am »
I wondered if it was a prop too..

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:00:20 pm »
Hey mamabear- Just a couple of thoughts: It looks like you are cluster feeding in the evening- is there a reason for this? I wonder if she is eating enough at these feeds or if she's just 'snacking' at these?

Also- you are doing a dream feed? I'm wondering if you should give it a break for a while as some babies can wake more often with a dream feed. Also it doesn;t seem to be stopping further wakings, so you may do better to ry to get to sleep earlier and leave the DF for now.

The 6 Mo growth spurt was a big one for us! Hang in there!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline MamaBear87

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 15:51:57 pm »
Her bedtime is  between 6:30 and 7:00
last night she stayed asleep until 11 and i fed her then, i didnt do the dreamfeed i waited for her to wake up then i made sure she was awake when i put her down and she then slept until 1:30 i rubbed her back and she went to sleep she got up at 3:00 i fed her, then woke at 5:30 i got her back to sleep,6 got her back to sleep by rubbing her back, then she woke up at 7:30 for the day.
So that was a good night..
She only sometimes has the cat nap now, only if she was up early and there is a long stretch between her second nap and bedtime... im pretty sure it has become somewhat of a prop..but im just not sure how i can know..she seems hungry and she does nurse it isnt just a quick nurse and then fall back to sleep..

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 21:21:45 pm »
Sounds like a good night! Do you feel she's over the growth spurt yet? It should last 3-4 days or so.. probably not more than a week. If she's over that then she won't need more than 2 feeds in the night. I think you did well feeding her at 11 and then 3.00, i would have done the same at her age. Resettling her without a feed at the other times will teach her that she doesn't need to eat. You can sort of gauge it by what she is doing in the day, in that if she can go 4 hours without a feed in the day, she can definitely do that at night. So if you fed her at 11 then she won't need a feed until 3 and so on.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!