Author Topic: What do you do with your baby so you don't die of boredom  (Read 5046 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
What do you do with your baby so you don't die of boredom
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:31:10 am »
So now we're at that 2hrs A time stage and I am dying of boredom. Stan is at nursery full time. She squawks if she's left by herself too long. I can't get out too much and besides where would I go? Really looking for some ideas here to help me get through the days.

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: What do you do with your baby so you don't die of boredom
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:36:58 am »
I am so listening in...I too am sooooo bored when we are in which is quite a bit and if i as much as step away from M she cries.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:04:47 pm »
Do you have anyone you can invite over? Other people are a great distraction for babies!! I found it much easier once my DDs could sit, then they'd be occupied with a few toys within arms reach. Does she enjoy tummy time? Try putting her in front of a mirror.
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline Roseii

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »
oh and blowing bubbles is a good one!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »
Do you have anyone you can invite over? Other people are a great distraction for babies!! I found it much easier once my DDs could sit, then they'd be occupied with a few toys within arms reach. Does she enjoy tummy time? Try putting her in front of a mirror.

Sadly not. Really don't know many people in the area, nor where to go to meet them. Plus I still have incontinence issues so not confident about going out to groups or whatever. Most of the mums I know have nursery or school age kids and are back at work themselves.

She likes tummy time for a little while, chats to herself in a mirror, but tbh it's only 10 mins or so.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »
can you carry her in a baby carrier? That's sometimes nice as you can do other things in the house and hve her with you? I also liked reading stories with my guy.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Roseii

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 12:21:31 pm »
it is SO hard at this age. Not too long til she can start solids, at least that will take a fair bit of time :)
Is it sunny in London today? It's lovely here, maybe take her in the garden and look at the trees and grass? Any relatives you could skype and let her in on it?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 12:56:54 pm »
Does your local NCT run a mother and babies group? Could just pop along for 30mins to get out?

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 13:45:39 pm »
hey Anna.  I was chatting to DH about this just last night.....that I feel *so* much less excited about everything with little E than I did when B was the same age  :-[.  So even the 'fun' things, like milestones and when she is being fun, I just don't seem to be as engaged as I was the first time round. 

Practically, we have one of those blow up doughnut things that E used to sit in which helped - as she was more content sitting up that lying down, and seemed to be able to play for longer periods of time.  The sling is good too as then I feel like I am *with* her, without actually having to put my brain into something iyswim.  And I'm beginning to accept that that is OK  :)
Claire x

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:37 am »
I don't know... I was going to suggest going out to a shopping mall/supermarket or walking in a park or maybe a local pool - that's what I did/do and I now know the butcher, the fruit & veg lady, almost everyone who works in Coles, the pharmacy and the health food shop. Just getting out of the four walls really helped me get through the days.

Looking at nature, talking about leaves, trees, flowers, etc. really helped too - I talk in way too much scientific detail but hey, its the voice, intonation, vowels/consonants, etc. that they're listening to at this stage anyway, right? We once bought a bunch of daffodils at various stages of opening and chatted about that for a while each day as they opened :P

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:31 am »
Strap her on you and go about your day.

Mine wanted to be held alllllll day long.  I used to hold her while I watched bad tv.   ::)  now, I miss the holding and being able to watch whatever I wanted without worry about the content.  ;D

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:01 am »
Does she enjoy music? I don't mean just baby/toddler songs. Play real music as you go about your day. Songs you love, or the radio, where every song is a surprise. Folding clothes or washing dishes can look a lot more entertaining to her if mommy is singing (and even dancing a bit? :D).

Samuel loves going outside. He *does* get bored easily these days (even in my arms) so we go outside a lot to give him some variety. It totally changes his mood! I don't know if that's even possible, due to weather where you are, but thought I'd mention it. There's something about being outside-unless it's raining-that is emotionally uplifting! :)

Offline Kiwi_one

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 20:45:37 pm »
At that age, my girls really enjoyed the Jolly Jumper. I could set DD1 up in the doorway of the kitchen and bake or in a central doorway and clean the whole house while she was happy. Knowing that my time with her could be all play since the housework was done helped keep me sane. At that stage, I think I would read books to her (as a pp said, it's about the voice and interaction rather than the content so you could find a non-fiction book with pictures you're interested in so it's not just Spot Goes to the Farm over and over); I would take her in the shower, pop her in the bath, or let her kick in a sink of water; I'd put her in a seat outside while I hung out the washing and sang hymns she liked; and when I got desperate I'd put a music video (like Veggie Tales) on or pull up one of those baby games online (the ones where they just bang the keyboard and it produces music).
Homeschooling mum to Philomena (6) - spirited/sanguine     Bernadette (4) - textbook/melancholic-plegmatic     Zelie (3) - textbook/phlegmatic     Rita (2) - textbook/choleric

...and then there were five!

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 21:18:01 pm »
I found at this age I could get lots done around the house if I kept moving rooms.
B has chicken pox at the moment though and I am wondering what to do stuck in the house all day for the next week.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 23:12:26 pm »
Sadly not. Really don't know many people in the area, nor where to go to meet them. Plus I still have incontinence issues so not confident about going out to groups or whatever.
Hey anna.  This link will help you find centres in your area which offer free groups for you and baby.  They are sure start centres, linked to schools and are in every area across the UK.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10034063
The groups are brilliant.  Usually about 1.5hr long but you can arrive late and leave early depending if you want to work around naps etc.  Every group has a professional staff member working there who are really helpful and willing to mind LO for a few mins if you need to go to the loo etc.  It's also fine to ask them for a private word if you wanted to tell them about the incontinence issues just so you know that someone there understands what you're dealing with.
I've been taking DS since 3 months.  I had to grit my teeth and just do it the first week but after that it was easier.  I can't say I have made any best friends but they are a friendly bunch, you get to chat whilst the LO plays, there's loads of activities and toys that you won't have at home, LO learns social skills and independent play, most of them also provide a drink and snacks for LO (very cute they all sit down together, when they are at the solids stage of course), and best of all someone else does all the clearing up at the end :)  It also makes LO so tired that you are almost guaranteed a great nap afterwards (winner!).
I know you are hesitant but honestly it feels like time off once you are there, even though you still supervise LO (I supervise from a distance now as DS just goes off and barely looks back at me unless he wants a book reading to him or it's snack time).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 23:14:44 pm by creations »