Author Topic: daily routine for 2-2.5 yo?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline ~*erin*~

• formerly "mama2girls"
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
daily routine for 2-2.5 yo?
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »
Just looking for some ideas for my daughter .... I"m having baby #2 in a few weeks and my older one will be home with me shortly after that .... just curious how others break down their day and activities etc so that we both don't go stir  crazy! (obviously going to the park, nap time, etc will happen, but looking for other ideas too!) Thanks so much!

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: daily routine for 2-2.5 yo?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 21:25:10 pm »
*bumping* this for you for more eyes

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline j.and.e

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 21:46:51 pm »
My ds was 22mo when ds2 was born and for 1st 6-8wks i kept his routine pretty much the same. Softplay, jo jingles (music class), tumble tots (gym) etc. Baby e slept or stayd in his pram/carseat. After that E started to be awake a bit more and be botherd if we went out when he wantd to sleep. I did more ad hoc stuff, so park, softplay at a centre, playdates, trips to train station, or train rides to a difrent park. Lots of painting, playdough, etc. Trips to the city farm. At 4mo ish onward ds2 wud do an early 1st nap so 8.30-10ish then we'd go out for a couple of hrs with a picnic then come home 4a pm nap/rest. I usd to put ds2 in the baby carier and take ds1 4a walk/scoot for a cn. Xx

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 22:34:21 pm »
My two are 20 months apart. I try to get out to lots of mother and toddler play groups so he can have a run around and interact with other children without needing me to play with him constantly. Also other mums there will often want to cuddle DS2 so I can actually spend time playing with DS1 too.
We also go to the library for sing-a-long sessions.
At home I try to do a specific activity if we are not going out to a play session that day. Moon sand is a hit here as is play doh, baking (he breaks the eggs and stirs etc and I do the rest), drawing and puzzles.
I try to have some quiet time sitting reading a book to wind down before naps or we might spend time talking about the pictures and posters he has in his room. DS2 can sit on my lap for this type of thing and is entertained too.
I try to do house work etc while they are either both sleeping or both awake but happy to sit and watch or play independently. When DS2 is asleep I try to spend that time playing with DS1 so that he gets some one-on-one time. Likewise if DS1 is asleep which for us is often the first hour of DS2's awake time I try to spend time interacting with him or just sitting an cuddling.
When I need to sit and feed DS2 or put him down to sleep I try to set DS1 up with an activity he can do on his own like bricks or play doh or drawing. I often sit him in the high chair so I know he cannot get into trouble while I am upstairs for 5 minutes putting DS2 to sleep. He is happy to sit in there though, I would not do it if he weren't.

TBH I find that a lot of the day can be taken up with daily tasks like getting washed, dressed, eating, nappy changes, trips to the potty and sleep times so other stuff generally has to fit in around that.

HTH.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

atlantamomofthree

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 10:57:31 am »
We went one place usually when dd was that age (park, library, grocer, etc), but the rest of the time at home we did follow a certain, flexible routine. I played with her at least once a day, like playing doctor or restaurant-taking turns with the various rolls. Meals took time, of course, as did things like bathing. She had independent play time (dollhouse, play kitchen, etc). She got to watch tv (PBS, Winnie the Pooh) for an hour or so each day. If the weather was nice we'd go outside and do bubbles or sidewalk chalk. I set up some kind of activity most days with her, like playdough or watercolor paint and would sit there and talk with her while she would be "artsy".  ;) We read a LOT in the evening before BT.

Just some things that came to mind. GL with the upcoming birth!  :)

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:24 am »
Very helpful thread as I'm in the same boat...will come back to see other comments.
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline ~*erin*~

• formerly "mama2girls"
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 21:52:57 pm »
Thanks for the ideas! My 2yo really likes routine (as do I!) so I think it will be really helpful to have something for when she's done daycare and home with me. I really like the craft/arts ideas, and will have to make sure we do those! Looking into free parent-toddler programs as well, ie library reading time, the Early Years Centre, etc. ...  I'm happy that it's spring, and we can spend some time outdoors ... might have to save braving the grocery store with both of them until infant is a bit older and the gloomier weather comes! haha.
Keep the ideas coming! I know right now, PlayDough is a huge hit with her, and "music" stuff .... :) What is this Moon Sand? Lucky for me, I guess, she still has about 2 months in daycare before being home with me full time, so still lots of time for brainstorming and stocking up on supplies and ideas! :)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:14:26 am »
Opps got to read this later!
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 15:55:20 pm »
Moonsand is children's play sand that is very fine. I don't know what they do to it but it molds like wet sand when compacted without you having to add water. But really it is dry.
 http://www.moonsand.com/
We have the construction set featured but they do girlier versions with cupcakes etc. if your dd is more into that.

It is probably worth asking her nursery what she likes to do to see if you can duplicate any of the stuff she does there at home.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011