Author Topic: Quick Q About Where To Introduce Rice Cereal Into Schedule  (Read 1624 times)

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Quick Q About Where To Introduce Rice Cereal Into Schedule
« on: February 26, 2012, 17:10:10 pm »
My ped suggested we start rice cereal. L/O is 4.5 months Im not starting until hes atleast 5 months. I was going to skip over rice cereal but I figured its easy and the consistency is great for first time that i may just start with it for a week then move on to sweet potato or avocado. Hes FF and we start our day at 7 am and feeds 4 hrs later at 11 am my ped recommended we give solids before 12 in case of any reaction. Ive heard you should wait an hour after the milk feed before offering the solid since the main nutrition is still from the milk. When should I try that rice cereal feed then? I cant possibly do it after the 11 am feed because an hour later is 12 can i try like 1/2 hr instead he only takes 10-15 min to feed or should I do it after the first am feed? Isnt it to early ? Hes normally awake for 2 hrs before i put him down for a nap. Help so confused with where to try this feed

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Quick Q About Where To Introduce Rice Cereal Into Schedule
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 18:43:44 pm »
Is there a reason he is suggesting starting solids so early?  I would encourage you to wait until 6 months.  And you may want to consider other options, rice cereal can be hard on little one's bellies.  That being said, my 2 were fine starting with the cereal, just something to watch out for.

As far as where to fit it in?  I always introduced solids at "breakfast", an hour after the first AM feed.  Never too early in the day  :)  But yes, after milk so milk remains the primary source of calories.  And only tastes at this stage - it's all about experimentation, not calories.

The FAQ board has great info on starting solids:
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=94.0

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline ChicStylishMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
No reason why except the peds nowadays try to just rush everything. He actually told us we can start at 4 months but of course I wanted to wait! I may start at 5 1/2 months. L/O will be 5 months on March 11. So then our schedule would look like this...7 am feed, A time, 8 am rice cereal/oatmeal?( I bought organic brown rice cereal) by 9 he would be down for his first am nap. When do you normally bring on the second meal? Is there a guideline?

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 13:17:35 pm »
There are no strict guidelines about a second meal.  Maybe a week or two.

Again, lots of info in the FAQs, this thread in particular may help
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57557.0

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months