Author Topic: Our blood test results are in...  (Read 4035 times)

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Our blood test results are in...
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:23:07 am »
For those on my fb this is a repeat, though I can go into a bit more detail here than on my status.

Bad news first, Dylan's peanut allergy has gotten significantly worse. They tested him for all 5 protein components (apparently this is pretty new?), and he had negative results for three of them (rAra h3, h8, h9). He had an IgE result of 1.12 to rAra h1 (anything greater than 0.35 is clinically significant), and a whopping 57.40 to rAra h2 :o The paper I got said that this is "often associated with systemic and severe reactions. Associated with cross-reactivity to tree nuts." In comparison, his result at 16mo was 12.8, which they considered severe enough to warrant an epi pen.

Blech. Funny thing is, nothing here will really change since we were already avoiding peanut and tree nuts, but the severity freaks me out. Up until this point Dylan's only reactions have been hives and swelling - they've been severe, but always quickly dealt with by giving benadryl. Now with this result I feel hit by the reality that Dylan is 'that kid' that will react to a trace of peanut butter on a knife or cookie sheet... It just freaks me out, especially with school starting in September.

But there was good news. We also redid the dairy, egg, and mustard tests and all of them were under the 0.35 threshold :D The allergist was quick to explain that Dylan may still be allergic (this is just one test, and a negative result doesn't mean that there will be no outward symptoms) BUT this result means that we can do a food challenge! So I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but they're rising ;)

So we're challenging dairy in April, first appointment available. They're actually starting with straight milk, which surprised me. Apparently they'll start with just putting a bit on his lips, and go from there. I'm also to bring something made with milk just in case he won't drink it, which is a distinct possibility. Until then we keep going as we are, and keeping fingers crossed for April :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Jiinx

• Showing Appreciation 148
Re: Our blood test results are in...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:54:45 am »
Oh Vikki!! *hugs* That is so scary...so glad that there good news and he's getting a milk challenge.

How are you doing, Vikki? Been thinking of you...xox
*Sarah*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 03:00:38 am »
Oh wow! that would be amazing if even one of the foods he challenged is okay! Sucks about the nuts though...that would scare me too! Of course I haven't even had the guts to feed Spencer nuts yet or beg for testing  ::)
Heidi

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:38:19 am »
Good news on the positive results, but big (((hugs))) on the peanuts, that would scare me too.

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 05:00:09 am »
Hugs sweetie. Nuts petrify me and I could only imagine how I would feel with a full blown allergy requiring an epi pen in the house.

I'm so hopeful that the milk or egg works out of you. Those are two huge food groups that would open up some pretty big feeding options.

Fingers crossed for you and I so hope the milk turns out ok.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 18:30:20 pm »
Hugs from me too. Exciting news on the food challenges, REALLY hope they go well!

Sorry about the nuts. My niece is similarly hyper-sensitive - as is the boy down the block. His mom actually drives him to school (he's in second grade) instead of having him take the bus because she is worried that someone on the bus could have trace amounts of nuts left on their fingers or whatever (no food is allowed on the bus). At school it's not too bad because he sits at the nut free table and the nurse has his Epi-Pen of course. And his teacher makes sure all the kids wash hands after snacks and lunch, etc.

Keep us posted!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 15:52:01 pm »
Wow, that is a high reaction to it! I guess they are 100% that it is correct? As others have said very scary - is he likely to grow out of it?

On the other hand fab news ont he other food stuffs. Good Luck for the challenges!

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 19:11:01 pm »
Vikki, how are you doing? How's Dylan? When are the challenges? Did you get an appt?
*Sarah*

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 00:53:35 am »
Wow, that is a high reaction to it! I guess they are 100% that it is correct?
Apparently they did all the tests twice, so that's pretty accurate :-\

Karen, my DH an I were actually discussing that very thing - he doesn't have to work until 10am (I'm at 7am) so he said he would prefer to drive rather than have Dylan take the bus. Exact same thought - how many kids had peanut butter toast for breakfast? It truly does give me goosebumps even thinking about it. I have a meeting with the principal at Dylan's school set in May to discuss everything.

Sarah, the first food challenge isn't until April 11 :-\ Earliest available (there are only a couple allergists here, and ours is the best for children).

