Author Topic: Opinions please - cows milk retrial  (Read 2807 times)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Opinions please - cows milk retrial
« on: March 07, 2012, 22:29:50 pm »
A few months ago I tried to make the move from formula to cows milk (DD was 13 months).  She has Nestle GoodStart formula (it is 100% whey protein - no caesin).  I chose this formula simply because it made sense that it was easier on that newborn tummy ;)  No other reason like a reaction...

So, the first time she had a bottle of 1/4 milk and 3/4 formula, she screamed for a couple of hours and spit up everywhere :(  She has rarely spit up through her entire life so it was clear that the milk was the issue.

Fast forward to this morning, I gave her a sippy with milk in it and she drank about half an ouce (10-15 mls)... seemed very unsettled for the majority of the morning and she spit up about an hour after having the milk... at just shy of 16 months, spit up is unheard of here!  I noticed that she seemed to have a tummy ache so gave her some gripe water with minimal effect..

She has always been fine with cheese and yogurt and is fine with milk in cooked form - sauces, scrambled eggs etc... never so much as a twinkle of a reaction from these...

sound like a protein issue??  Some are suggesting lactose but she would have reacted to her formula if that was the case, no?  And yogurt/cheese would have presented some sort of reaction if it was lactose, no?

I have no problem keeping her on formula for a while if need be... should I just wait a few months and try again?

TIA!

Kara

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Opinions please - cows milk retrial
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 19:23:21 pm »
Hi,

Sounds like she does have a problem with the cold cow's milk. I have heard of this but have no knowledge of it. Hopefully someone will be along soon x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 20:26:36 pm »
Thanks BB :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 20:48:06 pm »
hmmm...I purposely use yogurt for dairy trials because it is low in lactose, and I think with cheese it depends on the type and age of cheese (not sure why I think that, it is just stuck in my brain!).  But then it can't be the lactose if the formula is okay...I remember someone on here talking about the cold milk intolerance, but I can't remember who it is! 
Heidi

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 20:58:35 pm »
It was Firsttimemummy I am pretty sure x

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 21:18:00 pm »
Does it make a diff if I added in that our first trial with cow's milk was in her bottle as 3/4 formula and 1/4 milk, warmed just like her bottle always has been?

She likes it quite warm :)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 22:02:13 pm »
Hi, again - I am not sure but I think that when it is refered to as 'cold' it means that it hasn't been processed by heat like cheese and yoghurt have. I think the heat changes the proteins - that is why yoghurt and cheese are often easier on the stomach.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 22:29:08 pm »
Kara, is the formula one that is more broken down?  Just thinking out loud as to whether the protein and lactose in it has been more processed and is easier on the tummy than full out milk?  Maybe try a more gradual addition, like a couple of tablespoons and see what happens.  How has she been otherwise (ie sleep, poop)?
Heidi

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01:17 am »
She is on GoodStart - it's the one that is 100% whey protein... but it's not a "special" formula like Nutramigen :)

I just did a pile of Googling milk allergy (which it would be if it's the protein) and it seems to manifest as a sinus/ear/cold type thing...

Maybe this is just that she isn't used to the different proteins and needs time to adjust?

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 04:33:10 am »
Gotcha! We only used soy, so I have no idea on the others!  Maybe it is just her system adjusting...I guess waiting longer can't hurt and trying again in awhile.
Heidi

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:51 am »
Ugh - why don't kids have a diagnostic computer like a car does?  I could just plug her in and see what the issue is LOL!

I think I will just hold off for another month and try again... DH had issues with cow's milk as a kid too... but he was more lactose I think  :)

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:40:39 am »
Ugh - why don't kids have a diagnostic computer like a car does?  I could just plug her in and see what the issue is LOL!

;D  now there's an idea!
Heidi

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 15:48:47 pm »
Just had a quick read of the post - will come back when am more with it as currently got a horrid stomach bug ..... anyway - some people (like myself) are intolerant to the whey proteins in the milk - in "normal" formula they are destroyed, and also in most other dairy like cheese, yogurt, etc. - don't quite understand why, but if you heat milk to 72c (a Norwegian friend's lo has the same and was told about this!!) it kills the whey so it fine - her lo just drinks the toddler milk instead of "normal" milk - I don't understand this as milk is pasturised already so would have thought it would be killed then!!

Anyway - I am fine with all dairy, even normal cows milk used in cooking,etc - I just have to make sure the milk has been heated enough. My symptoms were red, spotty skin on my face, and if I were to drink a glass of milk now I would get really gassy quickly.  M's symptoms were (since not being on bw I have hardly spoken about poo!!) squashy poos, like cake mixture!  Both him and Oliver as babies would get hiccups a lot when I had dairy (even in the womb, now I think about it) and Oliver used to bring up a lot of milk.

It's hard to say if M has totally outgrown it as he is toilet trained, but O is def more tolerant with dairy, not bringing up milk, etc.

Forgot to add - both boys and myself used to get really snotty, and M and I had ear infections (O has had none and I have been mainly dairy free and he is 100% for his own food) as children.

HTH - please pm if you want more info or there is more input on this thread and I will come back and read (my cold turkey is going pretty well but since I am here and Mum is here to look after the boys I will have a quick skim!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 16:23:41 pm »
Thanks L :)