Author Topic: Straining while feeding  (Read 3959 times)

Offline LivMakayla

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 04, 2012, 14:51:34 pm »
Hi all,

My 4.5 month old DD has been straining and arching forward (as if she's doing sit-ups) while feeding. Actually, she's constantly doing that from time to time throughout the day, but especially during feed. I was wondering if that's normal. This has been affecting her milk intake, she's not eating as much and it has been very difficult to feed her because every couple mls she'll do one of those "sit-ups" and stops wanting to feed for a few minutes. I was wondering if anyone else has/is experiencing the same thing. Please help! (btw, I bottle feed breastmilk)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Straining while feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 15:05:06 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the boards.

Have a look at this link and see what you think http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0. It could be that she has reflux, the feeding behaviour is pretty typical and 4 months is often peak reflux time. If you think it's possible it's worth discussing it with your Dr.

Meanwhile, have you changed her to a faster flow teat recently? If not, that's worth a try too.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline LivMakayla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 15:32:01 pm »
Thank you so much Laura. She has all the signs that point to reflux. I just didn't understand them. Thank you for pointing it out for me. I feel so bad for not realizing it earlier. Thank you so much again. I'm going to make all the adjustments to make her more comfortable.

Cathy

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 15:35:09 pm »
{{HUGS}} - I knew nothing about reflux until I read things on this site, luckily before I had DS as both my babies were/ are refluxers ::).

I would take her to see your Dr, if you can't get her comfortable making simple changes she may need meds for a while.

Laura

Offline LivMakayla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 02:35:41 am »
Hi Laura,

I was wondering if I should change back to a slower flow teat, would that help with her reflux?

Offline LarasMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:14:49 am »
LiviaMakayla: It might. I'm just switching over my experience from breastfeeding to a bottle, so I could be completely wrong. My DD has reflux, and cannot handle my overactive let down and is much happier once it slows down, so maybe changing the teat back to a slower flow might be more comfortable for her.

HTH
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline LivMakayla

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »
Thank you Larasmama. I'll give it a try :)