Found something amazing at Walmart yesterday - Heidi you will probably want to check it out! It's called Wowbutter, and it's a toasted soy spread that matches peanut butter in taste and texture. Even my dh agreed, and he is a hard man to please! The best part is that it's made in a peanut, tree nut, dairy, egg, and gluten free facility and it's made with non-gmo soybeans. It really does taste fantastic! And it's high in fat and protein which I struggle to get into Dylan's diet. Now I just have to figure out how to get him to try it ::)

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 01:34:33 am »
Oh that sounds great Vikki...will be looking for it when we are in the city next.  I own one tiny jar of PB and I only have it once every couple of months and then scrub everything down. Unfortunately Masyn now wants PB, and I would rather give her that than the real thing!  Not sure if I could get Spencer to eat it, but then last time she had a waffle she wanted jam on it, so maybe I could sneak some on with the jam.

The other good use for it is the dogs...they always recommend stuffing dog toys with PB and treats for them to play with, but no way can I have PB slobbery dogs! (yup...I even check the ingredients on the dog food, have I mentioned that allergies suck  :P)
Heidi

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:57:18 am »
((hugs)) Vikki my friend has a severe nut allergy and the only time she's had a serious reaction was when she accidentally bit into a nut cutlet...Just hope that gives you a bit of peace of mind. Good news on the other bits :)
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~ Vik ~

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:34:49 pm »
I own one tiny jar of PB and I only have it once every couple of months and then scrub everything down. Unfortunately Masyn now wants PB, and I would rather give her that than the real thing!
Me too! I LOVE peanut butter and kept a jar at work - I figured if I had some at 8am, worked all day, brushed my teeth, that by the time I picked him up at 430 everything would be fine. But as soon as those blood tests came back I threw it out :( Just not worth it. And my DH really misses pb as it was his go-to if he was needing a snack. Even if Dylan won't try it or doesn't like it, it gives us another safe option to eat and offer at playdates.

(yup...I even check the ingredients on the dog food, have I mentioned that allergies suck :P)
Funny that you mention that :P When Dylan was licked by a dog last year he had a HORRIFIC reaction. I can't even do it justice by describing it - his face was red, hot, swollen, and insanely itchy. His actual EYE swelled so it was bulging out. It looked like be had gone 10 rounds, it was by far the scariest moment of my life. I called Telehealth, dosed him with benadryl and we got everything under control (thank goodness) but at a doctor's visit after the fact our dr asked if we knew the dog. I said yes (it was our neighbour's) and he told me to talk to the owner and check the ingredient of the dog food if I could - he was wondering if it was a dog allergy or a reaction to peanut in the dog food. (no peanut, dog allergy :() We don't have animals because I'm allergic to them too, so we don't have to worry at home, but out at the park I'm always in a panic :P

And thanks for the story about your friend, Charli. Did her allergy start in childhood? Or was she an adult? My fear isn't so much of Dylan doing something or eating something (he knows not to share food, that some things aren't safe for him, etc) but of the other kids unintentionally (or intentionally, there not of food allergy bullying as you get into older grades) harming him with food. We were at a birthday party before Christmas and the hosts had out a bowl of peanuts, out of Dylan's reach, and within an hour Dylan had hives all over his face. Our best guess is someone having the oils on their hands and then touching something that Dylan touched :(
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:39:39 pm by Vikki ~ Dylan's mommy »

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 14:58:06 pm »
Ugh, my nephew reacts to dogs that way (they thought it was pb or something in the dog food too at first, but we tested it with my dog who was free of most of the top allergens at the time and it was the dogs)

DH hates pb, so it just Masyn and I missing out. I gave her strict instructions last time to not touch or kiss her sister for the rest of the day! (and we don't even know if she is allergic or not yet cause I'm too chicken to feed her any)
Heidi

Offline Jiinx

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 18:41:57 pm »
Hugs vikki....
*Sarah*

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:28:24 am »
hugs Vicki for the peanut results - wow. But great news that there is a possibility for milk .. yay!

Offline Vicku

• "There is no way to happiness -happiness IS the way"
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 21:15:26 pm »
Hi Vikki! Hope you're all well.
Scary about the PB results, but glad the other results were good and hope the dairy challenge goes well. Idk how you manage to feed him, I'm off dairy only and find that hard!
{{hugs}} and nice to see you :-*
"Very Proud Mummy Blessed with 3 Spirited Girls"
[url=http://daisypath.com][img]

I Breastfed DD1 9.5 months and DD2 21.5 months
"Babies don't sleep, they are only on charge"