Author Topic: 12.5 month DS throws all new foods on the floor!  (Read 1681 times)

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
12.5 month DS throws all new foods on the floor!
« on: February 27, 2012, 17:32:05 pm »
Until recently DS has loved eating solids and has almost always been willing to try new foods. We never force him to eat, although we sometimes have to be creative to get him to start eating but he usually eats on his own and feeds himself mostly. It seems like his new way of asserting his independence is to throw food on the floor. He does this with all foods, even foods that he likes. With cheerios for example, he will eat a bunch, but also throw a bunch on the floor, and I can tell that he is doing it to see my reaction. I have been ignoring it until now, but every time I try to give him a new food , he throws every single piece on the floor!

Should I keep ignoring it, and keep offering new foods. I know people say you are supposed to remove the baby from the highchair if he is throwing food on the floor, but if I did that, he would never eat. I am trying to teachi him to put unwanted foods in the cupholder of his tray, but he's not really getting it yet...Any ideas appreciated! TIA

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
Re: 12.5 month DS throws all new foods on the floor!
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:00:33 am »
Keep ignoring it and offering new foods.  Pick it up, wash it off and put it back (if possible) as if it were the most boring thing in the world.  It is purely an exercise in exploration.
Quote (selected)
"Hey!  This is new!  What happens when I drop peas?  Ooo! They bounce ... and Mama gets that funny look on her face"
"Hey!  This is new!  What happens when I drop mashed potatoes? Coooool! A big splat! Look at Mama's face now!  What a weird way she's holding her head!"
"Hey!  This is new!  What happens ..."

;)

Not a spiteful or wilfully naughty thing.  Just a new thing to try out.  Once it's all been tried, and remembered ::), then it's boring and eating to try new textures and flavours will hopefully become the norm.

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 06:58:32 am »
Agree with pp - it's a phase, we've just come out the other side :)

I am trying to teachi him to put unwanted foods in the cupholder of his tray, but he's not really getting it yet

I found that F did like somewhere else to put her food - I'd encourage her to put it in her pelican bib and fish it out again. In the process, some would get eaten, and she was much less likely to throw if she was occupied with that. It's not that the food was unwanted, just that there were other interesting things to do with it other than eat it! But I still wouldn't react if she threw it instead. Lots of practice during play time at dropping things from a small height, and transferring things from container to container helped as well I think.

*Nuala*

Offline amom526

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:16 am »
Thanks for the advice-dropping and transferring is his favorite playtime activity now, so hopefully this is just a stage. I will try to keep ignoring, but sometimes it's so frustrating!

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 00:26:05 am »
sometimes it's so frustrating!

I swear some days this is the mantra of motherhood! ;)

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d