Author Topic: Newborn with either reflux or supply issues  (Read 1210 times)

Offline 1tamara1

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Newborn with either reflux or supply issues
« on: March 05, 2012, 23:34:20 pm »
Hi, my LO is 6 days old and are having some issues with him settling. I had previously posted in general sleep issues topic but I am now beginning to think its related to my supply. He was born at 9 pounds and in the beginning had trouble with my supply because he was on the bigger side. Because of the supply issues he was feeding for over two hours which damaged my nipples meaning I had to pump and bottle feed as well as top up with formula.

Now those issues are sorted as of yesterday and be hasn't settled at night or even during the day. Today for example I fed when he woke at 7am for an hour and even straight after he was looking to suck more so tried him and kept going but this could keep going and going so we used paci and now ready for another feed. Last night he didn't settle so we topped up with formula an I actually had to wake him during the night every 3 hours for a feed.

My right breast I know doesn't have much supply as this was the one that was damaged most. As mentioned originally we thought wind because he gulped so much air wirh the bottles and wasn't settling straight after but now we're back feeding. Any advice is appreciated, I am determined to BF with this one as I had to stop because of mastitis with my first child.

Would love any hints etc and how to tell the diff between reflux and simply wanting to eat more, he has had the paci the whole time since his last feed and didn't need it at all last night since been topped up with formula.

S

Offline LarasMama

• Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Newborn with either reflux or supply issues
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 15:37:57 pm »
When you give him the pacifier, does he get upset that its not the breast? Or does he suck contentedly? 

If I've read right, sucking helps keep the food down, and so it is possible that it is silent reflux. I mention this because you didn't mention anything about spitting up. Does he arch his back, strain as if it were gas, toss his head a bit? How about fussing during or after eating? My daughter doesn't have the full classic sign of arching her back-- she kind of doubles over and strains as if she's constipated, however with all the straining she lets wind rip with the best of them, and I haven't been having too much of an issue burping her anymore, although that was a huge one when  she was a few weeks old and that's why the doctors told me it was gas and to give her Ovol. My daughter doesn't spit up an obscene amount, however I can definitely hear "wet" burps, she has frequent hiccups (every day... sometimes more, sometimes less but every single day), she seems to be chewing on something and if I look in her mouth at those particular times, there is always BM spit up. She is constantly sneezing, coughs several times a day, and in the morning it sounds like she's congested.

When I went to a breastfeeding clinic the lactation consultant there said a 20-30 minute feed was sufficient (40min was the maximum she said to let it go) and then if she seemed still hungry to give her a pacifier. She had said this because my DD's desire to eat and to suckle are represented by the same cues, and of that she is totally right. She stuffs her fists in her mouth and shakes her head back and forth, rooting. lol.

Reflux is a tricky thing to deal with. And it seems trickier for doctors to diagnose for some reason. I've always felt my daughter had reflux, but the doctors just don't seem on board with it. I've cut back greatly on diary products and have noticed a difference, but she's still rather uncomfortable.
~*Heather-Lynn*~

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 18:24:45 pm »
Hugs, here is some information on reflux in addition to what heather has given you
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0 have a read and let us know if you think your LO is displaying some of these symptoms.

Early symptoms for us were similar to heathers LO with arching and crying on the breast, wet burps and hiccups causing discomfort, smelly small curdled milk spills and a lot of crying, not a lot of sleep :(

Some LOs have a strong need to suck, And is can be confused for wanting to feed. Does your LO settle with the paci after a feed?

When is your LOs first sight check, this will help to identify if he is doing okay milk wise.

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65905.0this may have some helpful info on supply

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 21:48:23 pm »
Firstly, congratulations on your new little boy!

What makes you think you have supply issues because of his weight?  Is this just your feeling or did someone tell you that?  When did/has your milk "come in"?
Have you been able to get any BF help from MWs/HV/LC/infant feeding advisor at hospital?

One of my concerns for you is that if you want to BF him, offering him bottles of formula is going to have an affect both on your supply in the short- and long-term and potentially give him a preference for the bottle as it is harder work to extract milk from the breast.

Are you able to get any IRL BF help?  As much as we can offer ideas and suggestions, it's often easier for someone IRL to help with this type of issue as they can actually see what you're doing and check whether your positioning and attachment are ok for LO to transfer milk effectively.
*** Amanda ***

Offline 1tamara1

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07:26 am »
Hi, thank you all for your responses, will try and answer questions as best I can and will read the recommended information. We have had a not so great day, he fed every 3 hours last night and the feed at 4am turned into an hour and a half because he kept fussing and I tried hand expressing and there was no milk in either breast. We then have him formula and he was fine.

He doesn't fuss so much as the breast all the time but I fed him for an hour before and he waves his head around trying to latch on. He had quite a bit but isn't settled at the moment. I expressed as well today to try and increase supply but I only got 20ml in total but have heard that it can be normal?

We do try paci but he spits it out pretty much as I soon as I out it in, a few sucks ten spits
It out. He actually seems to be happier without it at the moment so will see how that goes.

We thought reflux or wind issues as we had a night where he was really gassy but apart from that the only other symptom is a little gurgling sound after he eats but as soon as he is fed and has ha enough he is a lot happier.

Am seeing the maternal nurse tomorrow so hopefully we can get an idea of how he is going weight wise and some assistance on the feeding, my hospital
Have been fantastic but thought I would see on here if anyone has similar circumstances
As its so frustrating, I hate seeing him upset and looking after a toddler and doing bottles and feeding is becoming hard as I want to just be able to breast feed him.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 19:47:03 pm »
I expressed as well today to try and increase supply but I only got 20ml in total but have heard that it can be normal?

Yes, that can be totally normal.  Some women can get out loads when pumping and some nothing at all, even with an abundant supply.
*** Amanda ***