Author Topic: Lo that suddenly cries during feeding of solids  (Read 1337 times)

Offline snc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Lo that suddenly cries during feeding of solids
« on: March 11, 2012, 04:52:23 am »
Hi
Does anyone else have a lo (mine is 7mo) who without apparent reason starts to cry when being fed solids? Tends to happen  if he is self feeding with rusks etc but can also start when I'm feeding him my pureess of root veg and meat/ fish. He is inconsolable and I have to clean him up and remove him fom the table before he calms down.
Fruit purreess and yoghurt are normally the only non offenders.
It's as if he's in pain. He has reflux but I thought solids were meant to be helpful.
Thanks v much.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: Lo that suddenly cries during feeding of solids
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 16:51:36 pm »
{{hug}} If you think it's pain, I would contact the doctor about it.  I know nothing about reflux, so I cannot help you there  :-\

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 21:12:35 pm »
Oh bless him. Is it possible that he is eating too fast and it's causing wind, maybe slow down and see if that helps. Purees and yoghurt are pretty much drinks really, so he may just need to take his time a little more with the lumpier food. I have read that just because a baby is showing interest in food it doesn't mean that their gut is ready, and I have read about this happening when it's too soon. IIWM I would keep to the purees and try again in a couple of weeks, you can get plenty of nutrition into him without the lumps, you know  ??? There's no rush and no need to cause either of you stress IMHO.

One more possibility is that he is hungry and getting frustrated because he can't satisfy his hunger quickly enough. You could try giving him a small milk feed before hand so he can afford to be more patient.

I guess other than the above there may be sore gums that are causing him pain when eating harder foods but I would suspect the initial suggestion is more likely.

Any of these suggestions possibly ring true  ??? Hope something's been helpful. Good Luck Honey.

(X)

Offline snc

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 13:12:38 pm »
Since I posted he's been much happier. (Will his sleep issues resolve as easily if I write about them?  lol)
I think Sammysmammy you worked it out with the teething and a bit of frustration on his part. He's not that hungry for food tho loves the fruits and yogurts but earlier this week I gave him a large rice cake and with half in each hand that he can happily hold and munch on, he's so much calmer. I think the puffed wheats things whilst soft were too fiddly and the rusks too hard for his tender gums. (I thought he'd appreciate having something to gnaw on)
I'm not pushing getting food into him because he bfs all the time but it's good that he can now partake in our mealtimes.
Thanks to you both for your help.